Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pet Passports to End

S

ShmBK

Vehicle
Looking to buy
www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-travel-how-to-government-advice-mobile-roaming-passports-insurance-a9309246.html%3famp

Make the most of the transition period. From jan1st 2021, the pet passport becomes useless among other annoyances. I’d imagine this will affect a lot of us cali campers.

Uk to become a third country, meaning we need a blood test to confirm rabies immunity. My vet estimated a cost of £500 with potential for several rabies jabs to get a satisfactory response.

Great.

I'm not bothering for my dogs.

I expect the UK will become a Part 1 Listed country: not a lot will change. I doubt it will become an unlisted country. If it does, we will holiday without Meg.

£500 sounds like you need a new VET.

We took this route last year in readiness for this.
Bloods were taken, sent off and antibodies confirmed two weeks later. £105.

Becoming a “third” country puts us on a par with the lowest of the low.
It’s more likely we will be categorised “first” meaning things remain pretty much unchanged.

It’s not decided yet. Read on down

23F0836F-2F03-42F1-8890-72D476A1C6C3.jpeg

My vet has been trying to suggest I needed to get extra vaccs and blood tests for the last 18 months.
Until, or if, any thing changes, my existing pet passports are valid for 3 years (between vaccinations). 2 are due for rabies jab June 2020 and the other 2 in 2021. I plan to get these done and passport updated as if nothing has changed, until I hear any changes have been confirmed.
Personally, I don’t see much will change, unless a case of rabies is confirmed in the UK.

We have EU pet passports for our 2 dogs and travel back to the UK twice a year (at present!), to be on the safe side we decided not to take any risks and had the blood tests done in anticipation of last year’s April deadline. The tests cost us a total of around 250€ for the 2 dogs, at the same time we registered with a Vet in the UK.
We now just have to wait and see, but in our opinion it’s better to be safe than sorry, and we will not travel without our pets.

Item relating to this on the BC this morning said that (like most other issues) all will remain the same until 31/12/2020 then it will depend on what is negotiated during the next 11 months.
Pets will enter a new regime where (I think) a 4 month process before entering the EU will commence.

The actual implications of being out of the EU are only just starting to be realised by many people.

Last edited:
Item relating to this on the BC this morning said that (like most other issues) all will remain the same until 31/12/2020 then it will depend on what is negotiated during the next 11 months.
Pets will enter a new regime where (I think) a 4 month process before entering the EU will commence.

The actual implications of being out of the EU are only just starting to realised by many people.
For the vast majority of UK holidaymakers it would have absolutely no impact whatsoever as they never even consider taking their pets abroad. We never. And don't forget it would work both ways if agreement was not reached. Time will tell.

www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-travel-how-to-government-advice-mobile-roaming-passports-insurance-a9309246.html%3famp

Make the most of the transition period. From jan1st 2021, the pet passport becomes useless among other annoyances. I’d imagine this will affect a lot of us cali campers.

Uk to become a third country, meaning we need a blood test to confirm rabies immunity. My vet estimated a cost of £500 with potential for several rabies jabs to get a satisfactory response.

Great.
Hmmmm think your Vet is exaggerating the cost this is way way over estimates we’ve heard, be interesting to see how it develops.
We would never leave our dogs in kennels, if the price you’ve been quoted became a reality we wouldn’t travel abroad. If the dogs can’t go, we don’t go.

Great.
I have just picked up the Rabies Serology cert for my dog today, the rabies injection has about £60 (needed anyway for new pet passport) and the follow up blood test was a little over £140. There is no guarantee that the blood test will be a pass first time and therefore may need to be repeated multiple times however my vets opinion was that as my dog had received rabies injections in the past (for pet passport compliance) it was highly likely the antibody levels would be high enough for a pass the first time around (which proved to be the case).
I am really looking forward to paying more for goodness knows what else in the future but that ok because we have taken back control.

I had to start this process before the general election and therefore paid the extra for the blood test to ensure we could travel in April no matter what the outcome of the general election / Jan 31st deadline as there was always the possibility of the rules changing.

If and when the new rules come into play travel with the pet is only permitted 3 months after the date that the positive blood test sample was taken and the first blood test can only be taken 29 days after the rabies injection therefore this process needs to start at least 4 months before your intended travel date and 5 or 6 months will be needed if the test needs to be repeated 2 or 3 times.

Last edited:
I have just picked up the Rabies Serology cert for my dog today, the rabies injection has about £60 (needed anyway for new pet passport) and the follow up blood test was a little over £140. There is no guarantee that the blood test will be a pass first time and therefore may need to be repeated multiple times however my vets opinion was that as my dog had received rabies injections in the past (for pet passport compliance) it was highly likely the antibody levels would be high enough for a pass the first time around (which proved to be the case).
I am really looking forward to paying more for goodness knows what else in the future but that ok because we have taken back control.

I had to start this process before the general election and therefore paid the extra for the blood test to ensure we could travel in April no matter what the outcome of the general election / Jan 31st deadline as there was always the possibility of the rules changing.

If and when the new rules come into play travel with the pet is only permitted 3 months after the date that the positive blood test sample was taken and the first blood test can only be taken 29 days after the rabies injection therefore this process needs to start at least 4 months before your intended travel date and 5 or 6 months will be needed if the test needs to be repeated 2 or 3 times.
Yeah, but...blue passports!

Just how prevalent is rabies in the UK?

For the vast majority of UK holidaymakers it would have absolutely no impact whatsoever as they never even consider taking their pets abroad. We never. And don't forget it would work both ways if agreement was not reached. Time will tell.
But ‘works both ways’ isn't helpful to individuals.

We actually bought our campervan because we didn't want to go anywhere without our dogs. It seems such a palaver to go abroad so I will stick with the UK. Still amazed at the places in the UK we discover and enjoy.

But ‘works both ways’ isn't helpful to individuals.
Sorry but I think it does as there will be a body of opinion on the other side of the water who will wish the system to remain as it is, so there will be 2 groups wishing for the status quo to remain unchanged. Much better than just 1 group.
Also, in relation to European travel who does the Pet Passport actually protect?
There is No Rabies within the UK, but there is in Europe as a whole so dogs going from the UK to Europe are of no concern, infection wise, to Europe but dogs etc: returning to the UK are of concern to the UK.

We actually bought our campervan because we didn't want to go anywhere without our dogs. It seems such a palaver to go abroad so I will stick with the UK. Still amazed at the places in the UK we discover and enjoy.
Great for you to go out and enjoy the UK. But please don’t think this will be a ‘palaver’ to go elsewhere. We had to do the same when in Norway to take our two Tollers to the Netherlands. It wasn’t exorbitant and the trip was smooth. The vet check to get home was similar to what I have to do now to get back from NL to UK. The biggest differences were a blood check after the vaccination to confirm it had worked, and then a vet visit before travel ti confirm pet is well. All fairly simple and straight forward.
Yes, I wished it would stay the same. But if it doesn’t, it won’t stop me travelling with my dogs.