Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Poll: What discount did you get on a T6 Cali?

What discount did you achieve on your purchase of a T6 VW California

• No Discount

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4%

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • 5%

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • 6%

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • 7%

Votes: 43 26.4%
  • 8%

Votes: 50 30.7%
  • 9%

Votes: 32 19.6%

• Total voters
Hi.. looking to order a California Beach 150 manual (yellow hopefully). Checking on drive the deal: anyone recommend what options to add, it's my first Cali?!!
Hi Kano. Excellent choice of Cali by the way!
I think most beach owners would say get a parking heater and privacy glass. They're both something that is not as good to retro fit and you would miss if you didn't have.
I've gone for a Comfort mattress too. If you're getting the three seater bench seat it is a little less flat than the two seater and less comfy so needs a little help!
Parking sensors are handy (especially the rear - not sure the front are needed much) and probably essential if you aren't used to a bigger vehicle.
I think they are probably the essentials. After that its down to taste.

I've also chosen the following...
Debadged
Black mirrors and fog lights (exterior pack)
Black awning
Comfort/concept (?) lighting (lights in tailgate and pop top)
The lighter fabric (I know, I know!)
6" stereo and app connect (for satnav from my iPhone)
Will upgrade to 17" alloys at dealer. Will find someone who wants to sell their standard 17's and then I'll sell my 16's. Be way cheaper than the £1000 on list.

Hi daveyboydanger (Great name.. Puts my effort to shame!)
Brilliant advice - thank you!
To add to the yellow beach I was thinking:
Parking heater with auxhilary heater
Privacy glass
Black roll out awning(pos silver)
Kumato upholstery. Not seen Pillion?
So there is no lighting in tailgate or pop up?If so I agree with you it is a good add on.
Sat Nav
Re alloys - looking at the Spanish add posted on a forum(video clip) i am happy with that spec, if they are the 16 inch alloys, which I think they are?! If not happy, like you could change after.
Black mirrors/handles. Unsure if the free ones fold in electrically - guessing they do?
Still thinking about fog lights?
Does the dashboard come with a closing glovebox?
Not sure about which steering wheel.. If the basic is comfortable I maybe won't need hand controls..

Thanks for your time.. I'm almost there...!!!

Kano,
your spec looks good.
The attached picture shows the beach dash (albeit LHD) and here is a link to the german Cali brochure which shows upholstery images http://www.thevwcalifornia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/der-neue-california-.pdf
I chose the exterior pack because it was just a little more expensive than fogs but gave me black (i think painted rather than just plastic) wing mirrors but body coloured handles which I think looks the best.
The base alloys are 16 inch and look to be the same as the spanish ad. They come with highline t6's so if you nip to a VW dealer you could see them in 'the alloy'.
The wing mirrors only fold electrically if you select the option (over £100 i think).
Don't think there's any lighting in the pop-top roof unless you spec the concept pack thing. There is a 12v socket in the roof that can have a light plugged in (like the old bendy lights) but nothing as standard I think.
The base steering wheel is leather but no controls. Can't justify £400 ish for some buttons on the wheel so I'm leaving it.
Good luck!

beach dash.jpg

Hi Kano, I have also been looking on drivethedeal and from the specification I was looking at on a 204 dsg Ocean there was a decent saving to be made, which beat the discount I was offered by a dealer. I understand that the vehicles are supplied UK spec from UK dealers and presumably all other aspects of warranty apply. Are there any catches as far as you are aware? Looks a great choice on your spec BTW.

Hi Kano, I have also been looking on drivethedeal and from the specification I was looking at on a 204 dsg Ocean there was a decent saving to be made, which beat the discount I was offered by a dealer. I understand that the vehicles are supplied UK spec from UK dealers and presumably all other aspects of warranty apply. Are there any catches as far as you are aware? Looks a great choice on your spec BTW.
You could just go to a dealer and they'd probably match the quote. They'd much rather have your business and then you get to choose to buy from a local dealer.

Hi daveyboydanger (Great name.. Puts my effort to shame!)
Brilliant advice - thank you!
To add to the yellow beach I was thinking:
Parking heater with auxhilary heater
Privacy glass
Black roll out awning(pos silver)
Kumato upholstery. Not seen Pillion?
So there is no lighting in tailgate or pop up?If so I agree with you it is a good add on.
Sat Nav
Re alloys - looking at the Spanish add posted on a forum(video clip) i am happy with that spec, if they are the 16 inch alloys, which I think they are?! If not happy, like you could change after.
Black mirrors. Unsure if the free ones fold in electrically - guessing they do?
You could just go to a dealer and they'd probably match the quote. They'd much rather have your business and then you get to choose to buy from a local dealer.

Hi beesto.. spoken with my best friend re drive the deal(who happens to be in the car trade for 20years as a salesman) and he assured me that his customers have so far been very happy with dealing with drive the deal. He is at a reputable dealership and very honest with his advice. Also agree you may take the quote to a dealership and see if they can match,I think I will.

Daveyboydanger...
Brilliant again.. Thanks.
The exterior pack sounds better - I really don't want plastic wing mirrors. Painted black much better. Would like the black door handles but not that bothered really.
Also going to order the cool/ warm fridge but worried 32lts might be a little small?
Front and rear sensors come as a package.
Think will have the darker interior and glove box that closes..

Any ideas about the charcoal canister? What does this bad boy do? Sorry for my ignorance!
Oh.. and anyone upgraded the battery and alternator.. Should I.. Is the standard powerful enough..?!

Daveyboydanger...
Brilliant again.. Thanks.
The exterior pack sounds better - I really don't want plastic wing mirrors. Painted black much better. Would like the black door handles but not that bothered really.
Also going to order the cool/ warm fridge but worried 32lts might be a little small?
Front and rear sensors come as a package.
Think will have the darker interior and glove box that closes..
Sounds good Kano!
What's the option code for the glove box?
I can't work out whether to just go after market in fridge.

had mixed answers as to glove box, still unsure if it has a lockable cover. A dealer told me the cool/warm box was adequate but I still would like to see one if any one has use of one..

Just been offered 7% on a new ocean. Basic was 5% then mentioned ppl online getting more and went up to 7%.

Will use my online quote and see if can be matched..

Hi.. looking to order a California Beach 150 manual (yellow hopefully). Checking on drive the deal: anyone recommend what options to add, it's my first Cali?!!

Hi Kano - i have just ordered a yellow beach 150 manual - parking heater plus few bits. I managed to get 5% plus a £500 bike rack thrown in - makes around 7ish% off - fairly pleased with that

Hi Tim.. Great! I think I may get 8% but will have to pay for the VW bike rack. Still in discussions but unsure of the interior. Did you go for lighter or darker option? I would like to see before ordering.
What extras did you add?

Loving the yellow!!!

F and R parking sensors
Sat nav
Privacy glass
Parking heater and auxhilary heater
Comfort matress
Comfort lighting
Black awning
Fog lights
Folding wing mirrors
Might go for automatic!!!

Me so far...

Last edited:
Hi Tim.. Great! I think I may get 8% but will have to pay for the VW bike rack. Still in discussions but unsure of the interior. Did you go for lighter or darker option? I would like to see before ordering.
What extras did you add?

Loving the yellow!!!

F and R parking sensors
Sat nav
Privacy glass
Parking heater and auxhilary heater
Comfort matress
Comfort lighting
Black awning
Fog lights
Folding wing mirrors
Might go for automatic!!!

Me so far...
Haha - very close to my spec -i went for black mirrors parking sensors priv glas park heat comfort lighting black awning fogs extra rear sliding window heated screen 3 seat bench and 1 x extra ..... plus black 4 x bike rack - will reg for 1/3/16 so ready for spring / summer - cool

Ha ha .. Nice! Looking forward to completing. Let me know how it all goes..

Just over £3k off an Ocean with light spec (our previous Cali had almost everything; we hardly needed most of it!). About 6.5%; not bad.

Just over £3k off an Ocean with light spec (our previous Cali had almost everything; we hardly needed most of it!). About 6.5%; not bad.
Proper job KernowLad! Ordering my Beach very soon..
Kano (Good to speak to a fellow Cornishman!)

Last edited:
I'm not up in the options on my14/15 but I just really liked the colourway and it also feels a much more durable package to me than the lighter colourway.
I had a sneak peak at a T6 kombi today in Acapulco Blue, I must say it looked very nice inside and out apart from the paintwork, I own an Olympic blue T5 and the new lighter more pastel colourway was a little bland, marmite I suppose.

The dash layout as per the catalogue looked much more car like and overall I think new owners will be happy.

Couldn't agree more about the loss of Olympic blue. I've had my Olympic blue Cali for six months and had easily a dozen people say what a great colour it is... And indeed it is, a real emerald sheen to it and easily the nicest colour vehicle I've ever had.

So why have the numpties at VW discontinued it?

Last edited:
We are ready to go with our order and want to order within a few weeks.
From the first dealer we have tried we have been offered 5% on the basic vehicle price (£40570) and our factory options (about £3400 inc vat), though no discounts are being offered on the dealer fitted options and charges, which
Fuel-£17
Comfort Mattress-£400
Gard X £333
Delivery £ 585 (WTF?!?!?)
Registration £55
Road Tax £255

We are not going to accept the 5% only but are being told their margin is 7% so they can't budge on that.
Drive the Deal offering 7.8% on the same spec though I guess all those added bits above would be the same?!?!
Are people getting better overall deals by discounts on the dealer options? Or getting things thrown in? Or does anyone know if Drive The Deal charge less for all the fees and delivery? Does DTD force you down the finance route? Is life too short?

Last edited:
We are ready to go with our order and want to order within a few weeks.
From the first dealer we have tried we have been offered 5% on the basic vehicle price (£40570) and our factory options (about £3400 inc vat), though no discounts are being offered on the dealer fitted options and charges, which
Fuel-£17
Comfort Mattress-£400
Gard X £333
Delivery £ 585 (WTF?!?!?)
Registration £55
Road Tax £255

We are not going to accept the 5% only but are being told their margin is 7% so they can't budge on that.
Drive the Deal offering 7.8% on the same spec though I guess all those added bits above would be the same?!?!
Our people getting better overall deals by discounts on the dealer options? Or getting things thrown in? Or does anyone know if Drive The Deal charge less for all the fees and delivery? Does DTD force you down the finance route? Is life too short?
Are you happy with the DTD price?

So after your 5% they will only be getting 2%, which works out at about £800 on a £40000 + VAT vehicle? They must have more than that in it, there's more margin than that in a 5 year old Ford Fiesta on sale at your local Arthur Daleys! :confused:

Are you happy with the DTD price?
Well DTD is better than what the dealer is giving and would be happy if had confidence that this is the best out there. Delivery is £585 cheaper too! I am surprised that dealer is saying they only get 7% margin if people are achieving better than that.
Actually given the dealer charges £585 , if I consider the £0 delivery charge as a discount that makes it 9% discount

Back