Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking heater and awning

Padders13

Padders13

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi Folks
Returning to a question asked here a couple of times but not actually resolved, has anyone found a solution to using an awning and not getting gassed out by the heater exhaust? Just take it as read that we may want to use both! If so, can the exhaust be redirected with some temporary device ? Clearly ther are back pressure and temperature limitations but what about a wider flexible piece of ducting and some orifice plate to adapt it to the fitted exhaust outlet. Ours is a Webasto air top with maybe 50cm of exhaust existing underneath the sliding door currently. I understand that legislation requires the exhaust to be in this offside position in UK vehicles. Any other good ideas before we ditch the awing or least go down the electic heater route in the winter, when the awning is a really useful kitchen and dog cleaning area when pitching for a couple of days.
Cheers
Ian

As the exhaust is outside it should in theory be adequately ventilated, the chances of build up are slim but not impossible. A decent CO detector is always a must for me when camping and will keep your mind at rest that everything is ok. Placed at breathing height you will be good to go.

You can also get skirts for vans that go along the bottom, some I read attached them with magnets, that would also reduce the CO that could get into the awning even further.

The key is ventilation, and if you always consider it you should stay safe.

Last edited:
The danger with this question is that it suggests the intended use of the awning is as a kitchen and dog washing area, but any answers could be read by those seeking to use an attached awning for additional sleeping capacity.
If it's just intermittent use as suggested, then I'd turn the heater off whilst in the awning. Turning it back on whilst not using the awning would still require some caution when you first enter it.
These heaters were never developed with the anticipation that a huge bag would be attached to one side of the van.
Can you wind out your (attached) awning fully, and then attach your drive away awning (assuming a large enough pitch)?

I've just returned from 3 nights away with an awning & having the heater running on "1" permanently each evening/night so about 11 hours at a time. However, the awning was only used as a dumping ground, I left plenty of gaps at each end & storm force winds meant plenty of airflow took place. I do have a CO alarm in the van & that wasn't triggered at any time.

All great ideas, many thanks. I'll try the CO detector and side skirt idea then, and I can promise that neither we, nor the dogs or anyone else will be sleeping in it. Despite the minimal risk that indeed could be criminally negligent, as proven in a recent tragic case in a boat on Windemere. Well vented awing, yep, I get it. When was it ever not?

Diesel Engines produce very little Carbon Monoxide (CO). Diesel heaters produce even less CO.
You are in more danger from CO poisoning from using your cooker with poor ventilation than CO poisoning in a Drive Away Awning.
I do have some experience in this area.

Diesel Engines produce very little Carbon Monoxide (CO). Diesel heaters produce even less CO.
You are in more danger from CO poisoning from using your cooker with poor ventilation than CO poisoning in a Drive Away Awning.
That's what i figured as you can't smell CO but you can certainly smell the diesel when stood outside the van - i wouldn't imagine inhaling much of that would do you much good?

That's what i figured as you can't smell CO but you can certainly smell the diesel when stood outside the van - i wouldn't imagine inhaling much of that would do you much good?
Had our heater on constantly for 4 days over Easter. Couldn't smell anything from it.
Frequent use is better than occasional use. Once it has got upto temperature it should be virtually odourless. Well, it is in my experience.:thumb

Had our heater on constantly for 4 days over Easter. Couldn't smell anything from it.
Frequent use is better than occasional use. Once it has got upto temperature it should be virtually odourless. Well, it is in my experience.:thumb
ok, makes sense, when i have mine on i rarely open the door, except for obvious reasons ;) probably only noticed it when 1st turning on. ours was on 3 nights for 10/11 hours at a time, really pleased with it, just proves how versatile the cali is - weather is not a problem :thumb

Agree with welsh gas, who has years and years of sending people to sleep with various gaseous and intravenous substances :D The heater used constantly rather than off/on and occasionally works much better.

I haven't bumped anyone off all winter with mine and on a few occasions it has been run for extended periods and becomes almost odourless, the only sign that it is working being warmth in the van and the slight resemblance to being under the Heathrow runway when stood outside.

The burning smell from ours was a bot of a shock when we first turned it on but that dissapaited within about 10 minutes. Very impressed with the heat it blasts out. We kept it on low all night (apparently the dogs were getting cold - hmmm). I know it is probably pennies but has anyone worked out how much it costs to run?

Apparently it's about 0.4L an hour... burning all that time for an hour which of course most times it doesn't.

I have spent some very cold nights in the Cali, heater blasting away from 3pm to getting moving the following day, and never noticed the fuel gauge move.

Ours is a Webasto unlike the SE standard but like Granny Jen infers, the sound is redolent of a jet fighter spooling up ( which I love BTW) I think the procurement manager ( Mrs Padders) had the dogs in mind when we had it fitted, as after a frosty night pre heater in Eskdale last autumn, the older dog (see avatar) sulked for a whole morning. Certainly it's not smelly after the first few minutes and had been said just seems to sip fuel even when running all night. Anyway, we have a lots more confidence now to give it a try with the awning. If we decide to dodge showers this weekend it will just be for a awningless sneaky wild camp, but weekend after we are booked for Culzean Castle and Mrs Padders has her heart set on using the awning. Fingers crossed for the famous Culzean sunset to be washed down with a glass or two of the red stuff. We really appreciate all the replies, many thanks, Ian

Further to this, we tried out the heating/ awning combo this weekend in Jedburgh (Culzean was closed for repairs) we had the side parts of the driveaway open and no skirt, so quite draughty. No issue at all running the Webasto for a coulpe of hours evening and morning, just a few seconds of fumes on start up and shut down. We were nice and toasty mind you. Top tip...Cali Cosy. It's made all the difference.
Cheers
Ian

Having just bought an awning, came across this thread...
I'm quite reassured by @WelshGas but was wondering if, were I to get down on hands & knees, I would be able to see the heater exhaust outlet? This would help me decide on skirts or, possibly, the kyham blow up baffle.

Having just bought an awning, came across this thread...
I'm quite reassured by @WelshGas but was wondering if, were I to get down on hands & knees, I would be able to see the heater exhaust outlet? This would help me decide on skirts or, possibly, the kyham blow up baffle.
On the first page of this tread you get to the situ from underneeth the Cali looking at the aux.heater exhaust ....and lots of other usefull info...;)
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cali-technical-tips-tricks.9457/