Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

West Bay, Dorset - Campervan Parking

OK - doing some reading, its about as clear as mud...

The relevant parking order seems to be this one: https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/do...orset+Car+Parks+Consolidation+Draft+Order.pdf

In this, it defines:

So they only class as a motorhome if it has ALL of the equipment - if you dont have cooking facilities then you are not a motorhome by their definition, so any Beach owners without the fold out cooker would be OK for example and if you had a van with a fixed bed, rather than one which converts from seats then you are not a motorhome (despite all 'proper' motorhomes having fixed beds).

The 1988 act defines "Motor Car" as:

I would suggest a case could be made that a California comes under the definition of motor car in this case.

I found a picture of the sign at a Lyme Regis car park which is presumably very similar:

View attachment 98702
View attachment 98703

I emailed parking@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk to ask:

and they replied:

I realise that I didnt ask them about campervans, because I wanted to test whether the 4.8 metre rule was an issue and it seems like it is not, at least not when you arent a campervan...

So it seems like 'class of vehicle' is they key but despite trying to come up with their own definition (which presumably they were trying to document yours met by all of their photos), they also state in their parking order that "Car" is as per the 1988 Road Traffic Act (which a California seems to meet).

I am not suggesting taking it to court but I think you would have a reasonable case.

I wonder if you had paid the motorhome fee but parked in a normal space whether they would have been OK with that? (Not suggesting anyone go back to try it out).
Useful summary thank you.

OK - doing some reading, its about as clear as mud...

The relevant parking order seems to be this one: https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/do...orset+Car+Parks+Consolidation+Draft+Order.pdf

In this, it defines:

So they only class as a motorhome if it has ALL of the equipment - if you dont have cooking facilities then you are not a motorhome by their definition, so any Cali Beach owners without the fold out cooker would be OK for example.

The 1988 act defines "Motor Car" as:

I would suggest a case could be made that a California comes under the definition of motor car in this case.

I found a picture of the sign at a Lyme Regis car park which is presumably very similar:

View attachment 98702
View attachment 98703

I emailed parking@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk to ask:

and they replied:

I realise that I didnt ask them about campervans, because I wanted to test whether the 4.8 metre rule was an issue and it seems like it is not, at least not when you arent a campervan...

So it seems like 'class of vehicle' is they key but despite trying to come up with their own definition (which presumably they were trying to document yours met by all of their photos), they also state in their parking order that "Car" is as per the 1988 Road Traffic Act (which a California seems to meet).

I am not suggesting taking it to court but I think you would have a reasonable case.

I wonder if you had paid the motorhome fee but parked in a normal space whether they would have been OK with that? (Not suggesting anyone go back to try it out).
I can see the logic in the overnight ban (but a fair charge to stay in the motorhome bays would allow the attendant to be paid to check for dumping etc).
Seems inane though to clobber a California with a 150% increased charge for stopping for an hour...

Strict rules are probably the result of people staying overnight in motorhomes and campervans in council run car parks…

I will probably look at other parts of our beautiful island to visit.

Unfortunately there does seem a growing trend for councils to restrict the parking of campervans, for instance all the cliff top roads from Sandbanks to Bournemouth are restricted to cars and motorcycle only, it is probably the same from Bournemouth to Southbourne but haven’t checked. As has been identified above its the definition motorcaravan that will get you that ticket. While this is Dorset, I saw the same restriction in Cornwall recently.

Strict rules are probably the result of people staying overnight in motorhomes and campervans in council run car parks…

Agree. Unfortunately alot of the car parks concerned are listed on park4night which doesn’t help! As are most National Trust car parks local to us which never allow overnight stays.

They should follow the French way which often has a sign stating no camper vans between 2300-0800hrs, and impose a heavy fine on those that abuse it.

At least one benefit of a Cali is that you can often just park it in the street like a car (as long as the street isn't the seafront).

Just a quick word of warning (apologies if this is well known..), it seems the welcome for motorhomes in the West Bay car parks is now over. Virtually all of the car parks there are now excluding any vans over 4.8 metres length and all motorhomes - the definition of a motorhome being anything designed or adapted for sleeping and/or cooking in.

Yep, we found out the expensive way yesterday ... Last year we could park the then rental van, no worries. This year all new signs up, which, I admit, I just didn't read :headbang, assumption and habit are terrible things. There are now 15 designated motorhome bays in the main car park, and because of the above definition, campervans are included as a motorhome, so if you are lucky, ok, else no longer welcome.

I'm guessing abuse of the previous freedoms has led to this. Two weeks into Cali ownership and our first experience of being campervan lepers, rather spoilt a lovely day.

Attendant took some lovely photos of the van though, including of the insides through the side window. Time for tints, maybe?

Ah well, loving the van otherwise though. :cool:
Hi. Very sorry to hear the problems you have had. Certainly not a welcoming approach being adopted by the new local authority!! Completely disgraceful that photographs of the interior of your van were taken and I would say that the parking enforcement officer has completely overstepped the mark - probably on the grounds of disproportionate surveillance (Regulatory Investigatory Powers Act RIPA) at the very least. Depends how you feel of course whether you want to raise a complaint with the Council via the CEO.

According to my road fund licence fee my 2008 automatic California is a diesel car, and charge me an exorbitant fee. Can't win either way! And yes we have tried to get that amended, so if you know different let me know.

Their car park, their rules. Just vote with your feet and visit places which are more welcoming. I really don’t understand these councils, they’re trying to drive people away. In our town (and many others) you can park for free, no problem. They want to encourage people to spend time and money in the town. Let’s face it, businesses are going to need all the help they can get.

"Adapted" ... is the word under the Council Bylaws that is the "catch-all".
Doesn't matter if the vehicle is registered as an MPV etc by DVLA, it has adaptions within it.

They wouldn't even have to be permanent to break the byelaw.

So a person siting in the back of transit van, in a car parking bay - in which he has placed a free standing table and sitting on a camp chair, whilst eating and drinking within the vehicle because it may be raining and he wants to keep dry, would have for the purposes of the use of that vehicle, at that time, in that parking bay, "adapted it" ( only temporarily ).

If, and when, the table was folded and tied up, and the chairs folded and stacked, he could argue that they were simply "goods" being carried, but more permanent fixtures such as in an Ocean couldn't be classed as goods because of being so fixed.

Thanks for the warning about said car park ... can't see me going that way anyway.

I got stung at Swanage last year. Add that one to your list of holiday destinations and councils who don’t like us (still bitter!)
Parked on the front then popped into town for a coffee before driving home. As I use our Cali as the main car too I didn’t even think there would be a restriction
On reflection there was a sign….. but it was small and faced the road not the footpath I walked along.
The photos they took of the inside showed all the bags and a set of step ladders so I’m surprised they worked out it was a kitchen in there. (Went to the Blues festival with a friend hence the bags - not sure why I had ladders but that’s digressing lol)
Worst thing was …… I moved the van down from the Youth Hostel I’d stayed at for the previous 2 nights to save my legs from the uphill climb!!
Rather expensive cup of coffee at £35
My appeal didn’t yield anything and I doubt if my ‘feedback’ saw any consideration at all

It’s a harsh world out there - they are all out to get you. Don’t forget your tin hats and be vigilant ‍♂️

Not sure why that sign got posted! It was supposed to be a masked hero emoji.!!

Their car park, their rules. Just vote with your feet and visit places which are more welcoming. I really don’t understand these councils, they’re trying to drive people away. In our town (and many others) you can park for free, no problem. They want to encourage people to spend time and money in the town. Let’s face it, businesses are going to need all the help they can get.
Having just returned from Northern Spain and France the attitude to campers and motor homes in the UK couldn’t be more stark.

Excellent facilities and parking, plenty of wast disposal points and all either free or at nominal cost.

UK is so unwelcoming.

Agree. Unfortunately alot of the car parks concerned are listed on park4night which doesn’t help! As are most National Trust car parks local to us which never allow overnight stays.

They should follow the French way which often has a sign stating no camper vans between 2300-0800hrs, and impose a heavy fine on those that abuse it.
The time restriction signs are all over the beach car parks in Cornwall, both council and NT.

We also find more height barriers appearing in beach car parks, and in other beauty spots, typically set at 6ft which are just too low for a T5/6. Noticed car parks in North Norfolk, Somerset and Cornwall have these. In Lynton there’s no barrier, but designated bays for motorhomes (about 10 spaces in a circa 500 space car park), naturally all taken, so we parked next to a T4 in a normal spot - no come back yet.

It is sad theres a growing pushback from tourist area communities about having motorhomes and campervans parked up. We are being damned by the thoughtless few, leaving mess behind. I personally haven’t seen much mess created, but these stories, fuelled by routes like NC500, tend to have a life of their own. Hard to attribute rubbish left to a van or a car! But the prejudices seem to be baked in and growing.

I also don’t buy the argument that van/ Motorhome people don’t spend in the local area they visit. The majority of people we see in these vehicles are families or in the 50 - 70 age group. Just the sort of people to buy a lunch, tourist bangles and provisions.

I hear in Ireland, there’s a slowly building realisation that communities can profit from making it easier for vans to park up, even overnight, just as you get in France. A few village based sites we’ve stayed in recently (for example Castleton and Dulverton) do very well out of the touring sites.

For now, all we can do IMO is to encourage good standards of behaviour through our own actions, and this type of conversations within clubs and other organisations.

The time restriction signs are all over the beach car parks in Cornwall, both council and NT.

Agree, same in West Sussex. But the trouble is that are just ignored and overnight stays are encouraged by the various Apps - often user comments such as ‘no overnight parking signs, ignored but we’re not challenged’. The spots concerned should be deleted from the App.

Having just returned from Northern Spain and France the attitude to campers and motor homes in the UK couldn’t be more stark.

Excellent facilities and parking, plenty of wast disposal points and all either free or at nominal cost.

UK is so unwelcoming.
Big difference in population density and land available v vehicle density.

v Negative attitude
Not really. To maximise car parking for visitors the authorities restrict parking by using a catch all definition to stop Motorhomes taking up 2 or more places. Down our way they have time restriction, No sleeping between 2200-0600 hrs in any vehicle, but also 2 other restrictions 1 parking bay / vehicle and maximum weight 3.5 tons. So campervans parking on the sea front, No Problem.

Not really. To maximise car parking for visitors the authorities restrict parking by using a catch all definition to stop Motorhomes taking up 2 or more places. Down our way they have time restriction, No sleeping between 2200-0600 hrs in any vehicle, but also 2 other restrictions 1 parking bay / vehicle and maximum weight 3.5 tons. So campervans parking on the sea front, No Problem.
Just been parking researching for our next trip away - just to be safe/sure - Devon seems to have a similar approach (no overnight, except in certain car parks, daytime parking OK, pay for the bay(s) you take up) a bit more relaxed whilst still controlling the 'overnight camping' issues.

It does seem a shame that each council (local, county ..) has a different set of rules, would be nice to have some consistency, we would all know where we stand then. But, I guess each area has different 'issues' based on parking availability, local welcome/objections, past problems (visitor hot-spots) etc.

be careful wishing for consistency of rules - if they choose the set that you dont like, you could end up worse off...!
Seriously though, its not easy - I just found out when researching this post that I parked incorrectly in Lyme Regis a few months back.

Passed a sign on the way in:

1662473370183.png

I assumed that just meant no proper motorhomes, classed on their V5 as such, which would be too big to park in a space.

No more information when I went to pay, using the app as directed:

1662473465165.png

But now I find out there is a 4.8 metre restriction also, which I knew nothing about. But its there on another sign that I didnt see:

1662473605120.png

I had no idea. Its not as obvious as the signs at West Bay, but apparently the same rules apply. But I parked within a marked bay so I dont see what the problem would be.

Last edited:
Our car before 2012 when we 1st got aT5 was a Subaru outback estate length 4,87 so we could not park in these Dorset car parks. I am sure many SUVs and estate cars are more than the councils permitted maximum length yet fit in a marked car space. @apreading I also do not see what the issue is but it is clear that campervans have been tarred with the same brush as motorhomes by Dorset Council and are not welcome. My other half has a blue badge and it will be interesting to see how the council reacts to our parking in a disabled bay next month when we visit West Bay. Many people have vans over the councils permanent length that have been adapted for wheelchairs etc.

I assumed that just meant no proper motorhomes, classed on their V5 as such, which would be too big to park in a space.

A current Ocean, Coast or Beach camper is classed exactly the same as a "proper" motorhome.

Those that wrote the rules had to draw the line somewhere.

If they let Oceans stay, why shouldn't some thing based on a a LWB T6 its only a little bit longer, if you allow them why not a GC600, thats only a few inches longer than a LWB T6 .

I would however be interested to see how many cars have been ticketed for being over length.

Back