Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Photos from the caravan salon of the VW Grand California

If only they would invest time in optimizing the real cali instead of making it into an ordinairy motorhome.
The small van being a camper in disguise is why we love it so much. Why put that hidious top on it if you can have the smart lifting top.

I truely wish they will come up with a model that has the smart space usage of the t2 with the short nose and the long back. That way you lengthen your cabine by 40cm without lengthening the van. I dont want a big m***rf****ing campervan when i buy the cali, i want a small clever van in whith wich i can camp.

Preferably with a full 160x200 cm bed in it with excelent matrass. For wich i need a bit more length in the cabin. Without having to take the long wheel base option.

Also they should look at clever toilet options. That slide out from under the passenger seat for example and have casettes accesable from outside the van.

We saw it last year and were not that impressed. In that form factor, there are many, many options, The fact that it is a VW chassis is good, but the MB Sprinter models like the Grand Canyon etc. etc. are more practical in my opinion.

Why didn’t they use the Florida name from the LT camper?
Pretty obvious , the California as we know it is immense popular and directly linked to VW when it comes to campervans.
The GC is a segment VW want’s to get reborn , nothing better than sticking to the name.

Great pics, thank you!

What is the purpose of the rather flimsy looking dish that sits out from the bathroom sink?

Great pics, thank you!

What is the purpose of the rather flimsy looking dish that sits out from the bathroom sink?
Almost certainly the sink, a number of converters seem to think that sinks should be some sort of weir that just passes water into the waste tank without any splashing depth at all.

Had a look at some hymercars last week and layout looks exactly the same,as does cooking area,shower/toilet and all the cupboards just look like any van conversion to me,nothing too special
especially don't like the two rear side sticky out bits which enable the bed to be transverse
Dave and lisa
The Yosemite looks very practical!

It doesn’t look like the most robust of set-ups.

It's a tarted up version of a Hymercar (Yosemite, Grand Canyon) and will be judged by the quality of those excellent campervans. It's not a Cali and VW should've come up with a different name.

Has it got one of those circular sinks for spitting pinky mouth wash into?

Last edited:
Just seen the videos of the grand by Bus and Beyond (aka California camping). Lot bigger vehicle than the t6 but isn't even set up to sleep 4 adults in the 600 (2 adults and 2 kids) and the 680 is only a 2 berth. Long live the Cali Beach/ Ocean, even VW cant beat it!!! The 600 is a fugly machine as well with that massive hump! No stealth camping in this, this is an obvious Motorhome. And once again, VW are at it with the extensive overpriced options, even a parking heater is an option, come on VW, its a motohome, should be standard!!

Really like the look of the 600 without the extended roof. Would be perfect for us to do longer European trips. The Ocean is great but having the fixed bathroom, bed and bigger kitchen will make for a fantastic year round, off grid tourer. It will, of course, come down to relative pricing against its competition. It’s a completely different proposition to the Ocean so fair play to VW for launching it.

From what I've read and heard on this thread, the optional diesel parking heater also provides hot water. Since it's supposed to be exactly the same unit as used on the Standard Cali, the obvious question is, why have VW never bothered to provide conventional Cali owners with this feature?

The other curious thing is the 90 litre grey water tank capacity when the fresh water tank holds 110 litres. Where does that last twenty litres go? Down the toilet I assume!

My understanding is the heater and hot water is powered by gas as standard, but there is an option for a diesel heater instead.

And once again, VW are at it with the extensive overpriced options, even a parking heater is an option, come on VW, its a motohome, should be standard!!
the optional diesel parking heater also provides hot water.

My understanding is the heater and hot water is powered by gas as standard, but there is an option for a diesel heater instead.
You may be right. I am almost certain that I saw this info mentioned on a Youtube video.The presenter mentioned the standard gas heating and then went on to say that the diesel parking heater as fitted to the Ocean could be optioned instead. I remember him saying that this unit will supply hot water as well.
I have just searched again and cannot find this reference. I'm now wondering if the original video has been edited.

You will need a whole lot of money on GC -optionlist .

Has anybody pre ordered one yet?? Who will claim the first grand California trophy?! :bananadance2

Borris, it was the Bus & Beyond video, as I heard that & it's the only one I've watched. Think it was after the look at the 680?

The show in Düsseldorf was all about the grand. But i wonder what are the updates for the Ocean?

I would absolutely love the back door window being able to open without the whole door, like in the MP. An awning light would be nice.

I can’t find anything on a new cali, will there be anything new for Cali 2019?

It seems likely that the main change is that the front of the bellows will have a zip and can be opened to create an full viewing window. Whether this is standard, or an option or only available on the Ocean, who knows.

It's a nice feature and certainly something I would of wanted, had it been available.

Borris, it was the Bus & Beyond video, as I heard that & it's the only one I've watched. Think it was after the look at the 680?
Yes, you're right, it was that video. Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I'd imagined it.

The question now is, will the diesel parking heater option actually provide hot water as stated or is that just duff gen? If this info is correct. there is an obvious second question, will the standard Cali benefit from hot water as well in future?

Back