Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pioneer F930BT

I was a rep covering most of the UK a while back and never got lost - just a bit of planning and...this may be a bit shocking... asking locals for directions once you get near your destination

Fire stations are always good for directions.

Andy said:
I was a rep covering most of the UK a while back and never got lost - just a bit of planning and...this may be a bit shocking... asking locals for directions once you get near your destination

Fire stations are always good for directions.

And pubs...

...apparently....

Hi there everyone!

I don't know if this should be on a new thread, but just before a trip to Barcelona via Paris and the Alps this January we fitted a Pioneer AVH X3500DAB unit not entirely dissimilar to the one discussed above. It worked brilliantly but initially there were issues as it lost ALL power on ignition removal. This wasn't so much of a problem in Europe as we were using the iPhone/iPad and CDs, but a total pain when we got home as of course all radio stations were lost every time it went off. A short visit to the fitters (Autotronix of Bedford) and it was fixed. Even now though it stays on with the key in the ignition (never checked how long for) it powers off when the key is removed from the ignition slot.

The question I really wanted to ask was if anyone knows if the wiring for a remote control steering wheel is included in our California (an '06 174 SE 4-Motion) so that I could hopefully find and fit one of these and thus keep my hands where they should be?

The screen and DVD player are great when enjoying the unit from the living area or 'upstairs bedroom' as I have the optional IR remote, but angled as it is in the dash (following the slope neatly) reflections make it difficult to check at a glance when driving. So, along with the steering wheel control I'd also like to get some sort of insert that angles it a bit towards the driver and brings it slightly more to the vertical.

Having had Discoverys for the last 20 years or so, actually having to actually move a hand off the wheel to adjust the radio/player is definitely a huge step backwards.

Incidentally, we had loads of snow in Paris as well as in the Alps and whilst 2WD Caravelle taxis were sliding around all over the place the 4-Motion was as sure fotted as can be. To be honest, I felt this had more grip with its Michelin Alpins than I've ever had in any Land Rover I've owned, although I've never had winter tyres on one.

Kind regards.

Rob.

2006 Black California 4-Motion 174

Rob.

Prefacelift Cali's certainly could have a multifunction steering wheel. I have not seen a UK Cali with one but I am sure they exist and almost certainly exist on pre facelift Caravelles.

It's quite different in appearance to the facelift steering wheel with buttons. Why not speak to a retrofitting place for an idea on retro fitting one.

James

Thank you, James.

Is there anyone you might recommend - we're fairly new to this lark having slept on top of our Defender 110 last year we thought this would be a lot more civilised ;-) We're in Bedfordshire but that needn't matter as long as you know someone who knows what they're doing - as I'm sure you do!

Rob

RobdeBear said:
Thank you, James.

Is there anyone you might recommend - we're fairly new to this lark having slept on top of our Defender 110 last year we thought this would be a lot more civilised ;-) We're in Bedfordshire but that needn't matter as long as you know someone who knows what they're doing - as I'm sure you do!

Rob

Hi Rob

http://www.hazzydayz.com/transporter-7h ... -100-c.asp

Would be one choice - the problem may be sourcing a prefacelift Steering wheel as they normally fit new parts - the best bet would be to give them a call.

Hazzy Dayz every time for me for retrofitting anything to the Cali. They're located near Luton.

I tested the new Kenwood on Friday and it is a very nice bit of kit, I am tempted to swap this over and take my 510 out . would it be a straight swap? easy to do myself? Is the Pioneer better?

lonsdale13 said:
I tested the new Kenwood on Friday and it is a very nice bit of kit, I am tempted to swap this over and take my 510 out . would it be a straight swap? easy to do myself? Is the Pioneer better?

Is Pioneer better .... that's personal preference. Don't think either is better but different.

Back