Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of selling….(not a valuation thread)

I’ve ridden bikes for 57 years and driven cars for 55 years (Track and road).Had every type of bike and every type of car yet absolutely nothing thrills me even today like the thrill of riding a bike. If you’ve never ridden a bike you just wouldn’t know what I’m talking about. If you are a biker it stays with you for life.
Strange comment - did you read mine? I've ridden and owned bikes and know what you're talking about - as I say I miss my VFR.
You need to be physically and psychologically in sync with a bike. I lost my psychological appetite for the risk when my cousin was hit by a 90 year old, and is now paraplegic.

Strange comment - did you read mine? I've ridden and owned bikes and know what you're talking about - as I say I miss my VFR.
You need to be physically and psychologically in sync with a bike. I lost my psychological appetite for the risk when my cousin was hit by a 90 year old, and is now paraplegic.
Riding a bike as you know is completely different to driving a car. Riding a bike you are 100% of the time on the defensive. If a car driver is not looking into your eyes he’s going to pull out into your path and say sorry mate I didn’t see you. There is always the chance of something like this happening and it’s very sad when it does. I’ve told my wife ( who rides pillion) I will know when it’s time to hang up my helmet, hopefully not quite yet.

Riding a bike as you know is completely different to driving a car. Riding a bike you are 100% of the time on the defensive. If a car driver is not looking into your eyes he’s going to pull out into your path and say sorry mate I didn’t see you. There is always the chance of something like this happening and it’s very sad when it does. I’ve told my wife ( who rides pillion) I will know when it’s time to hang up my helmet, hopefully not quite yet.
She rode into the back of him at the lights and pushed him into moving traffic. Tragic, but he wouldn't turn back the clock and not have had 28 years joy on his many bikes. He got a good payout and bought a farm with many machines able to be operated by him - he is content.
When you know, you know. I couldn't do it to my family twice.

I learned to ride bikes before I got my car license. Started with mopeds and worked my way up to 1000cc V-twin Ducati's and Aprilia's. Nothing like a dry clutch Duc to move the soul. And while its in the blood there are two places I've lived that killed the desire to be on 2 wheels, Italy and Texas.

Now back in Europe (and not in Italy) I'm thinking to get my leg over once again and the new crop of dual sport bikes like the 660cc Aprilia Tuareg and larger capacity Ducati DesertX are calling me. Glad I kept my leathers and helmets.

Good afternoon,

After 4x years of T6 Ocean we changed to a GC 600 because of sleeping arrangements and the advantage of a wetroom.

In comparison the GC 600 is not my daily drive, funny enough it is not the length it is the height that cause me more problems.

Because of financial reasons we had to trade-in the Ocean, but I would have loved to keep it.

I've learned that the California can be a daily drive (seldom had problems with parking etc.), enough room to bring the family with me, get the shopping etc. But also was a nice base to go for a hike or other adventures coming back in a heated vehicle to change cloth and get a cup of coffee or tea when it was cold or something cool and fresh out of the fridge to drink.

What i am trying to say is that the California ticks so many boxes to use in so many, many different ways that there are not many other vehicles on the market that can do that.

I would keep it and use it as a daily drive, short day trips, as a base for hiking, for weekend tours or (at some stage hopefully in the very near future) on longer vacations on the continent.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Had my 2019 204, dsg since new in 2019.
The idea was we would use it to tour Europe…..then COVID kicked in.

We bought all the gear including massive galli 3….
We’ve been to cotswolds….York…..west coast of Scotland but it’s basically been a weekend van…..actually it’s my daily. Not used it with family since August and with foreign travel a potential this year…..I won’t be driving to the Maldives in the van!!:)

I just worry about giving it up and missing it.
Don’t actually think I’m cut out for camping…

Anyone feel similar?
View attachment 88044

View attachment 88045
HI GJO

Sold my late 2019 Cali after first lock down (10 months old) I sold it for more than I bought it for including the massive luxury tax back then. I missed it massively but after taking stock decided our next van had to be self contained with a shower room, solar, underslung gas, water and waste so we have just ordered something of that spec'

This new van will give us more independence with less need for camp sites especially in Europe, was it camping you didn't like or was it camp sites?

Hope my thoughts and experience help.

Cheers
K

Had my 2019 204, dsg since new in 2019.
The idea was we would use it to tour Europe…..then COVID kicked in.

We bought all the gear including massive galli 3….
We’ve been to cotswolds….York…..west coast of Scotland but it’s basically been a weekend van…..actually it’s my daily. Not used it with family since August and with foreign travel a potential this year…..I won’t be driving to the Maldives in the van!!:)

I just worry about giving it up and missing it.
Don’t actually think I’m cut out for camping…

Anyone feel similar?
View attachment 88044

View attachment 88045
We go through this every winter. But to be fair, we bought ours brand new in late 2019 with the intention of doing Europe for two or three years and then perhaps selling it, making back lots of cash.

Alas, we got so unlucky with the pandemic and timings, that we’ve not yet realised that dream. Now, two years later, we’re wondering what to plan for 2022. Everything has been so uncertain and depressing that we almost decided to sell. Now that the nights are getting lighter, and we’re feeling a bit more enthusiastic after Christmas, we’ve decided to keep it.

It’s a personal thing. Good to always keep asking the question. I hope you have lots of fun in whatever you decide to do next!

I learned to ride bikes before I got my car license. Started with mopeds and worked my way up to 1000cc V-twin Ducati's and Aprilia's. Nothing like a dry clutch Duc to move the soul. And while its in the blood there are two places I've lived that killed the desire to be on 2 wheels, Italy and Texas.

Now back in Europe (and not in Italy) I'm thinking to get my leg over once again and the new crop of dual sport bikes like the 660cc Aprilia Tuareg and larger capacity Ducati DesertX are calling me. Glad I kept my leathers and helmets.
Go for it! c'mon let's see a pic soon :thumb

Let’s hope that none of you bikers out there are insured with MCE. Luckily I changed from them last year and got insured with RAC. But just goes to show even the biggest can fall....

Back