Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pet passport after BREXIT

We have been quoted £150 for a blood test. We will only need it when UK becomes the unlisted country and looking at the countries that are currently unlisted I doubt it will be the case. I am just waiting to see the development before I spend £150 on something I may not really need. May regret it though...

Ive been quoted 120 euro in Spain. My issue is not the cost its the near 4 month wait if it comes in. So I dont want to spend if I dont need to but dont want to have to wait till April - May before I return?? Its a pain in the...

I have not been following this much recently , does it look like we are going to be unlisted then ?

I have not been following this much recently , does it look like we are going to be unlisted then ?

I don't think anyone can say. It's all completely up in the air until we know if it's deal or no deal.

I think we automatically become unlisted if there is no agreement.
What basis is this on? I think there is a lot of runours going around that are not necessarily based on facts.
If we have a deal - no change to current situation.
If we don’t have a deal - why would there be a change to current situation? The rules are primarily for Rabies. And there is little / no Rabies in UK. I see an awful lot of vets have been advertising vaccinations and blood tests ever since the vote... my own included. I have asked them to maintain my pet passports as per the CURRENT rules, until we know more. And then they meekly said, yes, that is correct...

What basis is this on? I think there is a lot of runours going around that are not necessarily based on facts.
If we have a deal - no change to current situation.
If we don’t have a deal - why would there be a change to current situation? The rules are primarily for Rabies. And there is little / no Rabies in UK. I see an awful lot of vets have been advertising vaccinations and blood tests ever since the vote... my own included. I have asked them to maintain my pet passports as per the CURRENT rules, until we know more. And then they meekly said, yes, that is correct...

That may well end up being what happens, but not logically so and can't be relied on:

If we have a deal - well it all depends what's in that deal, we certainly don't just revert to being EU members with all the current arrangements in place by default.

If we don't have a deal - then who says EU will accept no change on animal travel? On 1 January UK will become a 'third country' and it might take months or even longer to work out the arrangements.

I'm making no assumptions about whether it will be feasible to take our pooch onto continent next year.

That may well end up being what happens, but not logically so and can't be relied on:

If we have a deal - well it all depends what's in that deal, we certainly don't just revert to being EU members with all the current arrangements in place by default.

If we don't have a deal - then who says EU will accept no change on animal travel? On 1 January UK will become a 'third country' and it might take months or even longer to work out the arrangements.

I'm making no assumptions about whether it will be feasible to take our pooch onto continent next year.
Likewise, I’m making no assumptions my pet passports are not invalid. If they are we have a few months without travel. But I do feel a lot of vets have been making money out of this for the last couple of years (as I can see from many of my agility friends who compete internationally).

So according to DEFRA, APHA are saying my PP is no longer valid because the PAFF says I need an OV to issue me an AHC, from a UCN in EU.
Whereas I think all I need to do is keep the rabies jabs up to date (which is done anyway in the pet passport), and have a health check 10 days before travelling (AHC). Which I did every time I left Norway with my Tollers. Was easy as anything. Little has changed as far as I can see.
Mountain out of a mole hill...?

Whereas I think all I need to do is keep the rabies jabs up to date (which is done anyway in the pet passport), and have a health check 10 days before travelling (AHC). Which I did every time I left Norway with my Tollers. Was easy as anything. Little has changed as far as I can see.
Mountain out of a mole hill...?

it looks that way, quite good news as I was expecting us to be unlisted, there has been nothing in the press about this yet, the only way we found out was via a vet.

Looks like good news. Go to your vet, get a AHC within 10 days of travel this will then be valid for 4 months of travel including return to UK, seems pretty straightforward.

Wonder if this will remove the need for tapeworm treatment before return to UK as it is now with Pet Passport? If so even better.

it looks that way, quite good news as I was expecting us to be unlisted, there has been nothing in the press about this yet, the only way we found out was via a vet.
And be careful with that. If you scroll up you can see I’ve been saying for 2 years that vets have been worrying folk into paying extra for things.
Yes, I could now need a blood test and 3 months wait. But I can’t travel anyway with covid.
And the UK has less rabies than Europe. So common sense should prevail.
Vets (in my view) have been stirring up worry. Each time I have challenged mine they have backed down and said, yes you are correct, if you keep your Rabies vaccs up to date nothing has changed yet. Others will have been paying out needlessly.

Looks like good news. Go to your vet, get a AHC within 10 days of travel this will then be valid for 4 months of travel including return to UK, seems pretty straightforward.

Wonder if this will remove the need for tapeworm treatment before return to UK as it is now with Pet Passport? If so even better.

it still looks unclear on the rabies side of things coming back to the UK, it sounds like we may need a new GB pet passport, also from what I am reading only certain vets can issue the AHC ... wonder how much that will be !

it still looks unclear on the rabies side of things coming back to the UK, it sounds like we may need a new GB pet passport, also from what I am reading only certain vets can issue the AHC ... wonder how much that will be !
I plan to keep my pet passports up to date. It has all the information required, except for the health check (AHC).
And yes I expect we will still need the worm tablets as well.
But again, not much more than we do now. The vet administering the worm tablet (required within 72 hours currently) can also give the AHC for return.
So the only extra step is seeing a vet for the AHC on the way out of UK. And the initial blood test to prove rabies works (only required once, thereafter annual vaccs).

Part 2 listing for pet travel has just been confirmed, but there’s still hope for the same (just petpassport).

Part 2 listing for pet travel has just been confirmed, but there’s still hope for the same (just petpassport).

see above, this is good news as far as I can see it as our dogs go everywhere with us

see above, this is good news as far as I can see it as our dogs go everywhere with us
Yep very good, as zeb needs to add to 15 countries.
There’s a chance it will all stay the same and not have to do the vet check or only 4mth max travel in one period. That will be even better :thumb

Same here but we stopped going abroad once we got the Cali so havent bothered with the passports.

The UK government is continuing to press the European Commission to secure Part 1 listed status. The UK has one of the most rigorous pet checking regimes in Europe and currently meets all the requirements for Part 1 listed status under the EU Pet Travel Scheme.

Just read the Defra pages and the NI situation was indeed a surprise. The snake oil salesman at Downing Street assured us that there would be frictionless borders and that NI would remain part of the UK. As well as needing a rabies vaccination and vets certificate they have also added a requirement for tape worm. This is nonsense from a veterinary perspective and is purely a political fudge. I see they are also going to continue issuing pet passports for NI dogs so yet another discrepancy. Has anyone seen the new health certificates as I also understand that they need to be written in the language of the countries you are visiting. It could be a complicated and expensive exercise if you are travelling around Europe.