Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking heights etc

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I think someone recenetly asked about parking in multi storey car parks.

This is the every expensive (£4.50 an hour) NCP Hallam car park in Sheffiled. they didn't show the prices until you were inside.Img_1558.jpgImg_1560.jpg

Good afternoon,

Thank you for the pictures (you must be a brave person :oops:).

The only restriction I feel with the California is parking. In my mind the minimum heights for a car park was 2.1m. Unfortunately there are not many of them in Dublin. The lucky part is that there is a 2.1 m car park at Terminal 2 in Dublin airport. :)

Many of the car parks are 2 m. I was not quite sure if the van will fit in there. I thought with the awning it will just reach the 2 m. Also if there are only a few cm to spare, I wasn't quite sure if there are implications inside the car park on ramps going to the next level.

I need to test it at some day myself.

Happy California.
Eberhard

If the barrier says 2.0m then you are fine as it takes the slopes etc into account; The height bar relates to lowest point in the entire car park (often a water pipe or some overhead ducting)

Our local tesco just covered up all the metric measurements for some odd reason, I guess someone hit something they shouldnt have been able to hit?

Always feels close in the cali even when you've got 10cm clearance.

My Cali isn’t with me today, but I’m thinking the tailgate with VW bike rack fitted ends up adding height once the tailgate is opened.
Extra caution needed when parked in low roofed car parks.
Being tall means I’ve my own built in height sensor, with bumps to prove it.

You're brave !!! :oops:

Someone on here once posted the following link, which not only tells you the prices but also the height restriction:

https://en.parkopedia.co.uk

I've saved it as a favourite so I can quickly check my options if I'm going somewhere new.

I have parked in all of the central Brighton ones marked as 2.0m on Parkopedia, and had no issues in our Cali.

I have parked in all of the central Brighton ones marked as 2.0m on Parkopedia, and had no issues in our Cali.

Sounds about right...

Also discussed on this post a few years ago.. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/height-of-the-california.20409/

The limit in the original post is 1.98m, hence the 'brave' comment.

I use 2m as my 'if no other option' limit generally, but will go somewhere with a higher limit if I can. The site is useful for cost, opening times and a host of other stuff as well, plus just knowing where the car parks locations are when going to a new place.

I am regularly taking a 1.90m ferry :) In most cases, these limits have some decent tolerances.

I will never park up in multi storage parkings, or undergrounds. I don't like the slopes, small entrances, sharp curves...
I will cross every barrier from 2m and up. Very easy at toll roads in France. Near to no queue in those 2m restricted lanes.

Our local tesco just covered up all the metric measurements for some odd reason, I guess someone hit something they shouldnt have been able to hit?

Always feels close in the cali even when you've got 10cm clearance.
I presume now we've left we'll be going back to feet and inches........

I was told I need 2.1 absolute minimum as the awning takes it over 2m. Measurements came from VW. Got my roof scratched going under a 2.2m last year so would never risk a multi storey.

I was told I need 2.1 absolute minimum as the awning takes it over 2m. Measurements came from VW. Got my roof scratched going under a 2.2m last year so would never risk a multi storey.
Whoever gave you that information at VW is wrong.
The T5, T5.1 and T6 fitted with the VW awning made by Thule Omnistor is under 2m, provided it is fitted with VW wheels and the correct tyres.
The standard awning is no higher than the centre point of the roof which is concave in nature.
I also have a Solar Panel on top and have no problem parking here. 2M Limit.View attachment 55057

The T5, T5.1 and T6 fitted with the VW awning made by Thule Omnistor is under 2m, provided it is fitted with VW wheels and the correct tyres.
The standard awning is no higher than the centre point of the roof which is concave in nature.
I also have a Solar Panel on top and have no problem parking here.Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 14.56.56.jpg

If the barrier says 2.0m then you are fine as it takes the slopes etc into account; The height bar relates to lowest point in the entire car park (often a water pipe or some overhead ducting)
The sign in my photo says it is the maximum height, which is weird. I didn't really pay attention at the time. As long as I can get under the bar, I will give it a go.

I also have a Solar Panel on top and have no problem parking here. 2M Limit.View attachment 55057
Mine absolutely won’t go under any 2m height barriers around me. I’ve tried numerous sites and it won’t go without scraping the roof.

Mine absolutely won’t go under any 2m height barriers around me. I’ve tried numerous sites and it won’t go without scraping the roof.
Standard wheels and suspension? Likewise Thule/Omnistor awning?

According to VW it should fit. Measurements for a 2005/6 California.

77E6932E-FE2F-4875-8073-EDBEF1BCB32B.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine certainly does. Maybe the 4Motion suspension makes the back lift up more, making the height just a tad higher? Mine sags at the back, so maybe just low enough for all the barriers?

I'll have ago at anything that says 2m, that 1.98m is just nasty and anyone over 6'6" is gonna have a sore head.

My T4 Cali has flexible solar, Uwin cargo rails and is exactly 1.98m, you can't have a F45 awning in that height, the F35 Pro only the brackets are slightly higher but still at 1.98.

Have only had to reverse out of a parking in Austria there was no height marking until the barrier.

Here in Turin theres only 2 underground parkings you can park in, Piazza Vittorio Veneto on Via Poh its a bit tight and tight corners but it will fit, and Corso Giacomo Matteotti which is new but strangely straight off a set traffic lights, all others are 1.90, thats all I have found so far, street parking can be fun.

In Italy its general safe to street park, theres campers everywhere but don't enter the Turin ZTL area during operation hours €200 fine, theres lots of free parking in most towns, Park for Night is the best option

Back