Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pitching process

Taff7996

Taff7996

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
She who must be obayed, who has OCD, wants me to draw up a process for Pitching our soon to arrive van

It needs to be a point by point process, so that we minimise double handlin

I've suggested
Assess location,
Overhanging trees
Slope of pitch, which direction to park, across or up/down
Direction of prevailing wind, for awning and roof
Position of EHU

What else is there to consider

Go to a caravan club site (caravan and motorhome club - new name?) and you'll have no worries, as they will tell you exactly where to park, and allow you no input whatsoever!

Last edited:
She who must be obayed, who has OCD, wants me to draw up a process for Pitching our soon to arrive van

I've suggested
Assess location,
Overhanging trees
Position of EHU

Seriously??

:confused:

Just find a nice spot, wind out the awning, pull out the chairs, grab beer/wine/G&T*** and relax! :)

***delete as appropriate.

Check its level and level up if necessary before winding out awning...

Wind out awning and peg(tether) immediately before doing anything else.

Ah the joy of a Cali. Be parked up and sitting outside with the first snifter within 5 mins, breathing fresh air and with heart rate/stress levels as low as can be, watching the caravanners arse around with their jockey wheels, legs, water butts etc etc etc. After 30 years of tents and caravans, what a relief. Smug satisfied smile .....

Go to a caravan club site (caravan and motorhome club - new name?) and you'll have no worries, as they will tell you exactly where to park, and allow you no input whatsoever!

This year on our tour we did 6 of their sites - at all we could choose the pitch and no issue which way around we parked. Progress.

I've suggested
Assess location,
Overhanging trees
Position of EHU

1. Rule: Have a Beer
2. Rule: Inspect Pitch
3. Rule: Place car (Prioritise: the cali to be in level, then winddirection and finally privacy)
4. Rule: Roof up (Hook-up)
5. Rule: Open a bottle of wine
6. Rule: Roll out awning if secure (Put on sides if more privacy is needed)
7. Rule: Bring out chairs and table
8. Rule: Have a glass of wine - settle down
9. Rule: Make bed, prepare barbecue, turn on music on low volume
10. Rule: Relax

;-)

One does best concider a few things when pitching up but afther a while you get used to it and don't worry to much ....

Sun , wind , rain , angle of the pitch , neighbours or not,.....it all have some influence but in general many Cali users(i am one of those) stay only one night at thesame site so usual the most important thing is as @Kmann says ....bring out the drinks and enjoy ......

First up is a cup of tea and two rich tea biscuits. One doesn't do it.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is alcohol compulsory?

It is you suggesting "drinks" to be alcohol....;)
Can be anything offcoarse.
Putting a drink on the table also gives a good indication if not the Cali is levelled:thumb

Good point! I would leave the 'drinkypoos' until the awnings, levelling and roofing is done properly as from experience there is too much to go wrong. Liking the idea of a checklist for parking up. Will be packing a compass for sure....

An excuse to pour a glass for levelling? Now that IS a useful tip, I used to run some water into sink!

Good point! I would leave the 'drinkypoos' until the awnings, levelling and roofing is done properly as from experience there is too much to go wrong. Liking the idea of a checklist for parking up. Will be packing a compass for sure....

An excuse to pour a glass for levelling? Now that IS a useful tip, I used to run some water into sink!

The dash info should say in witch direction your Cali is pointing N-S-E-W

That's something to look for. No idea it did that? More useful tips..

Apologies for steering this away from original theme. I have not much experience out in the van, as yet, but would imagine being level is really important, not least for a good nights sleep?

Depends how much alcohol you've had... ;)

It's certainly preferable to be 'levelish' but as long as head is higher than feet then not an issue if a few degrees.

One tip is to try to avoid pitching under large trees with crows nesting. The van is not a pretty sight in the morning.

Back