Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

West Bay, Dorset - Campervan Parking

Big difference in population density and land available v vehicle density.
Yes I’m some areas, San Sebastián is very densely populated and very very camper friendly.
Also cycling infrastructure is so good.
It’s just a totally different mindset compared to here.

A current Ocean, Coast or Beach camper is classed exactly the same as a "proper" motorhome.

Those that wrote the rules had to draw the line somewhere.

If they let Oceans stay, why shouldn't some thing based on a a LWB T6 its only a little bit longer, if you allow them why not a GC600, thats only a few inches longer than a LWB T6 .

I would however be interested to see how many cars have been ticketed for being over length.
Ah - OK. Mine is an MPV apparently

Just been parking researching for our next trip away - just to be safe/sure - Devon seems to have a similar approach (no overnight, except in certain car parks, daytime parking OK, pay for the bay(s) you take up) a bit more relaxed whilst still controlling the 'overnight camping' issues.
From we’ve observed in the past 2 weeks, the VW Transporter is the single most popular vehicle in Cornwall and Devon! I wonder how far councils will push this before getting the backlash?
Maybe we should promote Transporter friendly councils and other land owners?

From we’ve observed in the past 2 weeks, the VW Transporter is the single most popular vehicle in Cornwall and Devon! I wonder how far councils will push this before getting the backlash?
Maybe we should promote Transporter friendly councils and other land owners?
Maybe local vans are well known and the rules only apply to grockles!

Ah - OK. Mine is an MPV apparently
Yep, my V5C says:

Body Type - MPV
Taxation Class - Diesel car
Vehicle Category - M1
No. of seats - 7

We would struggle to fit seven into four seats though!

So does the Beach just fall foul of the 4.8m rule along with estate cars and SUVs?

Yep, my V5C says:

Body Type - MPV
Vehicle Category - M1
No. of seats - 7

So does the Beach just fall foul of the 4.8m rule along with estate cars and SUVs?
The signs at West Bay listed the 4.8 metre restriction only for Vans. Cars were not included in any restrictions - although, I guess the basic "as long as it fits wholely within a bay" would still apply.

As far as a Beach Tour goes - should be OK, as it is an MPV and the 4.8m would not apply as it is not a 'van' - however, with the pop-top roof and awning, chances are it may get a ticket and incur the "challenge it" hassle ... As @apreading commented the council response on that question was not exactly definitive - "clear as mud" ..

Cars are permitted to stay overnight in some of the car parks - next time I will take my estate - back seats down leaves plenty of room to sleep (oops, I mean rest - keep one eye open so not actually 'sleeping' - sign says no sleeping) overnight in it ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The signs at West Bay listed the 4.8 metre restriction only for Vans. Cars were not included in any restrictions - although, I guess the basic "as long as it fits wholely within a bay" would still apply.

As far as a Beach Tour goes - should be OK, as it is an MPV and the 4.8m would not apply as it is not a 'van' - however, with the pop-top roof and awning, chances are it may get a ticket and incur the "challenge it" hassle ... As @apreading commented the council response on that question was not exactly definitive - "clear as mud" ..

Cars are permitted to stay overnight in some of the car parks - next time I will take my estate - back seats down leaves plenty of room to sleep (oops, I mean rest - keep one eye open so not actually 'sleeping' - sign says no sleeping) overnight in it ... :rolleyes:
It really is overt prejudice. :(

Just to clarify

980DEA5D-8B0E-4B7E-88A7-961543ACA4A8.png
Dorset Council has a detailed matrix for every car park.(Schedule 1 page 17)
Some car parks motor homes need to be under 4.8 metres to be allowed to park
Some car parks need to be between 4.8 and 6 metres
And in multi use designation the motor home needs to be over 6 metres to park in a designated motor home bay.

Good luck in working through the matrix to decide if you are legally parked.

Yep, my V5C says:

Body Type - MPV
Vehicle Category - M1
No. of seats - 7

Leave a copy of the above on the windscreen and hope that the parking attendant has his/her eyes open!

Good luck in working through the matrix to decide if you are legally parked.
And right there is the reason to appeal, there is a requirement for the signs to be clear and able to be understood by all user of a car park “Without ambiguity “.
how many vehicle drivers know the exact dimensions (bearing in mind a Cali is nearly 4.8m ) of their vehicle, let alone decide wether the council will determine if a Cali is a van under 4.8 or MH less than 6m ? there is far too much ambiguity and interpretation for the general public to Comprehend in every situation.

i.e. It could be claimed the council have overly complicated it to trap punters

Last edited:
A current Ocean, Coast or Beach camper is classed exactly the same as a "proper" motorhome.

Those that wrote the rules had to draw the line somewhere.

If they let Oceans stay, why shouldn't some thing based on a a LWB T6 its only a little bit longer, if you allow them why not a GC600, thats only a few inches longer than a LWB T6 .

I would however be interested to see how many cars have been ticketed for being over length.
May be time for a FOI request to the council - would it be reall petty of we all sent one?

May be time for a FOI request to the council - would it be reall petty of we all sent one?
I was wondering that, but I’m not sure if they would release the make and model of every vehicle. Would they have to do that?

Rather than being confrontational we should set an example that the great whites fail to do. Be discreet and low profile as we seem to be regarded as a problem. No matter what the councils and pen pushers will win if we create noise. It is easy for the authorities to introduce restrictions and until the 'Benidorm' newbies behave I think more restrictions and height barriers will appear.

Rather than being confrontational we should set an example that the great whites fail to do. Be discreet and low profile as we seem to be regarded as a problem. No matter what the councils and pen pushers will win if we create noise. It is easy for the authorities to introduce restrictions and until the 'Benidorm' newbies behave I think more restrictions and height barriers will appear.
As flights to the Med become more frequent / reliable, I strongly believe we will see forecourts filled with nearly new big whites. It‘ll be alright in the end, and as you say, keep low profile, and do the right thing.

Hi, quick update on this thread, back from West Bay area (Dorset) and just to reiterate that the 2 main Dorset CC car parks in West Bay, and Monmouth Beach car park on Lyme Regis beach front (Lyme Regis Town Council https://www.lymeregistowncouncil.gov.uk/car-parks), have strict 4.8m max length restrictions. My 2014 T5 Cali Ocean is 4.89m, and did park at Monmouth Beach (I thought it was only 4.8m long - checked once I was in a cafe and realised my mistake). After West Bay hassle we went onto Burton Bradstock (Hive Beach) Nat Trust site (we're members) and parked on lovely big grassy field with sea views for free. My impression - Dorset CC (& town council) car parks in this area are not very camper/MH friendly. Dorset CC website seems to give conflicting information about MH restrictions in West Bay though - wish I'd taken a photo of the signage.

Hi, quick update on this thread, back from West Bay area (Dorset) and just to reiterate that the 2 main Dorset CC car parks in West Bay, and Monmouth Beach car park on Lyme Regis beach front (Lyme Regis Town Council https://www.lymeregistowncouncil.gov.uk/car-parks), have strict 4.8m max length restrictions. My 2014 T5 Cali Ocean is 4.89m, and did park at Monmouth Beach (I thought it was only 4.8m long - checked once I was in a cafe and realised my mistake). After West Bay hassle we went onto Burton Bradstock (Hive Beach) Nat Trust site (we're members) and parked on lovely big grassy field with sea views for free. My impression - Dorset CC (& town council) car parks in this area are not very camper/MH friendly. Dorset CC website seems to give conflicting information about MH restrictions in West Bay though - wish I'd taken a photo of the signage.
So anybody with a large car can’t park there either?! I guess they have their reasons I.e. existing spaces are too small, but seems a bit mad that they don’t rectify.

IMG_1263.png

Have just come back from West Bay. I thought the parking was good in the main carpark.There was around 15 bays for Motorhomes & 8 allocated for coaches. As shown in photo.
IMG_0954.png

Just a quick word of warning (apologies if this is well known..), it seems the welcome for motorhomes in the West Bay car parks is now over. Virtually all of the car parks there are now excluding any vans over 4.8 metres length and all motorhomes - the definition of a motorhome being anything designed or adapted for sleeping and/or cooking in.

Yep, we found out the expensive way yesterday ... Last year we could park the then rental van, no worries. This year all new signs up, which, I admit, I just didn't read :headbang, assumption and habit are terrible things. There are now 15 designated motorhome bays in the main car park, and because of the above definition, campervans are included as a motorhome, so if you are lucky, ok, else no longer welcome.

I'm guessing abuse of the previous freedoms has led to this. Two weeks into Cali ownership and our first experience of being campervan lepers, rather spoilt a lovely day.

Attendant took some lovely photos of the van though, including of the insides through the side window. Time for tints, maybe?

Ah well, loving the van otherwise though. :cool:
We saw those signs all over the Dorset car parks. Setting it at 4.8m is a cruel way to catch out any transporter size van. We had to use a Motorhome bay for our Sven which just fits inside the 6m maximum. Saw quite a few vans in the normal bays.

Back