Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New Volkswagen Grand California is confirmed

I notice in these latest photos it's called the Grand California 600, which I suspect is its length? (and following the convention of Westfalia and many others building similar vans).

Heard a rumour that VW are aiming for the NEC in October. Price "northwards" of 80k.

I notice in these latest photos it's called the Grand California 600, which I suspect is its length? (and following the convention of Westfalia and many others building similar vans).

Makes me wonder if they'll be a Grand California 650 with the rear extension bump?

There's going to be a 600 and a 680! 600 will be a transverse bed and the 680 will be longitudinal

Do we have anyone on the ground at the show today that can post photos and details? :)

Looks like a speed camera van from the back..

I expected better windows than that from VW. With the pop-out side panels / windows to get the bed width, I think the windows all look a bit of a mess.

Just found this https://www.promobil.de/vw-crafter-grand-california-xxl-2019/ it shows a few photos I had not seen.

And a video
Good video, you can get more info if you autotranslate the subtitles. Also shows the 680 model.
First impressions,

Poor windows to rear and due to transverse bed (not the biggest) no side windows makes it seem a bit gloomy in the back.

Cool design areas that have disappeared, the glass roof has gone to make way for more trad roof skylights and the cool burners/ sink area now looks like a standard T5 conversion unit.

The kitchen cupboards etc, all look a bit Ikea/B&Q rather than Westfalia quality.

Side opening fridge is similar to other vehicles in this category.

I see the picnic table and chairs are the same as T6.

The colour changing LED light strip is a bit faddy, going for cheap style points there.

Overall it looks nice but not enough glazing for me compared with others and not as innovative as the design model. I think it will appeal to the VW crowd but there is some very good competition out there.

Last edited:
The only plus is the toilet compartment but at the cost of losing an everyday vehicle. The price will put it up against A Class Hymers and others far more spacious inside and practical IMHO. Sorry but not for me.

The kitchen cupboards etc, all look a bit Ikea/B&Q rather than Westfalia quality.
Totally agree.

Even the 'bins' for the deck chairs look like something a small converter would have knocked up.

I'm not sure what the vw strategy is here. So far it looks to be damaging the Cali name (which in my view should have been retained for the T3/4/5/6 'car sized' models.

Totally agree.

Even the 'bins' for the deck chairs look like something a small converter would have knocked up.

I'm not sure what the vw strategy is here. So far it looks to be damaging the Cali name (which in my view should have been retained for the T3/4/5/6 'car sized' models.
Bring back the "Exclusive"!

The starting price apparently 55.000 Euros for the 600 version according to some German websites. And this includes the 177hp 2 liter diesel engine as standard. Fairly keenly priced.

The starting price apparently 55.000 Euros for the 600 version according to some German websites. And this includes the 177hp 2 liter diesel engine as standard. Fairly keenly priced.
Seems very low considering the last time I looked at a Crafter as a basic van was £40K. Add the normal things like paint and LED's etc and the van is close to that price itself.

Totally agree.

Using the California name would have numerous advantages for VW

Established market recognition and potential loyalty.

No need to worry about world wide new name clashing with registered ones in some corner of the world.

Saves a small fortune in marketing a new product name. Rides on the back of the 'T' range.

A bit like saying a Passat is a Grand Golf.

It feels very cramped from the video, and would struggle to see how practical it is with a dog, let alone a kid or two.

Having the loo is the one thing I like about it....everything else feels compromised imo. Also, it doesn't seem like a ton of space in the rear for storing drive-aways and other stuff.

I guess the video may not do it justice, seeing one in the flesh would be better. If the price is correct though, it's much better than I was expecting.

Once above the Cali's 5mtr length and 2mtr height it gets into both the 3.5tonnes van conversion range and with 6 and 6.8mtr lengths it also is in the motorhome range, especially the 6.8 version. Tough sell .

If memory serves 6mtr is often the limit for motorhomes on many French sites.
0.8mtr makes a lot of difference when getting round corners.
With the onboard toilet it is more suitable for French Aire stops.

So far it looks to be damaging the Cali name (which in my view should have been retained for the T3/4/5/6 'car sized' models.

Yes I agree, there’s plenty of American states to cull a model name from; it could be the Volkswagen Virginia; or a spell checker nightmare like Massachusetts or Mississippi.

Or UK county, VW Merseyside or even ... dare I say, Devon! ;)

Looks like Mercedes are launching something very similar based on the Sprinter, I must say it looks better than the Grand

post13742_2.jpg

mercedes-2018-concept-camper-vans-24.jpg

It does look tight in there which begs the question is the compromise on vehicle size when compared to the T6 justifiable

Back