Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Part number for overbed locker

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
Don't suppose anyone knows the part number for the SE overhead aircraft style locker? Keep seeing things in my parents SE that we like and thinking about adding them to our beach. Started with the fold down table but now thinking a locker for easy access to small items would also be great!

Isn't it too short width wise because the offside is against the SE wardrobe?

Isn't it too short width wise because the offside is against the SE wardrobe?

Guess the partnumber of that wardrobe is also in that link.....:D

I've a feeling it may cost the same as a small terrace house!
Reimo and many smaller converters make similar items, with better quality catches that will fit the full width for a fraction of the price I suspect vw will want for theirs.
That locker isn't a vw t5 invention :they've been used for years.

Slightly off topic but does everyone find the opening latch to this overhead cupboard really vague?

I'm never sure if i'm supposed to yank it, or gently open it, seems to work different every time.

Hi,

I have one of these for sale, before we had our California SE we had a T5 conversion with California bits and pieces. I never got around to fitting it so its sat up in my loft with all hinges etc.

Andrew.

If a new one proves to be too expensive, please let me know and I will take some photos for you.

I did some research on my storage bin recently, when my Cali came back from its roof job, and the bin began to lower itself every time a rough stretch of road was encountered.....this got to be a major pain, and did nothing for the rear view through the tailgate. It was also too easy to park and leave without realising that the contents of the bin were on display

The latch seemed to be grinding against the metal stop, and the filings were building up around the catch, causing a bit of a mess.

As far as I can see the catch is not available as a part, just the whole moving section of the bin in a piece.

There is some adjustment possible from above to the small metal catch, and I have moved this to reduce/minimise the small forward/backward play which the bin had when locked. I haven't road-tested it yet.

I think that this bin is one of the poorest features of the Cali, if the catch won't do its job, the addition of some form of back-up lock, etc is not easy, especially if you want it to look like "showroom" condition afterwards.

On the question of opening/closing, I have found that a hefty "straight arm tackle" is needed to close it, while opening is not as difficult, maybe a slight lift of the bin when pulling the catch.

I think VW assumed a wrestler-owner when designing the Cali, and especially furniture which must be moved regularly like sliding the bed, rotating the seats, especially the drivers side, raising and lowering the upper bed, and opening the storage bin. There must be a significant proportion of owners who have problems with these, or avoid using some features due to the effort needed?

Slightly off topic but does everyone find the opening latch to this overhead cupboard really vague?

I'm never sure if i'm supposed to yank it, or gently open it, seems to work different every time.

For easy opening ,
Four ( or three)fingers in the hole making a pull towarts yourself
Tumb puching the button upwarts

Seems the woman have most difficulty opening that ....best place to hide things from the wife....

If a new one proves to be too expensive, please let me know and I will take some photos for you.
ooh, do you know how much you would like for it? Haven't contacted vw as waiting on a quote for one from a vw conversion company but still like the cali one so would be interested to hear more if yours has all the fixings like you say!

For easy opening ,
Four ( or three)fingers in the hole making a pull towarts yourself
Tumb puching the button upwarts

Seems the woman have most difficulty opening that ....best place to hide things from the wife....
my parents one is so stiff they don't actually have to use the catch as it seems to stay closed on it's own as long as it isn't too full!! Hmmm, I may regret this option but still pursuing the idea for now!

Here it is, with hinges and speakers. A little dusty from being in the loft but will give it a clean off and post some more pictures asap. Cost will obviously depend on whether or not you can collect, or if you need it sent. I will give it some thought and get a shipping cost if you send me your postcode.

Andrew.image.jpg

You could of course take the speakers out to create more space.

I find the best way is to push the handle in as you open it , once the handle is all the way out the unit just pulls open, works first time everytime, it is a strange catch that is for sure

Here it is, with hinges and speakers. A little dusty from being in the loft but will give it a clean off and post some more pictures asap. Cost will obviously depend on whether or not you can collect, or if you need it sent. I will give it some thought and get a shipping cost if you send me your postcode.

Andrew.View attachment 9938

Where abouts are you? We're in Suffolk

Sorry just seen your profile says Bristol so would need to factor courier cost into price please. Some more pics would be good if you are able thanks. If speakers are removed, presumably it doesn't leave 2 holes in the cabinet
?!!

Sorry just seen your profile says Bristol so would need to factor courier cost into price please. Some more pics would be good if you are able thanks. If speakers are removed, presumably it doesn't leave 2 holes in the cabinet
?!!

The overhead locker is from a pre facelift California with the lighter wood effect. There are a few scratches on the surface but I guess you would want it wrapped in a different colour vinyl to match your Cali Beach interior better.

The inside is a bit worn as well but could easily be tidied up.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks, just waiting on a quote from a local conversion company as can't decide whether to go for SE locker or a custom made cupboard to give us full width storage. Could you let me know what you would like for it not including postage if that's easier as it may help us make up our minds dependent on cost.

Last edited:
Thanks, just waiting on a quote from a local conversion company as can't decide whether to go for SE locker or a custom made cupboard to give us full width storage. Could you let me know what you would like for it not including postage if that's easier as it may help us make up our minds dependent on cost.

Hi,

I have sent you a message regarding the overhead locker.

Andrew.

I did some research on my storage bin recently, when my Cali came back from its roof job, and the bin began to lower itself every time a rough stretch of road was encountered.....this got to be a major pain, and did nothing for the rear view through the tailgate. It was also too easy to park and leave without realising that the contents of the bin were on display

The latch seemed to be grinding against the metal stop, and the filings were building up around the catch, causing a bit of a mess.

As far as I can see the catch is not available as a part, just the whole moving section of the bin in a piece.

There is some adjustment possible from above to the small metal catch, and I have moved this to reduce/minimise the small forward/backward play which the bin had when locked. I haven't road-tested it yet.

I think that this bin is one of the poorest features of the Cali, if the catch won't do its job, the addition of some form of back-up lock, etc is not easy, especially if you want it to look like "showroom" condition afterwards.

On the question of opening/closing, I have found that a hefty "straight arm tackle" is needed to close it, while opening is not as difficult, maybe a slight lift of the bin when pulling the catch.

I think VW assumed a wrestler-owner when designing the Cali, and especially furniture which must be moved regularly like sliding the bed, rotating the seats, especially the drivers side, raising and lowering the upper bed, and opening the storage bin. There must be a significant proportion of owners who have problems with these, or avoid using some features due to the effort needed?

Hi, Just wondering if you managed to resolve the self-opening locker? Mine has developed the same issue as it appears the catch has worn/sheared off. Not impressed with the design of the catch. Thanks

image.png Hi,

The cure was not perfect, I still occasionally (not every trip) find that my rear view is gone, as the catch lets go once a certain size of road bump has been hit. It seems to be able to handle potholes and "normal" road imperfections. I was able to adjust out some of the forward/backward movement which was there.....the easiest way to find this is to stand under the open tailgate and see if there is much movement when you push it backwards and forwards with both hands. If there is movement, it may be possible to reduce it by moving the catch, reached from the upper bed, rearward. From memory, I think it is held by two 10mm(?) nuts, and for access a thin socket worked for me.

If the catch has sheared off, and a replacement from VW is not available/not reasonably priced, I would look into some sort of DIY replacement, using maybe a small cleat from a marine shop, or more "seaworthy", a "draw latch" like the one above, similar to those sometimes used on tool boxes, etc.

I think the hook shown would need to be modified to meet up with the latch. The hook might be bolted to the ceiling, probably forward of the existing catch, where there is a lip, and the latch would be bolted to the storage bin. The hook probably needs to face forward, and be slightly below the ceiling level, so that the loop of the latch can be put in place easily, and the latch closed.

A bit of trial and error is likely, as the bin curves rearward after the first inch or two, and a longer latch would be difficult to mount here.

Ideally the tightening effect of this type of latch could be arranged to take any loose play/noise out of the bin when closed. There might be advantages to using two latches, at either end of the bin, which would leave the original handle clear.

I hope this is of some use......

Thanks for the reply. I think my first port of call is the adjustment. I didn't even realise that it could be . Now I know it is adjustable I presume it can be simply removed so I might speak to a friend who may be able to make an alternative catch. I'll see how I get on.

Thanks again.

Back