Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overnight stop at uk service station?

G

gatvol

We need to go to a winter wedding in the middle of nowhere that is a 3h drive from home. It will finish late. It seems a waste to pay to stay at a campsite at this time of year as it will be a mud bath. Taxis will be a nightmare at this time of year with the Xmas parties going on

Have folk tried just parking up at 24h services keeping roof down, using earplugs ? Say next to an A road ?

Any views pls

Thanks

Cheaper and easier would be to ask if you can camp outside the venue. Often service stations charge a fortune for parking above a 2 hr stay.

gatvol said:
We need to go to a winter wedding in the middle of nowhere that is a 3h drive from home. It will finish late. It seems a waste to pay to stay at a campsite at this time of year as it will be a mud bath. Taxis will be a nightmare at this time of year with the Xmas parties going on

Have folk tried just parking up at 24h services keeping roof down, using earplugs ? Say next to an A road ?

Any views pls

Thanks

Most Service Stations that allow overnight stay charge a flat rate - normally £10 - they actually make great places to stay. They're not picturesque but you get hard standing and shops open early as well as some washing facilities.

We've stayed in one or two, Exeter was great, they wrk best as a way to break up the journey.

James

I'd just find a quiet spot and, provided you keep roof down, unlikely anybody will notice you.

TravellinJones said:
I'd just find a quiet spot and, provided you keep roof down, unlikely anybody will notice you.
What I do is use google maps to explore the area looking for a quiet spot layby etc
Before I set off

Check with the venue too they may allow you to stay on site and use the facilities for a small charge. We've occasionally done that and just been asked for £5 in the charity box.

TravellinJones said:

Not a good idea on services as they have parking attendants who patrol & you may get a bill through the post for more than it would have been if you were honest.

I have slept in services in truck & the cali in france. Only downside is they can be noisy if it is busy.

I think Jones was talking about a quiet place NOT in a service station...

I don't know for the UK but in France, we do have a lot of "space" with nothing else than mountains, fields... where it's not a problem to park for a night. Last 6 months, 60 nights in the van and not one in a campsite, always in the wild.

Google Earth is great for spotting a little dirt road... And not lowered ( :mrgreen: ) 4 motion Cali are perfect to go there.

Back