Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Underground Car Parks - do you duck as well?

GuyB said:
Got to say - have been into lots of 2m carparks - they all feel tight and scary but not hit anything. Trust the sign, live on the edge and, if all else fails, there's always insurance! Don't restrict your movements!

We have a telepeage token for the autoroutes in france and use the 2 metre barriers all the time and no problem

John :upsidedown

johntowers46 said:
We have a telepeage token for the autoroutes in france and use the 2 metre barriers all the time and no problem

John :upsidedown

I use the Telepeage token also and find it great. However in France they know what 2 metres means. In the UK all to often they think its 6ft-6in. I wouldn't trust a UK 2 metres with a barge pole. some might be OK, others well, its in the lap of the Gods or someone with a guessing stick in the Town Hall.

Have Fun

Bob

Yes I do duck and I have reversed out of a multi story when the slope of floor and roof looked too tight.
Sue :oops:

I have similar problems with ordinary car parks which have a height barrier…. many have a 6ft 6 in barrier as a deterrent to gypsies…but they also deter me.

Not really a car park, but the french autoroutes have a 'fast lane' through the toll booths where if you have the correct telepayage thingy you can go through at up to 30kph. They are at exactly 2.00m, its a little nerve wracking approaching them at that speed, but you have to eventually trust that they have a tape measure, and the California hasn't grown since the last one you went underneath.

I will put a separate post on how to get that 'plip' for the windscreen in the UK as it can save loads of time at the holiday season - you play 'hare and tortoise' with english sports cars who zoom past and then sit in a queue to pay.

Can assure Cali visitors to Harrogate that the 2.1m sign at the Victoria car park is accurate and as far as I recall no lights etc although it does seem low. But I would swear that Marseilles MuCEM carpark is lower than 2.00m. So if you are visiting that - the first level is not restricted height wise so if there is an available space take it immediately rather than do what we did which is to head straight towards the lower floor. By the time we had refused and got back round the only space was taken by a car. Have avoided rough surface carparks - 5mm isn't enough leeway for odd ruts bumps and stones. Might try the telepeage though.

Ha! We don't risk going in a multi-storey car park these days, after an 'incident' at one in Staines. We got under the barrier ok, but once in, realised that the roof sloped and it was too risky to park anywhere, so decided to go out again. But the out-barrier was drooping down a bit and got caught on the top of the bike rack, so I had to get out and lift it up while OH drove out, then I jumped in quick and we drove away with the security man running after us shouting. Never again!

I went for an MTB ride a while back and used the Cali to get there; the car park had a fairly low height barrier but there was enough room (yes I did duck!).

A fellow rider arrived with his estate car and bike on the roof; he saw me waiting and turned into the car park; my frantic waving wasn't spotted. Ripped the roof rails off, broke the barrier and wrecked a £2500 bike.

Oops.

Not really a car park, but the french autoroutes have a 'fast lane' through the toll booths where if you have the correct telepayage thingy you can go through at up to 30kph. They are at exactly 2.00m, its a little nerve wracking approaching them at that speed, but you have to eventually trust that they have a tape measure, and the California hasn't grown since the last one you went underneath.

Is that OK in a standard non-lowered Cali with awning? We have an APRR token that we plan to use with the Cali when is delivered.

Thanks

Back