Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

PFJones towbar fault

Raggedroy

Raggedroy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, I have odd fault with my new tow bar. I have just fitted the complete 13pin wiring kit from PFJones as my van didn't have tow bar prep already installed. I have had it coded by a friend with the VAGCOM software. All trailer lights work as they should with the exception of the brake lights. The trailer brake lights come on when I start my van, after approx. 1 min they go off, when press the brake peddle, the come back on and stay on for min or so. I'm thinking there is a fault with the control module. Does anyone have an idea as to what the fault could be? Thanks.

Sounds like you have a sticking relay, is there one on the module? if so that could be the problem.
Although why should the brake lights come on when starting the engine?

Hi Raggedroy,

Did you get this sorted? I seem to have the same issue. 13pin PF Jones kit no prep

Hi Raggedroy,

Did you get this sorted? I seem to have the same issue. 13pin PF Jones kit no prep
Hi, yes all sorted now. It turns out the red and black cable that I connected to, that is in the multi pin connector behind the light switch panel, should have been black and red. I had connected to a permenant 12v instead of the brake light cable. This obviously explains why the brake lights were permanently on.

The red and black cable on the PF Jones kit is a failsafe for the brakelights in case the module itself breaks. It doesn't need to be connected to check the lights work. If later the brake lights are mucked up you know you then attached the red/black wire incorrectly.

Similarly for a T6 the wire that they suggest putting through a grommet under (UK) passenger seat is only connected back to itself. Best to make that connection and seal the end, leaving the wire safely secured outside the van (i.e. why take out a grommet in the floor just to poke a wire though)