Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A little review on our T6

Andy,

There must be a few of us now contemplating T5 to T6,

Any other views? Driving? mechanics? Suspension?

Andy,

There must be a few of us now contemplating T5 to T6,

Any other views? Driving? mechanics? Suspension

Jen, I would say the T6 is so much the same as my T5 that if you drove it blind folded you would would think you are driving Albert (.:Nailbiting) I happy with power out put of 150 compared with my old 180.
real + points was the being able to buy a extra 2 years warranty being a daily and a high mileage user. I was 100% happy with my T5 and ditto with T6

Jen, I would say the T6 is so much the same as my T5 that if you drove it blind folded you would would think you are driving Albert (.:Nailbiting) I happy with power out put of 150 compared with my old 180.
real + points was the being able to buy a extra 2 years warranty being a daily and a high mileage user. I was 100% happy with my T5

Thank you Andy. That I wanted to hear. 4 years of Albert without barely a blip and to add 5 years warranty, keep going on as I do, enjoying every minute of the way the vehicle drives, is great. It's a no-brainer. Just swap great for great.

Some of the extras added now would be nice - split work top and cupboard lights but little upgrades are always going to be added

MPG
I have decided to run a camper van as a daily drive MPG is what you get I do not loose much sleep trying to work out how much MPG I am getting.

I have noticed that if running on local runs the low fuel working "pings" at 40 miles range but on a long run "pings" at 70 miles which it did yesterday coming home (70 miles from home but I filled up rather than push all the way home but not on the M1 at £1.33).

I do get more from a Gallon in the T6 (150) than I did in T5 (180)
T6 computer av high 30's
T5 computer av low 30's

Don't know if you have seen this review. He did a review of the marco polo (both on the sister forum MP owners)

Don't know if you have seen this review. He did a review of the marco polo (both on the sister forum MP owners)

See how many times you shout at the screen telling him he's got it wrong. Puts the MP review into context for me. Reviews done by people that are not campervaners or have long term experience of the vehicle or read the F$%^ing manual should be treated with some caution. Nothing beats living with a vehicle yourself for a short while.

That said I really like this guy's style and it is a good video just a few questionable statements like spinning the drivers seat.

My review update - Van coming up for a year old and 15000 miles. (that year went quick)

Yes from the outside there is very little difference between our T5 and T6 the rear tailgate and the side indicators are the giveaway differences. Since our van build the extra changes of split worktop glass is a nice upgrade.
I am happy with the power output of our 150 Ocean and have no issues regarding motorway,town driving or hill pulling and ovetaking over our T5 180 SE. I personally feel the 150 less complex engine meets my needs fully.
MPG (only from onboard readings) 30-38 our 180 dropped like a stone around town in traffic.

Faults in the 1st year.
  • Air con compressor replaced - think it was faulty from day 1.
  • Rear wardrobe door came apart of second camping trip.
  • Tap stopped working, mico switch failed in tap.
Our Wardrobe and tap lasted 63k and 5 years without fault and same type of use.
The 80k full 5 year warranty is a no brainer.

Our oil change alert directed us to oil change at just under 15k and 11 months where as our 180 was 20k and 18 months so the T6 services although paid up front will cost me more over my years of servicing, My dealers saying they are getting a lot of T6's in at c15k for 1st service. Adblue have but 40 litres in too date.(only by 10 litre bottles so far)

All work and service carried out by Breeze Van Centre Totton. Although I hate it when the van has to go in (needs must) I fully trust them with our California.

We have been away during the year to England Scotland and Wales. Camping I find the roof bellows better on the T6 does dry off quicker. (we do not use topper). As I have said before the roof and tailgate lights are a little but great improvement.

I have standard head lights and do not miss not having LED lights I do have VW sat nav but if I could swap the system to LED lights I would. (Cost about the same)
I find the Sat Nav is fine for motoring up the M6 from South but rather use my Garmin or SatMap for our costal tours.

Our van has 215/60/17 tyres and when due to replace with change to 235/55/17 all weather.

Blackberry v Candy White on reflection I preferred the white.

Although I use seat covers (jackyards) I do wish VW would give a choice of darker colour seat covers and carpets.

Last edited:
That's the way we like it!!

Thought it was time to update my review as our T6 now over 30 months old. We have now covered 37000 miles. - our daily drive. The big question am I happy with our van? The simple answer is yes - I would replace it only with another Cali. We have not been without faults and had a number of Warranty claims since I last updated my review:- We had an engine warning light come on a year ago - PIBD600 - combustion chamber pressure sensor -sporadic fault (cylinder 3) sensor replaced. While in at Breeze Totton also I reported a squeak belt noise from cold and they replaced the tensioners and cam belt at the same time as they were doing the sensor. Last week had a new Bellows due to corner becoming detached and a new drivers side blind due to sticking.

Updates. Tape on the roof under seal & minor paintwork plus -some software updates including Adue Blue one.

Next service due around Christmas as is the 1st MOT.

I would like to add Solar Panel once I have saved up.

For the future will remain with this van for the foreseeable future The California works for our retired lifestyle do not feel we have the funds at this time to run to a new "MPV" and the current road taxes on a new van I am pleased we have another 2 years warranty. I enjoy looking the Marco Polo forum a read with interest some of the issues at Mercedes have.

I enjoy looking the Marco Polo forum a read with interest some of the issues at Mercedes have.
Save me looking, what are the issues with them?

Save me looking, what are the issues with them?
Some mirror what we see on the Cali form & some our user error - many the same type of issues. Both issues with some sales staff and workshop providers. Below some forum titles - shows that both the Cali and the MP being a complicated camper have their issues. Most users are happy owner.

LEISURE BATTERY NOT CHARGING WHILE DRIVING.
ELECTRIC ROOF NOT REGISTERING AS CLOSED ON CONTROL PANEL
ROOF BED RECALL
TINY BLISTERS ON ROOF
WASTEWATER DRAINING FAILURE
GAS STOVE ISSUES
M-BENZ RECALL RE SOFTWARE - EMISSIONS
LEISURE BATTERY NOT CHARGING WHILE DRIVING
BED WILL NOT RECLINE

Some mirror what we see on the Cali form & some our user error - many the same type of issues. Both issues with some sales staff and workshop providers. Below some forum titles - shows that both the Cali and the MP being a complicated camper have their issues. Most users are happy owner.

LEISURE BATTERY NOT CHARGING WHILE DRIVING.
ELECTRIC ROOF NOT REGISTERING AS CLOSED ON CONTROL PANEL
ROOF BED RECALL
TINY BLISTERS ON ROOF
WASTEWATER DRAINING FAILURE
GAS STOVE ISSUES
M-BENZ RECALL RE SOFTWARE - EMISSIONS
LEISURE BATTERY NOT CHARGING WHILE DRIVING
BED WILL NOT RECLINE
Sounds par for the course. As you say, they are complicated vehicles.

Well our T6 is coming up to 3 years old. Passed 1st MOT this morning. Also a Brake fluid change. Again happy with the 1st class while you wait service from Breeze Totton.

I still can not see a time when we do not want a campervan (or an MPV with cooker and bed) part of our family.

Update, -
still can not see a time when we do not want a campervan (or an MPV with cooker and bed) part of our family.

Pushing another year soon although with Lockdown cancelled trip of some 18 days I Scotland and a week in South Wales has reduced our miles in 2020. The only failure this rear has been a cooker hinge, which was fixed while serviced at Breeze Totton a couple of weeks ago. 2nd MOT due in December. Now just over 50k one the clock and we remain happy with our T6. Not ready to upgrade for a 6.1 seen too many control panel issues cropping up at this time. When it is time of a new van given my comment last December the new beach with a cooker may be the way we go.

Last edited:
Back