Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking near Barcelona

V

Volky

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello, hoping someone can help. We are travelling around northern Spain this summer and thinking about visiting Barcelona for a day or two. We will have the Cali fully loaded (including four bikes on the rack) and therefore thinking the best option is to park in a secure parking facility on the outskirts of the city and get public transport in. Just wondering if anyone has done something similar and has any suggestions for secure parking and transfers into the city. Alternatively, if anyone knows of a secure carpark in the city which we will fit into (both height and length!), that would be great . Thank you all!

Hello, hoping someone can help. We are travelling around northern Spain this summer and thinking about visiting Barcelona for a day or two. We will have the Cali fully loaded (including four bikes on the rack) and therefore thinking the best option is to park in a secure parking facility on the outskirts of the city and get public transport in. Just wondering if anyone has done something similar and has any suggestions for secure parking and transfers into the city. Alternatively, if anyone knows of a secure carpark in the city which we will fit into (both height and length!), that would be great . Thank you all!
Airport?

Consell de Cent 327, in the middle of the center center. In this one I keep my keys. In some other typical city parkings they ask your key, as sometimes they put the cars in tripple lines, depending on how long you tell them you would be out. But don't worry, never had anything damaged or stolen.

Last edited:
I always thought the warnings were an exageration but they arent, be really cautious of pick pockets, I literally caught one trying to pick pocket me on my first day there. A story for another day and another topic.

My solution was to camp at Villanova Park, excellent site about 18kms South of Barcelona with a frequent bus service from outside the door into Barcelona. We found most secure parking places have a height limitation too.

Tom

I always thought the warnings were an exageration but they arent, be really cautious of pick pockets, I literally caught one trying to pick pocket me on my first day there. A story for another day and another topic.
In the narrow streets of the Barri Gotic (medieval part) I imagine. But then again, I always am prudent, in whatever city. And to be fair to my beloved city, in the 35 years I visit Barcelona, 12 times a year, I only once saw an accident (and I caught the thieve-junk as well).
To come back to the parking issue, these smaller parking units in the courtyards of the Eixampla are trustworthy, often used by residents and local employees, not so much tourists. The small scale makes the guards have an eye on things. But as often in Southern Europe, parking spaces and internal circulation always seem to be based on Panda and Uno size. So advised to get used to your van dimensions well before diving into them.

Last edited:
It was not in a narrow street, it was outside a bar late at night, with a quiet street. He maybe wrongly thought I was drunk, tried a distraction but I clocked his game. I got my foot behind his leg and grabbed his hand as he went for my wallet (front jean pocket) and pushed it back and he stumbled away from me. He was shocked I figured out his game. Just avoid high fives, people throwing things,, shaking hands, people claiming you've dropped your wallet/five euros etc etc and you will be good.

There were car parks near to the La Rambla which seemed a little expensive but very secure if you want to be right in the centre, but it didn't look easy to drive in there single lane, .

Last edited:
It was not in a narrow street, it was outside a bar late at night, with a quiet street. He maybe wrongly thought I was drunk, tried a distraction but I clocked his game. I got my foot behind his leg and grabbed his hand and pushed it back and he stumbled away from me. He was shocked I figured out his game. Just avoid high fives, people throwing things,, shaking hands, people claiming you've dropped your wallet/five euros etc etc and you will be good.

There were car parks near to the La Rambla which seemed a little expensive but very secure if you want to be right in the centre, but it didn't look easy to drive in there single lane, .
The ones at the Placa de Cataluña at the start of the Ramblas are too low.
(My bravery: I heard a man screaming in the Barri to 'stop the thieve', saw a guy escaping towards me with a purse in his hands, and I just put my foot at the right moment. The robbed person then later on did the rest)

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, really helpful too. Must admit that we’re a bit wary of driving into Barcelona just because of the risk of theft, which is why we thought we’d park a little way outside - thought of the airport but I wondered if that was far enough away/ secure. But I see someone in the past has used a campsite at Mataro, maybe that’s the answer - we’d prefer to be further south but there is only so much driving we want to do in 2 weeks...

Thanks for your replies, really helpful too. Must admit that we’re a bit wary of driving into Barcelona just because of the risk of theft, which is why we thought we’d park a little way outside - thought of the airport but I wondered if that was far enough away/ secure. But I see someone in the past has used a campsite at Mataro, maybe that’s the answer - we’d prefer to be further south but there is only so much driving we want to do in 2 weeks...
If you have bikes on a VW rack then the height restriction will catch you out for the multi storey airport parking and the van parking is pretty open and looks vulnerable, I used it briefly and was relieved to return after only one hour and find my van and bikes intact! We have been to Barcelona by camp[er each year for the past five years and the only way I found peace of mind was Villanova Park.

Tom

Thanks Tom, good to know and very relieved I posted before just taking a punt and booking somewhere! I’ll have a look at the campsite you mentioned, any recommendations/avoid tips for campsites further up the Costa Brava?

Thanks Tom, good to know and very relieved I posted before just taking a punt and booking somewhere! I’ll have a look at the campsite you mentioned, any recommendations/avoid tips for campsites further up the Costa Brava?
Can't help on other campsites as we go inland (Banyoles is a favourite for us) but we are free of children now so look for cycling areas. Catalonia suits us fine. Enjoy

Tom

Camping 3 Estrellas at Platja de Les Filipines (right beside the Airport) could be an alternative. (Bus service every 20 min, 15-20 min to BCN inner center). I've been at the parking to the right of the camping. Out of season, so nearly alone. I noticed then the reserved spot for campers, in first line towards the sea.

Camping 3 Estrellas.jpg

Thought I’d follow up on this, especially because of scare stories about theft around Barcelona. We stayed at Mataro and had no issues at all driving there or around. Another great holiday!

If you do drive into Barcelona and park, bikes inside if you’re not riding them, and remove the bracing arms from the carrier. They disappear quickly.

Just spoken to my daughter who lives there. Options are. Possibly favourite, on street parking on Mont Juic (nice area and very close to the centre), on street parking up near Port Olympic (about 15/20 mins from centre but nice walk by the beach), also an underground one at Port Olympic, a couple of underground car parks at the bottom of the Rambla one has 2.1 limit the other 2.2, Maremagnum car park under the big shopping centre also says 2.1 m limit.
Personally I would try Mont Juic as it could be free, car parking generally is very expensive.

Do NOT even attempt to drive into the old area. You will more than likely get stuck and it's usually very busy with tourists. A must visit place though.