Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Poll - Where are you heading on the 4th July?

What are you doing on July 4th?

• Going on holiday straight away

Votes: 36 33.6%
  • Staying at home until after school holidays

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Waiting to see how bad it gets

Votes: 42 39.3%

• Total voters
Usual procedure was abroad April to June, relax at home with day/weekend trips July and August then abroad September till early November then possibly a winter trip to Spain. This year so far, nothing. There will probably be a few day/weekend trips if we feel the urge, but it seems the whole world and their Porta Potties are gearing up to create mayhem and I don't want to be part of it.
I guess it's different when you're retired, no fixed times to plan for. If anything, I would follow kp64zl to an area I know will miss most of the impending chaos, booking not required.

Got 1 night booked for the 4th and 2 nights at a quiet site for the 10th July, now looking to get to France the 1st week of August followed by 2 weeks in September with Switzerland currently in mind - can't get on the euro tunnel website this morning, looks like everyones on it!

We will be waiting to see how things go. Nothing booked until September/October. Club meet at Slimbridge first then Looe and on to France to meet friends. Don't need to be back in UK until 21st Dec so lots of options for us but we will be cautious even then.

We won't be away until the first week of August for our main holiday but we've already booked some weekend campsites till we leave for the big one.

On the 16th going to Leicester to see family and camp nearby......leaving the south coast.....it's been horrible just driving around.

Heading to the East country - 4 nights in Devon booked from the 15th. A fairly remote site we’ve been to before and really trust as we start to feel our way through this.
Lake District and Wales (if open) booked in August. Had planned a 5 week jaunt through Switzerland/Austria/Italy/S.France over the school hols but decided a while ago that would be better put on hold until next year; may or may not have been the right decision but still feel that supporting the home economy is the right thing to do at the moment.

We were originally hoping to go to France/Switzerland this year too but not going now. Have just booked a few nights in the Lakes for mid Aug if everything is ok then. We have 2 weeks off work so will do some day trips as well.

We are hopefully off to France for two weeks on the 5th July subject to my holiday insurance being valid in France and all the transit countries by then Of course. Both the Hull-Zeebrugge ferries are apparently laid up so I’ve rebooked on the Rotterdam ferry. If Holland is out of bounds then I’ll get the tunnel on the same day.

All the campsites and hotels we have booked are open so happy to go. It will be interesting to see what sort of welcome we get. Someone has to be the first out of the trap .

Is anyone actually heading out for a holiday on the 4th July? I personally think everywhere be chaos so I am staying put until September, what is everyone else doing?
7th July off to France. ☕

I’d just like to be able to travel from Scotland to Cumbria to collect my wee Eriba and bring it home (insurance and storage paid since early March). And then to finally play with it, not even camping...
Tebay by any chance Alison.

Three nights in Kent from 6 July, practising self-sufficiency with en suite toilet and electric pump shower rather than using facilities - let's see how it goes.

Week in July no idea where yet and the same for a week in August and 19 days in September when we might go to Italy or Ireland.

We do need a practise - I went out of London for the first time since the lockdown last week, and found I'd forgotten where various things were in the van, through not having used it since February.

We are also planning to go to Northern Ireland in mid July if at all possible, as some friends are getting married on 18 July. Campsites are open there as of yesterday I think, and it would be possible to get the ferry from Liverpool. But that's eight hours and very expensive - we'd rather go via Cairnryan (only two hours) but I can not find out when it will be possible to get into Scotland to do so. So we are keeping our options open till the last minute (or week, anyway). We were originally planning a nice two-week holiday there with the wedding included, and it would be nice to be able to salvage some elements of the plan if possible.

We are also planning to go to Northern Ireland in mid July if at all possible, as some friends are getting married on 18 July. Campsites are open there as of yesterday I think, and it would be possible to get the ferry from Liverpool. But that's eight hours and very expensive - we'd rather go via Cairnryan (only two hours) but I can not find out when it will be possible to get into Scotland to do so. So we are keeping our options open till the last minute (or week, anyway). We were originally planning a nice two-week holiday there with the wedding included, and it would be nice to be able to salvage some elements of the plan if possible.
I was surprised at the ferry price when I looked earlier for that cost I could go to Europe and drive to southern Italy and back.

Off to France late August when schools are back. A lazy 3 week drive thru' France down toward Northern Spain and back from Santander. Campsites here in July and August rammed and stupidly expensive (wild camping maybe for 1/2 nights not too far from home?). Just can't wait to get out of this country.

Cairnryan to larne is the best if you are up north, :thumb

We are down south, but going up to Scotland would be part of the holiday.

Just looked £360 return but its a 500 mile round trip from here.
Makes no sense if you are already in merseyside but for others, 1 night
in the lakes and 1 more before the short ferry.
Only interesting for those who have a bit of time.

I will be staying put doing my bit for the pandemic! Trying to go to a campsite or anywhere on 4th July will be ridiculous! I live in Suffolk on the coast and the amount of new people completely ruining the place is unbelievable!

We will be on our way back from Switzerland on the 4th July having thoroughly enjoyed 10 days of sun, rain, thunder, warmth, mountains, wild camping, mountain biking and above all, being away from the nonsense in . We were ready to 14 day isolate when we got home but Now highly unlikely to be required.
We are probably the Cali pioneers of post C19 interstellar travel. We have found the natives totally friendly and welcoming and no problems whatsoever. They are all out in their Calis and Big Whites but completely sensible about SD ETC.
Let me encourage anyone who is hesitant about coming out here. In All they have been is friendly and welcoming so do not hold back. Probably no more costly than staying in Blighty and far more space and comfort! They are far less up tight than the UK has been about C19. It is great being in a ‘normal’ environment.

Wherever there is a big old high pressure system. That's the USP of the Cali - flexibility.

I will be sat at home with a beer in the garden listening to all the travel reports of you lot in hours and hours of tailbacks, you will then be arriving at campsites to HELL and very little social distancing in the toilet/shower blocks. Apart from those of you that will be pooing in a tent next to your van
Meldrew, Victor Meldrew

We will be on our way back from Switzerland on the 4th July having thoroughly enjoyed 10 days of sun, rain, thunder, warmth, mountains, wild camping, mountain biking and above all, being away from the nonsense in . We were ready to 14 day isolate when we got home but Now highly unlikely to be required.
We are probably the Cali pioneers of post C19 interstellar travel. We have found the natives totally friendly and welcoming and no problems whatsoever. They are all out in their Calis and Big Whites but completely sensible about SD ETC.
Let me encourage anyone who is hesitant about coming out here. In All they have been is friendly and welcoming so do not hold back. Probably no more costly than staying in Blighty and far more space and comfort! They are far less up tight than the UK has been about C19. It is great being in a ‘normal’ environment.
Great to hear some common sense being applied.

Back