Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overnight stealth camping required on way to Heathrow

Martyn 4950

Martyn 4950

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi. I live in Lancashire and my partner is travelling home to the UK after spending time in Zimbabwe with her parents. I won't go into it but she's not too well and is vulnerable to Covid. She is flying in to Heathrow and due to the long distance and flight times , I will have to spend the evening in my van. Does anyone have any suggestions where i can quietly park up for the night and be discreet ( won't have the roof up etc) I noticed my route takes me through the Chilterns, but Im not too bothered where i stay so long as its safe and I don't offend anyone
Thanks
Martyn

Or try. Serchforsites. As it shows park up spots as well as pub stops and small sites

Last edited:
I would use google earth and the little yellow man - look for a nice posh quiet square / street of gardens and hedging in a posh town - say Marlow by the river - without parking restriction and just park up - thats what i do. Have parked in some of Londons finest squares my fav one was Connaught Sq in front of Tony Blairs house - i had an armed guard for the evening - its good fun finding spots

I would use google earth and the little yellow man - look for a nice posh quiet square / street of gardens and hedging in a posh town - say Marlow by the river - without parking restriction and just park up - thats what i do. Have parked in some of Londons finest squares my fav one was Connaught Sq in front of Tony Blairs house - i had an armed guard for the evening - its good fun finding spots

Watch "The Lady in the Van" to see how it's done. Although don't expect a cuppa from Alan Bennett in Marlow. :)

With any luck she will have two weeks at Heathrow before needing to be picked up...

Hi. I live in Lancashire and my partner is travelling home to the UK after spending time in Zimbabwe with her parents. I won't go into it but she's not too well and is vulnerable to Covid. She is flying in to Heathrow and due to the long distance and flight times , I will have to spend the evening in my van. Does anyone have any suggestions where i can quietly park up for the night and be discreet ( won't have the roof up etc) I noticed my route takes me through the Chilterns, but Im not too bothered where i stay so long as its safe and I don't offend anyone
Thanks
Martyn

Outside any VW Dealership enroute; You will just blend in.

Thanks
Martyn
You could try this car park in Chesham Bucks, tucked away

Be careful not to park up too close to the airport.

Local residents are mindful that some travellers will use street parking rather than use a pay car park.

Cars have been vandalised.

Also be aware that any parking on pavements in London will incur a fine.

And many streets have resident permit parking only...again you'll get a fine.

With Covid, there are many vigilante types who will see a camper van and assume that you are on your hols.

A number of households near Heathrow rent out their driveways for a few ÂŁ per night to travellers. Some of them are likely to be open to a habited campervan on their drive and will let you pop the top and provide electric. A google search will throw up the websites you could book through.

Be careful not to park up too close to the airport.

Local residents are mindful that some travellers will use street parking rather than use a pay car park.

Cars have been vandalised.

Also be aware that any parking on pavements in London will incur a fine.

And many streets have resident permit parking only...again you'll get a fine.

With Covid, there are many vigilante types who will see a camper van and assume that you are on your hols.

Thanks ...

Depends how close you need to be to the airport.

I would hammer it down the M40 and pull off before High Wycombe then
head through the country to the M4 and see i could find a nice spot.
Its one of them where you will know and feel that its okay to overnight, only
when you are there at the time.

Plan B would be Heathrow long stay parking, but will cost about 30 quid.

Might be able to help you out ...... what date are you looking at and any idea of the times you would arrive to park up and leave ? ;)
Hi Monty
Thanks for reply. She hasn't booked ticket yet as as you can imagine everything is up in the air at the moment. She needs to come back to UK as she needs medical care that she cant get in Zimbabwe so Im not exploiting the situation ( just saying). I will let you know when i know. Obviously the flight times may not require a stop over , but i need to plan ahead as its a delicate situation
Once again many thanks
Martyn

There’s a lovely little car park near the Air Force memorial... near Runnymead...

There is a truck stop on the A4 about 10 minutes drive West of Heathrow just as the A4 crosses the M25.

Thanks
Martyn
If Lincoln isnt too far up you can use our drive.

Thanks
Martyn
Have a look at cemeteries, often very quiet places if the gates are open!

If you are going to comply with current govt guidance, you drive there and back in the day! Just saying!

Back