Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Petrol in diesel

S

seksybun

Hi all,I've just accidentally put petrol in my diesel engine :help anyone please

how much, did you put in a little or a full tank. my understanding is you should not even turn the key on as the fuel pump can stat up when turned on and start pumping I would ring VW assist before moving

I did this in my Touran 140 TDI.

Just filled it up with Diesel and drove it, kept topping it up as soon as I could.

It was fine.

If I have put Petrol in a diesel engine

Do not turn on the ignition or start the vehicle

Realistically a small amount of petrol in a diesel engine should not cause to much damage as long as you have not started the ignition and can top up with diesel.

The AA advice is as follows:

If you've added more than 10% (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) petrol – Drain the tank and refill with diesel.

If you've added less than 10% petrol (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) – Top up with diesel and run normally unless the manufacturer has advised otherwise.

If your car is still within its warranty period you should first seek advice from the manufacturer as their guidelines may be different.
Googled :)

I did it in my Volvo, and Volvo assistance came to take it to the local dealer to drain the tank. Volvo insisted that the entire fuel system was replaced or the warranty would be invalid (everything from fuel pump to injectors)...I'd put about 5l of petrol into about 15l of diesel already in the tank, and driven 20ft off the pump.
Luckily my insurance covered it :D
As I understand it, modern diesel engines have much tighter tolerances than old ones, and rely on the diesel to lubricate things like the fuel pump. I think with an older one (like my Landie), I'd either drain the tank and just ignore it, or if it was only a small amount of petrol, just fill up with diesel and carry on

So lots of advise for you seksybun, and sorry to hear about your error. It would be nice to hear the outcome of what you did in the end to sort it out.

No news so either scrapped your van or a hoax?

johntowers46 said:
Meoncoast said:
No news so either scrapped your van or a hoax?

Well said meoncoast, i don't know why we have to put up with "convince me to buy a cali"

john :headbang
No indication they were a Cali owner. Probably trawled a few forums looking for help and we'll hear no more from them. Frustrating though it is, unlike the woodwork forum that is starting up :laugh2 I might pick up some useful tips for making my kitchen pod.

Andy

Quite a useful thread for me,

Hoax, trawl, genuine cry for help ..... Whatever, I now know what to do if I find myself starting to put the wrong fuel in Albert.

Jenny I have used diesel cars for years, and never made an error but always fit a fuel angel type protection for the small cost over the life of cars/van worth the small outlay " I think"

Can't see a problem with the original post !! nothing rude,aggressive or offensive about it, as Granny Jen says it could be helpful to some.
I have put petrol in diesel engines many times, on purpose to stop the diesel from waxing up in frosty weather. This was in the Caterpillar D8 bulldozers that I ran (14 foot blades
on them) and also Detroit two stroke diesel timber loaders.
I had a VW Syncro diesel truck for over 21 years and I put petrol in that by mistake just as I was selling it, :headbang never did it before in all the years I have been driving on and off road.Since
1945 Started on the farm tractors. :smile
By the way the Syncro is or has been completely rebuilt.
Regards to all
Timber

I cant see any thing wrong either with the original post and I think it is great to get help from the forum and its members ( I have had such help when new to it) but over the last couple of years I have visited this site the number of time I have seen post for "urgent help" appearing on the forum often a first post from someone,-- members go out of the way giving advise and help no reply ever made, So makes me wonder if there are Calis full of petrol stuck somewhere along the way and others from other posts struck in campsites with the roof struck up. or their keys locked inside in deepest Scotland.

over the years i have been on here ( and other forums) I have seen several urgent posts like this where people have just one post and then get the information they want and don't even have the courtesy to say thank you, it does not take long to post a thank you message.

I've just done the same. I put in 6 litres of petrol into my 64 plate Cali on Saturday. The tank was over ⅓ full. I then topped up with diesel to another 40 litres and drove home about 300 m to get off the forecourt. The van was collected by the AA and the VW garage is telling me that the whole system has to be replaced at a cost of £4500-5000 or my warranty will be invalidated.
Can this possibly be correct? Should I call VW Customer Services?
Many thanks for any help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got told exactly the same when I did almost exactly that (I drove 20m) in my Volvo. Volvo said I had to replace all the fuel system, or lose the warranty. Luckily, my insurance covered it...worth checking

Thanks, TwoDogs. I'll try them. Still seems pretty extreme to me in view of the earlier comments on this thread. They've said that they can drain it for "only" £500, but they would notify VW and we would not be insured for any engine-related problems in the future

I had this in my E Class Mercedes two years ago, its cost me around £3,500 to get sorted, I was with Direct Line at the time and it was not covered.

Does anyone know if Comfort will cover this?

skip.lesion said:
Does anyone know if Comfort will cover this?

Good news is 'quite possibly' but each claim treated separately so worth giving them a call

Why on earth should one expect vehicle insurance to cover this ? This is why insurance is getting so expensive.

Andy - I admire your certainty that you will never in your life make a stupid and very expensive mistake

I put 5 litres of petrol in a diesel car once. I filled the tank brim full and had no ill effects. If they want to "replace the whole systems" then you don't have much to loose by just driving it, but now Volkswagen know it has happened. :doh

Insurance covers this (sometimes) because that's what insurance is for! If insurance didn't cover people making mistakes, most things wouldn't be covered.

When I did it, I was told that older deisel engines could quite happily run with a small quantity of petrol mixed in, and you could just keep topping up with fuel for a few hundred miles to keep dilutng it. Modern engines have much finer tolerances, and could be damaged. It might not be true, but I'm not sure I'd risk it in nearly new vehicle.

If I was to ignore the manufacture's advice, I'd want to know exactly what was excluded from any future warranty claims.

Back