Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overload

R

Roy Haylett

Guest User
Please can anybody shed some light on why I am getting this 'overload' flashing on my display. Admittedly my cali has been stood for a couple of weeks but it started ok and everything is working so I'm just a bit baffled as to why it has just appeared. Many thanks in advance. This pic was taken with everything switched off.DSC_0618.JPG

Please can anybody shed some light on why I am getting this 'overload' flashing on my display. Admittedly my cali has been stood for a couple of weeks but it started ok and everything is working so I'm just a bit baffled as to why it has just appeared. Many thanks in advance. This pic was taken with everything switched off.View attachment 53059
Have you Reset the Control Panel.
Switch Off using L lower button. Wait 30 secs. Switch On using L lower button.
Sorted?

If not sorted then check for any Diagnostic Codes.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.
Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
2. You will get the hidden menu.
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.
4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"
5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear
6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors
7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!
8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater
5 = 5 = Fresh water
6 = 6 = Outside temperature
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof
1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof
1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"
1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"
2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off
2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off
2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30
3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox
3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox
3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"
3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"
3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"
4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure
5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure
6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature
6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature
7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

The message is obviously not correct, since the voltage is showing 12,9 V. If the -24,2 A where real, the voltage would drop fast to maybe around 12,2..[?] and hopefully recover to 12,5 or 12,6 after a couple of minutes when the load comes off.

I had that message (Battery overload). It was the glow plug in the auxiliary heater that for some reason consumed all that power in small bursts. I replaced the glow plug and burner but no difference. Took the unit to a webasto work shop including the fuel pump. They adjusted the co2 and maybe more (?)(they said they only adjusted co2) and after that, all was fine/normal again.

Many thanks for your replies and info wil go do the necessary later this morning and wil report back wiv an update, thank you once again.

Just in my cali now and hav done all what has been advised, ther are no errors showing up for anything hav also switched the unit off and waited the 30 secs but am stil getting the overload flashing, back to the drawing board as they say, many thanks once again.

Just in my cali now and hav done all what has been advised, ther are no errors showing up for anything hav also switched the unit off and waited the 30 secs but am stil getting the overload flashing, back to the drawing board as they say, many thanks once again.
Try starting the Diesel Parking Heater and run for at least 30 mins.

If everything is turned off why does it says -24,2 A ?
Try to mesure each battery with a voltmeter , check fuses.
What happens if you plug it on mains 220v hook-up ?
Try switching on some things that uses current of the lesure bats.

Has it been on hook-up with reverse polarity?
Hit by lightning ?
Shortcircuit somehow during mantenance or work done on the Cali ?

Many thanks for your responses, wil give the heater a good blast tomorrow and see what happens, I say tomorrow as I hav put the cali on charge so wil leave it overnight so it gets a good one. As for it showing what it is on the display I hav no idea, like I said yesterday it had been left standing for a couple of weeks but that is sometimes the norm and I've never had any messages or faults, I haven't touched any switches or messed about wiv any polarities as they are way above my pay grade so am just baffled.

If you work on the assumption that something is genuinely drawing that much current then how many circuits in the cali have a fuse with a rating of greater than 20A?
You could try removing fuses > 20A one by one to see if you can identify the circuit that is drawing the current.

I think there’s something wrong with the control panel or the earth shunt (N162)...

3E60F69B-0DEB-4B72-B2DB-047F38B2AE09.jpeg
F45B9625-6C9C-4DD5-8E40-FED3E8133B5E.png
4C20FADC-EE27-4669-A6A7-D057246779EA.jpeg

Thank you to all, hav just had a quick look emil's post and altho not read the detail just thought I would keep everybody updated, hav had the leisure batteries on charge for the past 24hrs and after unplugging the hook up lead my batteries are showing only 90% charged whereas before the 'overload' message appeared those batteries would've been fully charged so I wil delve deeper into the last reply and wil see what's what, thank you all again.

Think it must be Halloween cos spooky things are stil happening, as said in my last post I charged the leisure batteries for 24hrs and they only charged to 90%, when I went to check this morning it was at 0%, I took the cali to work which is a short 7 mile run and after I got here the display was showing 100%, when it was time for my break I came back to the cali and it was reading 40%, I hav had the heater on for the best part of an hour and it's stil reading 40%, oh and I stil hav the 'overload' flashing at me. Weird or what?

Think it must be Halloween cos spooky things are stil happening, as said in my last post I charged the leisure batteries for 24hrs and they only charged to 90%, when I went to check this morning it was at 0%, I took the cali to work which is a short 7 mile run and after I got here the display was showing 100%, when it was time for my break I came back to the cali and it was reading 40%, I hav had the heater on for the best part of an hour and it's stil reading 40%, oh and I stil hav the 'overload' flashing at me. Weird or what?
What’s the voltage?

Stil the same as the pic Emil. Stil drawing 24.2 and reading 12.9 think I'll hav to look around for an auto electrician who has dealt wiv calis before and get to the bottom of it all.

Okay.
0 % is about below 11,6 V
40 % I would say 11,9 V
90 % about 12,4 V
100 % 12,6 V or higher...
So if the voltage is 12,9 V then it is fully charge all the time...
You could measure the voltage straight on the battery with a multi meter....

When you drive the Cali, the alternator can only do an intense charge (not a trickle charge, which the leisure battery needs in order to arrive at a full charge in the last top up), so it will show an artificial charge of 100%, but if you wait for 20-30 minutes, you will see the actual charge level, which will often be much lower. The parking heater uses a lot of battery for the first couple of minutes, but then uses almost nothing for many hours afterward if it is maintaining the programmed temperature. Counterintuitively, if you program a low temperature, the parking heater will shut off when it reaches the low programmed temp, and will then use heavy battery when the thermostat turns it on again. On the contrary, if you program a higher temperature, in very cold weather the heater will work continuously, and will not need battery to re-iniciate, resulting in less battery usage. Go figure.

Back