Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Panorama Roof - Can this be retrofitted?

Thepuma

Thepuma

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I was wondering if It was possible to fit the Panorama hatch opening in the roof of a Cali that doesn't have it.

Would VW do this or would that void the vans warranty?

Have you any pictures of a particular Panorama roof, i think
the Merc -Marco Polo can have one.

It simply requires a change of canvas , so yes it can be done .
If a VW dealer does this there's no reason your warrenty will be affected .

It she one that comes as an option on the new Coasts...but is standard on the Ocean. Its basically just a zipped hatch in the front panel that opens the whole front of the canopy

It simply requires a change of canvas , so yes it can be done .
If a VW dealer does this there's no reason your warrenty will be affected .

Its quite a cheap option new (£270) but I wonder how much VW would charge to have it done?

As said , the price of a new canvas , probally arround 500£

It she one that comes as an option on the new Coasts...but is standard on the Ocean. Its basically just a zipped hatch in the front panel that opens the whole front of the canopy
Sorry, i thought you meant one of these.
images-137.jpeg

Can be done, Cali Chris confirmed on his most recent Q&A video... No indication of cost given...

Just two obsevations:

1. Over time, could the Panoramic roof opening end up becoming a weak point? Zips can and do fail in time. Being under cross tension when the roof is up won't help matters.
2. As far as I'm aware this front opening in the roof canvas isn't compatable with either an internal or external liner.

Might these possible disadvantages outweigh any occasional use?

For VW to do with a warranty would entail replacing complete canvas plus extensive labour charge.
Remove old canvas then fit new one, all chargeable.

Only consolation being a nearly new standard canvas for resale.

I do wonder how often that actually get opened after the initial novelty.

I suggest you try one first because I found closing the panorama roof bellows on my sister’s MY19 Cali really difficult compared with our MY18 as there’s no biased vertical strip to pull the front in by itself and the horizontal battens are difficult to push inside the roof when closing the shutter.

They are difficult DIY fit without taking the roof off as you have nothing to brace it against as you hammer the upper edge seal into the roof channel.

I think they’re about £800 supply only: I guess there may be a good secondhand market for yours tho unless it’s ripped.

Our canvas was replaced under warranty - on our 2016 T6 new one had a panoramic opening.

We use it every single day when camping. For the views but also because it gives the van a much more spacious and light feel when opened.

I doubt it's a leak-risk. We had the same in our 25 year old T4 and that never gave us any problems. The quality of the material seems to have gotten better since then, not worse.

Sure you can have your canvas replaced. Just costs a lot of money. I agree with @Wiggly Woo about the price. I think you're looking ar somewhere around a 1000 euros for the canvas including labour.

Unlike @Wiggly Woo we have not noticed any difference in closing the roof after we switched from the older window-less canvas to the new canvas with panorama window/hatch. We do use a bellows bungee cord.