Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Performance & Economy: Beach and SE/Ocean

As Welsh Gas says it varies wildly depending on load, wind, terrain, speed.
Our 4Motion averages out at 32ish which includes motorways at speed limits, mountains, flat, various weather. Our van is permanently loaded ready to go apart from some foods etc which would go off if left.
However the best I've ever had is 42 earlier this year when the French fuel crisis was on. 550 mile trip up from the Pyrenees, all on motorways, sat at 60ish (so boring), dumped water etc and generally fairly flat once out of the mountains (but that was downhill for fifteen miles, av consumption read 68 :)) and warm not windy weather. Personally I think it's speed and terrian which make the big differences. Loading is only a smallish percentage of the vans already heavy weight.

I can't be bothered to look at the trip computer as it's usually nonsense.

What I can tell you is on average I hit 500miles to a tank.
Had as high as 565miles over the water, cruising at 80-85. On occasions as low as 460miles over here in Great Britain travelling on the great British road network.

But on average, usually 500miles to a tank

I agree it's not entirely accurate but it does give a general indication. Also it can flag up problems if it suddenly changes from the norm. I'm not paranoid about mpg as it is what it is if you use the van. No point getting hung up about it.

Ours did 38mpg from Crystal Palace to Portsmouth today. An hour in stop start traffic and the 65mph down the A3 - not too shabby!

I think you misunderstood me (but appreciate the lecture anyway), my comment was my personal view on a thread about mpg, I wouldn't dream of suggesting what others should think or commenting on what matters to them, particularly not on this forum where some are a touch sensitive...anyway, time to get out in the rain and enjoy the Cali I think....
I have to agree. not about the mpg. but about how sensitive some of the people are on here. crikey I've experienced the 'oy that was my opinion not asking for yours' attitude. I think cali campers need to a t accordingly and chill out abut more

have to agree about the over sensitive people on here.

Back