Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parkway Leicester Avoid Like The Plague

Hello, welcome, and thank you for your first ever post.

You don’t by any chance work for Parkway Leicester do you?
No, not at all. It was an honest and genuine response. I think credit should be given where it is due.

So do you expect them to fit them for free?

The genuine VW side bars are expensive and involve work to fit them. I'm certain you'd pay the same whichever VW Commercial dealership you went to. Some dealerships give discount to forum members on accessories, (10% in our case) but you have to ask. Non VW side bars often provide poor access to the jacking points so beware.
Chrome bars purchased perfect , no issue with jacking point , no issue with paying for fitting , just don’t like being treated like a cash cow and ripped off

I spoke too soon. I live in the north yet when I was looking for a new California I found Parkway Leicester to be really good. They looked after me. UNTILL nearly three years old. Took her in for service but had been advised by tyre fitter that the passenger side rear brake disk was shot as was the pad. The other three were perfect. That does say to me there was something wrong with that one. Just one???

I had the fitter have a look and went through the logic. He said he would have to talk to his manager.

The service girl then says to me its out of warranty. That I should have reported it earlier. They service the vehicle. They check it. But offers 10%. on new discs and pads, I decline.

They do the service and I ask for the "out of warranty" to be marked on the invoice so I can take it up with VW.
The invoice comes back 48,000 miles wear and tear. I say thats not what you said. She says after a disagreement that she can change the text. (Basically saying it doesnt matter whats on there we and VW dont care) She said her manager would sign it and I could talk to him. I declined as he was obviously aware and was probably the reason to change from wear and tear.

I asked her Why should one disc fail so badly if it is not a manufacturing defect? and How can a customer be expected to identify this prior to six months? And should they be told to have the vehicle thoroughly inspected prior to six months.

She then said well its done 48,000 miles. That sums them up. They dont care and just want more money. Are VW's lucky then to get past 3 years/48,000 miles??

Does 48,000 miles mean that we as VW customers should just accept anything giving up??

Why would you change the text on the invoice so easily if basically you had any integrity and you believed in what you had written? It smacks of it doesn’t matter what I write, we don’t care.

The Aftersales Manager contacted me by e mail at the point of lockdown saying he would get involved when he returned to work. He did and without talking to me e mailed me and:-
"As the vehicle has done 53,000 miles,(It hadn't???) unfortunately the corrosion on the brake discs (Only one disc with massive difference to other 3) isn't covered by manufactures warranty. Volkswagen's warranty classes corrosion on brake discs as wear and tear. Parkway doesn't set these guidelines, this comes from Volkswagen directly and we have to follow these instructions.

I am sorry you disagree with this outcome but it is out of Parkway's control.

From talking to Holly the advisor this was your complaint, or is there any further detail you would like me to investigate and address. If there is please reply with the details and I will in contact again. "

Am I being unreasonable. The van has done 48,000 miles, is mint, has just had its first set of new tyres. I look after my baby. There is an obvious fault on one corner of the van but also to be called a liar, to state that I can have what I want writen on the invoice and not to be contacted prior to "Looking Into the complaint"??? To basically write off my vehicle at 48,000 miles..

I took a refund on my service plan and will never ever go to Parkway Leicester ever again. Thank you Thomas Holyoak Parkway Leicester.

Am I wrong?
Really 48,000 is a fair mileage and really you are lucky that the pads lasted that long. As consumable parts you would be lucky to get them to be replaced even if they were in warranty just like any consumable part is excluded from the warranty..In the past ive had discs and Pads wear out at different rates thats quite normal, but excessively worn no thats not normal.. Could be the caliper pistons sticking and not releasing the pads or a number of other things that cause uneven excessive wear..Did they measure the pads and disc? Or take any pictures for you to see, Thats what they normally do..Corrosion on Cast Iron discs is normal but certainly NOT on the braking surfaces on the edges yes but that shouldn't affect the braking. Your local garage would do the replacement of discs and pads just as good and for half the VW price..

What is interesting is my wife has a Polo not quite 3 years old. She bought it second hand from a VW garage near me. It is in now and they are replacing discs and pads free of charge (1/2 the car) and something to do with the clutch .. On the clutch she is having to pay £40 for some part which was worth replacing but not needed??? OK interesting as they told her they have to justify with photographs to VW where it is warranty work..

Fair play to a garage that is fair and supports the consumer... I should have gone there.........

What is interesting is my wife has a Polo not quite 3 years old. She bought it second hand from a VW garage near me. It is in now and they are replacing discs and pads free of charge (1/2 the car) and something to do with the clutch .. On the clutch she is having to pay £40 for some part which was worth replacing but not needed??? OK interesting as they told her they have to justify with photographs to VW where it is warranty work..

Fair play to a garage that is fair and supports the consumer... I should have gone there.........
You entitled your thread "Parkway Leicester avoid like the plague".

I would be the first to complain about something if I felt I had good cause. I would even name and shame the dealer if their service fell well short of what should reasonably be expected but only after I had given them the opportunity to reply and rectify the issue. However, from what I have read, you have asked members to "avoid" this dealer "like the plague" for no other reason than a disagreement that you had with a clearly inexperienced service girl. It would appear that your unrealistic expectations and her inappropriate response forms the nub of your greivance. Her saying "its out of warranty." and "That I should have reported it earlier." were beside the point. The brakes are not covered under the warranty or service contract so her "remarks as reported" were inappropriate.

My point is that this forum has a fairly large membership and I believe it can also be read by non forum members. From what you have said, apart from a possible customer relations shortfall in the service girl's training I don't think this dealership has done anything differently to what any other garage would do, so has been wronged. For the sake of fairness to this dealership I believe you should at least acknowledge this.

Last edited:
You entitled your thread "Parkway Leicester avoid like the plague".

I would be the first to complain about something if I felt I had good cause. I would even name and shame the dealer if their service fell well short of what should reasonably be expected but only after I had given them the opportunity to reply and rectify the issue. However, from what I have read, you have asked members to "avoid" this dealer "like the plague" for no other reason than a disagreement that you had with a clearly inexperienced service girl. It would appear that your unrealistic expectations and her inappropriate response forms the nub of your greivance. Her saying "its out of warranty." and "That I should have reported it earlier." were beside the point. The brakes are not covered under the warranty or service contract so her "remarks as reported" were inappropriate.

My point is that this forum has a fairly large membership and I believe it can also be read by non forum members. From what you have said, apart from a possible customer relations shortfall in the service girl's training I don't think this dealership has done anything differently to what any other garage would do, so has been wronged. For the sake of fairness to this dealership I believe you should at least acknowledge this.
Morning Boris, Absolutely not. She had talked to the service manager before she spoke to me. Then the service manager e mailed me and said he would sort it after lockdown. He did. He e mailed me and said he had investigated and found nothing. He never spoke to me. Its clear to me they are not interested in customers and do not know how to talk to them. The initial chat, the "investigation" all could have been so different wit a sorry perhaps you were given the wrong impression or talked to inappropriately however......

Even when I wrapped up my service plan they just wanted shot. Not a sorry to see you go etc.. Nothing...

Morning Boris, Absolutely not. She had talked to the service manager before she spoke to me. Then the service manager e mailed me and said he would sort it after lockdown. He did. He e mailed me and said he had investigated and found nothing. He never spoke to me. Its clear to me they are not interested in customers and do not know how to talk to them. The initial chat, the "investigation" all could have been so different wit a sorry perhaps you were given the wrong impression or talked to inappropriately however......

Even when I wrapped up my service plan they just wanted shot. Not a sorry to see you go etc.. Nothing...

Clearly there's been a break down in the dealer/customer relationship.

But how would you have liked them to resolve your grievance? and
have you taken the matter up with the Dealer Principal or MD as suggested in post#19?
Finally, why did you cancel your service contact?

I'm not trying to be provocative but merely trying to grasp what Parkway have actually done wrong to deserve being "avoided like the plague". It doesn't matter what extra comments are written on your invoice as VW Customer Services can clearly see the nature of the work carried out and as has been previously stated brakes aren't covered by the initial manufacturers warranty or the service contract.

i could tell you a tale or two about parkway kettering but i dont have a spare 3 hours to type it all out.

i could tell you a tale or two about parkway kettering but i dont have a spare 3 hours to type it all out.

They do seem to score a miserably low rating on Trustpilot, even most estate agents score better.

If any dealer has fallen below the standards expected by any reasonable customer and therefore deserves criticism then give them both barrels I say. :thumb

If any dealer has fallen below the standards expected by any reasonable customer and therefore deserves criticism then give them both barrels I say. :thumb
But Borris, thats what I did..... REMEMBER... when I first bought my Cali, I was full of praise for them. Perhaps someone should have pulled me up then and said wait....

Clearly there's been a break down in the dealer/customer relationship.

But how would you have liked them to resolve your grievance? and
have you taken the matter up with the Dealer Principal or MD as suggested in post#19?
Finally, why did you cancel your service contact?

I'm not trying to be provocative but merely trying to grasp what Parkway have actually done wrong to deserve being "avoided like the plague". It doesn't matter what extra comments are written on your invoice as VW Customer Services can clearly see the nature of the work carried out and as has been previously stated brakes aren't covered by the initial manufacturers warranty or the service contract.
Borris, the way I was treated. The way I was spoken to. The disdain shown toward me. A simple sorry at some stage would have helped. Lied to. Sorry but after that I decided I could not trust this company and then the way te service manager "investigated" was the final straw. If they treat you like that how can you trust them. Hence end service contract. no trust. Why would I travel so far for poor service.

Since that episode, I have looked on line at Parkway, perhaps I should have done that before..... Very bad reviews.

Trust is a cornerstone of customer service....

Believe it or not I do not want to speak to Dealer Principal or MD. I have had enough of the whole episode. It was simply a personal feeling and warning to the forum.....

End of rant..

from the news, I will be avoiding all of Leicester like the plaque.

still sad to here some people do not have a good local dealership experience.

Hi, it’s sad to read about your experiences. I bought my Cali from the Leicester Parkway dealership in June after I was supposed to pickup on the day of lockdown. They kept it safe and maintained the price and service pack offer from March.
I’ve had nothing but a great experience from the team at Parkway. I noticed the 2 leisure batteries were not charging properly within the first month. They replaced them FOC without any debate and before a week away in Cornwall.
They are servicing the Cali this week and hope to have the same kind of positive experience. Fingers crossed!