motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Just received an email with this link.

I haven’t heard of this increase, has anyone else?

Yes, it related to converted vans, it doesn’t affect the California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe MPV doesn't sound so bad now:Iamsorry

I don’t think my the van converters would agree. Their tax is increasing to match the California regime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having not bought a ne one... does the luxury car tax apply to new Calis (over £40k) too?

Let’s face it, the expensive converters have been getting away with this for a while. Their end product is a luxury vehicle, about time the playing field was levelled.

Let’s face it, the expensive converters have been getting away with this for a while. Their end product is a luxury vehicle, about time the playing field was levelled.
Just the governments greed, 20% VAT on a typical Cali gives them £12000+ for absolutely no effort and still they wanted more. Many more people will loose their jobs to join the thousands at Jaguar/Landrover who just happen to make expensive vehicles. People hate being taken for suckers.

Just the governments greed, 20% VAT on a typical Cali gives them £12000+ for absolutely no effort and still they wanted more. Many more people will loose their jobs to join the thousands at Jaguar/Landrover who just happen to make expensive vehicles. People hate being taken for suckers.

You're saying job losses at JLR are due to high taxes? I thought it was the shift away from diesel, and/or the drop in demand for their products in China... and/or (whisper it quietly) Brexit?

Someone has to pay taxes to pay for public services and actually I think those of us lucky enough to be able to be in the market for £50k luxury/lifestyle vehicles (Calis, conversions, RangeRovers, whatever) are a pretty fair target. I don't regard that as taking me for a sucker, I regard it as paying my fair share.

You're saying job losses at JLR are due to high taxes? I thought it was the shift away from diesel, and/or the drop in demand for their products in China... and/or (whisper it quietly) Brexit?

Someone has to pay taxes to pay for public services and actually I think those of us lucky enough to be able to be in the market for £50k luxury/lifestyle vehicles (Calis, conversions, RangeRovers, whatever) are a pretty fair target. I don't regard that as taking me for a sucker, I regard it as paying my fair share.
Obviously a combinations of factors, the shift away from diesel is also government driven even though the manufacturers have spent many £millions conforming to EU demands to ensure they are the cleanest engines ever produced.
The government should set up an account for people who consider that they are not paying a fair amount of tax to send cash. Perhaps a lottery type affair to ensure there is a possibility of ever getting something back.

If the VAT rate was reduced, VW and others would in all likelihood increase their prices. Vehicle tax should be applied consistently and without loopholes. A £40K + conversion or Motorhome is a luxury vehicle and a discretionary purchase. I don’t think anybody can dispute that. As for JLR, if they had adapted quicker to market changes and built cars that didn’t break all the time, that would be a good start.

The word is Choice.... If your bank account allows it then you have a choice. The tax part is just overall cost... It will NEVER go down.. Only up...The motorist has always been the whipping boy... always has and always will..

I don't know about anyone else but I already think I paid my fair share towards public housing etc. when I originally earned the money I paid for my cali and don't appreciate having to pay again. Double taxation is immoral in my opinion!

I don't know about anyone else but I already think I paid my fair share towards public housing etc. when I originally earned the money I paid for my cali and don't appreciate having to pay again. Double taxation is immoral in my opinion!

It’s not double taxation; it’s simply government tax coming via a number of different areas. For a constant tax take, if one area reduces, them another has to go up. Apart from obvious targets, like multinational corporations offshoring tactically, where would you like to see taxes increased to offset reduced tax on our Calis? Like others, I think taxes on clearly luxury and polluting items are fair and probably why virtually every country in the world does similar.

What utter crap. Tax people on what they earn and let them spend that money on what they want without penalties.

So what your saying is I haven't been taxed twice on this money? I think you may be wrong there and just because that's the way it's done / always been done doesn't mean it's right.

You can say it's a moral issue if you want, or crap, but all governments have to raise the tax revenue to fund the level of public services mandated by the electorate, and all use a mix of direct and indirect taxes.

I'm not an economist but the economic principles aren't too hard to grasp. If you tried to replace indirect taxes (chiefly, VAT and excise duties) you'd need to more than double income taxes and that would predictably drag down output by imposing disincentives to employment.

Indirect taxes also have other advantages, in being cheap to collect and able to applied to all consumers not just those who are earning within the economy (including, for example, foreign tourists). They can also be used to modify demand for goods that are not socially beneficial - eg the taxes on petrol and diesel which are an effective pollution control mechanism.

The following government petition has arrived in one of my email inboxes! Not sure if it also applies to our T4/5/6. & other similar Campervans, but in any event sounds near catastrophic with a massive road tax hike!!!

It does not apply to California's as they are already taxed at correct rates. The intended change is for the big motorhomes which escape the higher tax level which already applies to luxury vehicles and big polluters rather than the PLG rate they pay now.
If you read earlier posts this is already on the forum.

Last edited:
Back