Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The perfect sleeping setup, mattress perfection

Pitstop Penny

Pitstop Penny

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello everyone! I’ve been on this forum before but left last year when the pandemic began. I couldn’t cope with it all and felt too sad to discuss campervan adventures when we couldn’t go away.

I’m Katy and we got our new VW California Ocean in September 2019. You all very kindly gave some amazing advice and helped set us up! It was hugely appreciated.

I write this from a lovely campsite in Shropshire. And I can honestly say, we think we’re finally getting there with our setup. Despite not being able to do a longer trip in our van yet.

My biggest challenge was getting the sleeping right. I’ve got back issues and now a painful hip, so am not just a princess! Promise!

We sleep upstairs and use a Sea2Summit inflatable mattress and on top we add a deluxe WoolRoom wool topper. It’s just lush. I’ve not tried it without the original mattress yet, but plan to on our next trip. Heck! I don’t care if I’ve got three layers upstairs. If I sleep like a log, I’m happy!

Anyway, I thought I’d share. As I hope to help others. Everyone is different, of course. But this really helped us!

That’s the same as us. The Woolroom topper is a game changer and packs up small. We also use Woolroom pillows and quilt. Well worth it for the comfort.
Excellent! Glad to hear it. We have a feather down quilt from John Lewis I think… and my pillow is the one from home, a Tempur ergonomic neck pillow. I’m a Princess!

I know it’s ridiculous but comfort is so important to get right. I was on the verge of packing in the Cali life if we couldn’t get the bed right!!

We have the Duvalay 50mm topper, and while it is an improvement, I still do not sleep as well as I'd hoped. We use it upstairs and downstairs. Can you provide specifics on the Sea to Summit and wool topper? Any other ideas too. I sleep on my side, and end up turning every hour. We're used to a really good, soft mattress at home.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone! I’ve been on this forum before but left last year when the pandemic began. I couldn’t cope with it all and felt too sad to discuss campervan adventures when we couldn’t go away.

I’m Katy and we got our new VW California Ocean in September 2019. You all very kindly gave some amazing advice and helped set us up! It was hugely appreciated.

I write this from a lovely campsite in Shropshire. And I can honestly say, we think we’re finally getting there with our setup. Despite not being able to do a longer trip in our van yet.

My biggest challenge was getting the sleeping right. I’ve got back issues and now a painful hip, so am not just a princess! Promise!

We sleep upstairs and use a Sea2Summit inflatable mattress and on top we add a deluxe WoolRoom wool topper. It’s just lush. I’ve not tried it without the original mattress yet, but plan to on our next trip. Heck! I don’t care if I’ve got three layers upstairs. If I sleep like a log, I’m happy!

Anyway, I thought I’d share. As I hope to help others. Everyone is different, of course. But this really helped us!
Thanks for this.
Is your wool topper a ‘small double’ size?
Can you leave it on the upstairs mattress with the roof down?

Thanks for this.
Is your wool topper a ‘small double’ size?
Can you leave it on the upstairs mattress with the roof down?
Only just seen this, sorry! The wool topper is double. And no. I don’t leave the topper or S2S inflating mattress up there when roof goes down. It’s pretty easy to set up and take down. I know someone who just uses the S2S mattress as the main mattress, so you’d only have to take the duvet and topper down before leaving camp.

It’s a bit of a fuss but really, totally worth it for the comfort it brings. We slept like happy campers at the recent Green Man festival!