Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

PF Jones towbar fitting?

Hi Blubus.

We have owned many Caravans over the years at present we have a Swift Elegance 580 2016 year.
We owned our previous 2014 Vw California 180 SE Manual for 4 years very good tow vehicle..
We upgraded the rear suspension with a pedders kit totally transformed the back end, no more saggy bottom.
When trading it in, I took them off to fit to fit on our 204 Auto.
Very easy job to do.

What will you be towing with your California?

Alan.

An Adria Isonzo :) We collect it in April.

I may then be able to answer my own question 'Is bigger better' = California + Adria

Hi Blubus.

We have owned many Caravans over the years at present we have a Swift Elegance 580 2016 year.
We owned our previous 2014 Vw California 180 SE Manual for 4 years very good tow vehicle..
We upgraded the rear suspension with a pedders kit totally transformed the back end, no more saggy bottom.
When trading it in, I took them off to fit to fit on our 204 Auto.
Very easy job to do.

What will you be towing with your California?

Alan.

What model and do you know the MTPLM .

Our Swift is on a single axle with a MTPLM of 1650,

Alan

Are you upgrading your rear suspension, when we first towed with our previous California, I thought she sat low on the back end.
After going on this forum, that’s when I learnt of the saggy bottom situation.
The Pedders suspension kit comprises of stronger shock absorbers and stronger
And bigger springs..
I went on you tube to find out how to change them over, took about 1hr from start
To finish.
Then got our California on a four wheel alignment just to check all was ok.

Alan.

I had not considered upgrading the springs, I will investigate :) How can I tell the load rating of the current rear springs?

Are you upgrading your rear suspension, when we first towed with our previous California, I thought she sat low on the back end.
And bigger springs..
I went on you tube to find out how to change them over, took about 1hr from start
To finish.

Alan.

Not sure how you do that, there has been discussions on the forum about the soft backend on California’s,
As you are aware a lot of Cali owners lower there California’s,
I personally did not want to do that but wanted a option to give better handling when towing, I was surprised how it transformed our California even driving solo.
Have you towed before if so with what vehicle.

And bigger springs..
To finish.

Alan.
According to the VW technical drawings for both the T5/5.1 and T6 the distance from wheel centre to top of wheel arch is greater for the front than the rear. This is because if fully laden and on full suspension travel the rear wheel will move up into the wheel arch at the rear But if you had the same measurement at the Front and were on Full Lock the front wheels would foul the wheel arch.
So there is no “ saggy bottom “.
This doesn’t mean that the towing experience might not be improved by stiffer rear springs or some form of rear spring assist if towing with a Nose Weight close to or over the maximum. However driving without towing might be compromised in this situation. Adjustable Spring Assist is a good compromise.

Hi Welshgas.

I personally read on this forum about saggy bottom although they call it saggy
A — S E.
I do understand what you are talking about, if you read other forum members comments they to have got a good results with pedders suspension
I personally am very Happywith it, so when weather improves will be fitting our back on to California

Hi, I think because we have parking sensors and reversing camera we would have to have the detachable version.
My van has sensors and camera with a fixed tow ball. No problems. The tow hitch is handy as a visual aid when using the reversing camera.

I had one fitted a few months back, it was done by an independent guy who does all the fitting for the local VW dealer, he had it in his workshop for the best part of a day, four post lift, bumper off, all the under trays off, wiring run under the floor pan, all westfalia bits, thirteen pin socket with an adapter, all works ok. He fitted a full set of genuine mud flaps as well, 750 quid. VW wanted a grand for the tow-bar alone. Its not really a job to do on the drive.
I fitted my pf Jones tow bar on my drive. No need remove front bumper. Took me a day.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi, I think because we have parking sensors and reversing camera we would have to have the detachable version.
'Tis better to get the wiring installed correctly in modern vehicles and you can have either type of tow bar fitted if this is done.

When integrated into the CanBus system, all that needs to be done is re-code the onboard computer to tell the van it has a tow bar fitted. All the electronic adjustments are made to ignore the fixed towbar, sense when the tow electrics are in use, disable the rear fogs, adjust the suspension and braking, turn off the rear sensors and put up the towing image on the radio when in reverse.

I don't have a reversing camera, but that may also be disabled when towing.

All of the above is irrespective of a detachable or fixed tow bar.

If you get the trailer lighting tacked into the rear lights, as was the practice some years ago, then none of this will happen and the reversing sensors will detect the fixed tow bar, to your constant irritation, and the rear fogs will provide a blinding red light in your rear view mirror if switched on when towing.

Oh, and the braking won't be adjusted to accommodate the extra weight at the rear.

Alan

Last edited:
'Tis better to get the wiring installed correctly in modern vehicles and you can have either type of tow bar fitted if this is done.

When integrated into the CanBus system, all that needs to be done is re-code the onboard computer to tell the van it has a tow bar fitted. All the electronic adjustments are made to ignore the fixed towbar, sense when the tow electrics are in use, disable the rear fogs, adjust the suspension and braking, turn off the rear sensors and put up the towing image on the radio when in reverse.

I don't have a reversing camera, but that may also be disabled when towing.

All of the above is irrespective of a detachable or fixed tow bar.

If you get the trailer lighting tacked into the rear lights, as was the practice some years ago, then none of this will happen and the reversing sensors will detect the fixed tow bar, to your constant irritation, and the rear fogs will provide a blinding red light in your rear view mirror if switched on when towing.

Oh, and the braking won't be adjusted to accommodate the extra weight at the rear.

Alan

The reversing camera will need to be coded, so when the electric cable is attached “trailer stabilisation” is activated, which controls the vehicle stability sensors. If done correctly, (as in factory fit) the reversing screen will show that a “trailer” is attached, (split screen shows when electrical input is sensed) the rear parking sensors are switched off automatically when “trailer attached” but the camera will still work fully.

The reversing camera will need to be coded, so when the electric cable is attached “trailer stabilisation” is activated, which controls the vehicle stability sensors. If done correctly, (as in factory fit) the reversing screen will show that a “trailer” is attached, (split screen shows when electrical input is sensed) the rear parking sensors are switched off automatically when “trailer attached” but the camera will still work fully.

Here is a link showing my van fitted with the tow bar and the park pilot screen showing the trailer attached etc.

Not show:
The rear camera still works as it should during reversing - hope this helps - if in doubt get some proper professional advise about the coding

https://www.satnavsystems.com/product/westfalia-detachable-towbar/

Another supplier of original equipment is HazzyDayz (Markyate)

Both of the above know their stuff and fit oem tow bars !

If you do go to SatNav systems, ask them to turn on the voice control, they did it for free.

Thanks, but I don’t know if or how I could use it? I have a 2015 T5 without controls on the steering wheel or Bluetooth. I’ll have a word with them and see what other modest upgrades I could get to the electronics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These guys did mine, it was a retro fit of the factory westfalia removable tow bar

I can highly recommend them , Excellent service, took a couple of hours, included coding for reversing camera, trailer stabilisation etc.

identical to factory fit, good neat job at a fair price compared to others, possibly not the cheapest, but possibly the best!

approved by Audi and recommended to me by the main VW dealer I bought the van from.

They will travel and fit at your home or place of work for a small additional fee.
Satnav Systems, Unit G, Argent Court, 175 Hook Rise South, Surbiton
KT6 7NL

GPS coordinates: 51 22’20.3″ N, 000 17’23.5″ W

tel: 0203 1414 114

tel: 0808 222 0000

www.satnavsystems.com

Thanks for the recommendation, I have just booked mine in for the same. Initial contact and communication has been excellent :thumb

Thanks for the recommendation, I have just booked mine in for the same. Initial contact and communication has been excellent :thumb

Can you report back on how you get on? I’m planning to book with them, just haven’t got around to it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk