Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking like in the brochure ! (Day picnics)

I know exactly what you mean. I’ve gone to a dozen different spots and set up just like the photo but the girl hasn’t turned up. I’m left there like an idiot on one aching leg, pretending to drink a brew that’s gone cold, under my shoddy baggy awning but still nothing. I’m giving up.
View attachment 65826
Clearly social distancing. He has no fixed abode and she's his parole officer.

We’re also in Surrey and find West Wittering good for the day. You can get there in just over an hour (we’re very close to Guildford). As the kids are back at school now you should be able to get sufficient space to open up the awning and spread yourself about. Have a look at the website as you have to book in advance.
Lepe Beach in the New Forest is also a good day out. Head for the smaller car park away from the main car park. It’s about 200m to along the coast road. If you get there early and park at the front you’ll get great views.
Yeah always see campers set up along the back against the fence with awnings and wind breaks setup. Great setup with the facilities so close to the beach too.

top of Box Hill?

I used to live in Thames Ditton & rode motorbikes all over there, down the A3 to the punch bowl & over toward Haywards Heath / across West Sussex - it's chokka with scenic spots & NT houses.

top of Box Hill?

took the Cali up there a few weeks back. Chocka and lots of tight passes on the way up and down with on coming vehicles. Lovely once you make it up there though.

We quite regularly go to Ashdown Forest - a number of car parks and good walking with lovely views. Put out the awning table and chairs and have a relaxing lunch with a few rounds of cards / other games l, coffee and then drive home.

Hi I would like to park in places where we can have day picnics by the side of the van, awning opened.
Most parking sites are paved and one needs to drag all picnic stuff from the van on a nearby grass field/beauty spot.

I would love instead to find some nice spots where I can park on the grass, open the awning and start cooking ...
Sure I could check-in in some campsite but for a day-only stay, e.g. lunch or dinner that feels excessive.

Any suggestions ?

PS I live in Surrey not in Norway or Finland ....
Adverts lie. Not that easy even in Norway today :)

St Andrews West Sands road has plenty of grassy areas to park on, even during the summer peak season.

Hi I would like to park in places where we can have day picnics by the side of the van, awning opened.
Most parking sites are paved and one needs to drag all picnic stuff from the van on a nearby grass field/beauty spot.

I would love instead to find some nice spots where I can park on the grass, open the awning and start cooking ...
Sure I could check-in in some campsite but for a day-only stay, e.g. lunch or dinner that feels excessive.

Any suggestions ?

You could just do this (like we did at the weekend)

09C4345A-0AFB-415A-AC0E-8781B4411037.jpeg

We were in North Wales last week and visited Black Rock Sands, Morfa Bychan, Porthmadog. You can just drive on to the beach, and we did. £5:00 for the day, or free after 4pm. Amazing beach with stunning inland views.

View attachment 66259

View attachment 66260
I remember going there on holiday with my parents, back in the 70's. Might go back for a nostalgic re-visit. And there's also the Ffestiniog railway and Portmeirion nearby. Holiday heaven.

I remember going there on holiday with my parents, back in the 70's. Might go back for a nostalgic re-visit. And there's also the Ffestiniog railway and Portmeirion nearby. Holiday heaven.
Whilst you are passing through Porthmadog...

Whilst you are passing through Porthmadog...

It was a great place to be on holiday. Unfortunately the Ffestiniog railway is currently only operating a very limited service due to the impact of Coronavirus. We wanted to walk around Portmeirion, but they don’t allow dogs on site and our two were on holiday with us.
Is the Purple Moose Brewery good. I noticed it, and the shop selling their branded merchandise next door, when we were in Porthmadog.

Any suggestions ?

We’ll often (well, before lockdown) go to a national trust site getting there early so we can pick an end parking space with grass to the side, then when returning to the van put out the awning, eat, chill out, whatever. Our little grandkids love it.

We’ve got the camping stove out and made a cuppa before, but only ever once cooked dinner and that was because we bought the meat in their shop. Wasn’t anyone around to say we couldn’t.

Any suggestions ?

Think about where you’d like to go and take a look on Google maps or Earth in satellite view. I often have a virtual pootle round to suss out Places we fancy visiting. Arrive early to park and avoid disappointment. If you’re cooking outside make sure it’s okay fire risk wise. Choose a nice clean heat source like gas so you don’t draw attention to yourselves by sending out smoke signals.

Back