Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking like in the brochure ! (Day picnics)

edocali

edocali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi I would like to park in places where we can have day picnics by the side of the van, awning opened.
Most parking sites are paved and one needs to drag all picnic stuff from the van on a nearby grass field/beauty spot.

I would love instead to find some nice spots where I can park on the grass, open the awning and start cooking ...
Sure I could check-in in some campsite but for a day-only stay, e.g. lunch or dinner that feels excessive.

Any suggestions ?

PS I live in Surrey not in Norway or Finland ....

Last edited:
Might be a bit far from Surrey for a day trip but my favourite is Stonebarrow Lane in Charmouth.

Hi I would like to park in places where we can have day picnics by the side of the van, awning opened.
Most parking sites are paved and one needs to drag all picnic stuff from the van on a nearby grass field/beauty spot.

I would love instead to find some nice spots where I can park on the grass, open the awning and start cooking ...
Sure I could check-in in some campsite but for a day-only stay, e.g. lunch or dinner that feels excessive.

Any suggestions ?

dunno if still possible now. But during lockdown the parking spots on the grass verge in denley’s vineyard were perfect while main building was closed.

We also used a few pub car parks when the pubs weren’t allowed to be open (checked with owners first of course).

we’ve also done 2 trips to the open air cinema at tulley’s farm in Sussex and made ourselves right at home. Was great.

other than this, I’d be interested if you find any other quite spots. I’m sure there’s loads especially around the Surrey hills out in the country. Even some greens where you can park on road but roll out the awning onto the grass/green would be nice.

Try Ness Head near Bridgend. Also take the road from Bridgend through Ogmore by Sea then just before the road turns away inland from the coast there is a large green area where lots of folk do exactly what you say.

Try Ness Head near Bridgend. Also take the road from Bridgend through Ogmore by Sea then just before the road turns away inland from the coast there is a large green area where lots of folk do exactly what you say.
Thanks will keep in mind that when I'll be able to do a longer trip !

A number of National Trust or English Heritage carparks have a nice vista. You’ll often find other campervans parked up doing the same.

I’ve also wondered why campsites have never thought to offer day passes for use of a pitch and the facilities during the daytime. I reckon it’d catch on if they did in the right locations.

A number of National Trust or English Heritage carparks have a nice vista. You’ll often find other campervans parked up doing the same.

I’ve also wondered why campsites have never thought to offer day passes for use of a pitch and the facilities during the daytime. I reckon it’d catch on if they did in the right locations.

or better still Covid pubs where you order drinks to be delivered to your camper/car. It’s the future!

Where is Ness Head? I grew up in Ogmore and I've never heard of it

anywhere ???? - any woodland any river / lake / verge - just get out and drive

great suggestion. This thread reminded me of this spot so took the family there after school today. Birthday cake (mine) and took the kids in turns out on the iSUP on the Thames.

View attachment 65824

although I should have taken this picture the other direction and actually got the river in. :oops:

Any suggestions ?

I know exactly what you mean. I’ve gone to a dozen different spots and set up just like the photo but the girl hasn’t turned up. I’m left there like an idiot on one aching leg, pretending to drink a brew that’s gone cold, under my shoddy baggy awning but still nothing. I’m giving up.
417A9225-DA73-43EA-A9C3-47518CDC216A.jpeg

Back