Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofit towbar check.

BillyCasper

BillyCasper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a 2015 SE without towbar.

I've read some of the threads about retrofitting and contacted PF Jones.

They recommend:

Westfalia: https://www.pfjones.co.uk/volkswagen-t5-transporter-2009-2015-westfalia-detachable-towbar.html

Dedicated 7-pin wiring which is a kit made for the vehicle. Dedicated wiring on this vehicle would require the vehicle coding.

For about £550 all in.

I just want to check with any others that have gone down this route, that this is what they have had successfully fitted.

Thanks and regards.

I changed a fixed bar for a removable one and replaced the electrics (wired into the rear lights) for a 7pin loom from PF Jones. The wiring loom routes under the van above the splash guards and a couple of cables pop up below the passenger seat. The rest goes into the engine compartment on my 2010 van.

All relatively easy except routing the CanBus cables which pass through the engine bulkhead low down by the steering column to rise to behind the main light switch behind the dash.

I did need to get my local garage to code the computer though, as I don't have access to the VW software.

Alan

I changed a fixed bar for a removable one and replaced the electrics (wired into the rear lights) for a 7pin loom from PF Jones. The wiring loom routes under the van above the splash guards and a couple of cables pop up below the passenger seat. The rest goes into the engine compartment on my 2010 van.

All relatively easy except routing the CanBus cables which pass through the engine bulkhead low down by the steering column to rise to behind the main light switch behind the dash.

I did need to get my local garage to code the computer though, as I don't have access to the VW software.

Alan
Interesting, on mine the canbus wires go under carpet, under driver seat & up under dash. Same loom from pf Jones but 13 pin.
Did not find any holes through bulkhead.

All doable in a day. I have VCDS & can code it for you if near Milton Keynes. Other members have VCDS.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Interesting, on mine the canbus wires go under carpet, under driver seat & up under dash. Same loom from pf Jones but 13 pin.
Did not find any holes through bulkhead.

All doable in a day. I have VCDS & can code it for you if near Milton Keynes. Other members have VCDS.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I think the the wiring varies depending on the year. My van is early 2010 and was listed as 2009-onwards and was a 7 pin socket supplied by ECS.

It has a control box in the battery compartment with a direct power connection to the battery plus connections under the passenger seat, rear fogs and reversing lights if I recall correctly. All easy apart from the CanBus, which was a PITA. Ideally needed the van on a lift to route that.

Quite possibly the grommeted holes change year on year as well as the fuse layouts.

Alan

I'll agree with @Andy above, it's no problem except perhaps routing the loom up the chassis. On a T5 access to the BCM is much easier that on a T6 but you do need someone with VCDS (or similar) to code it.

@BillyCasper that Westfalia bar and VW kit is exactly what I had fitted to our T6 and is identical to the factory fit. I paid £590 inc vat fitted and coded.

Thanks all for your replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back