Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Watch the small print when booking sites, unless you definitely can predict that C-19 won't disrupt things!

GraemeSmith

GraemeSmith

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Several months ago we booked a few days at Masons Campsite near Grassington in Yorkshire in early July. Good news of course is that the camping is now allowed, however our plans were disrupted by the rescheduling of a small hospital visit for our daughter that means we now need to stay in 14 days of social isolation that coincides with our holiday plans.

"No problem", we thought, "we'll just re-schedule the trip a few weeks later". Wrong! Mason's has a policy of pre-payment, and took our final payment in early June of £58. So I contacted them, explained the situation and asked if it we could come in August rather than July. The answer was "NO", and they even emailed me their terms and conditions that state that no changes are possible within 28 days of the visit date. They described our 14 day isolation period prior to the hospital visit as our "disinclination to travel".

They kindly offered to cancel, but said that no rescheduling or refund was possible! Not helpful really.

I was really expecting that given these unusual times that some flexibility would be given and that pre-COVID T's & C's would not be fully relevant. I know that these small business are desperate for income, and that's one of the reasons that we were heading into Yorkshire and onto these smaller sites. However we are equally attached to our cash, and now we will have to pay out again when we visit Yorkshire (another site) in August.

I guess the moral of the story is that if there's no flexibility at all in cancellations or rescheduling due to COVID-19 knock-on issues, then don't pay in advance unless you definitely know that C-19 won't impact you or that the rules won't change? Seems wrong doesn't it!

Surely, having flexible - and fair - policies would encourage more people to book in times of uncertainty.

Anyway folks - check the T's and C's before you book, and be aware what you are committing to and how much flexibility to expect if things change for you.

I can see how that would leave a nasty taste in your mouth.

I would understand it if they couldn't fill your pitch but considering the frenzy of people trying to book camping sites at the moment I find it hard to believe they would lose out on a booking by refunding you.

Won't be going there in a hurry!

Hope things are ok with your daughter and that you enjoy your camping when you get away (at another site).

Agree. They should have been more understanding. I’m sure they could have re-sold your spot. Masons is usually fully booked.

It must be tough for a lot of small campsites after losing months of revenue. It’s hard to say what margins places are working to and what their cash flow is like after losing the Easter holidays and early summer trade. Do you have holiday insurance @GraemeSmith that would cover it? I hope your daughter and everyone gets better soon.

It must be tough for a lot of small campsites after losing months of revenue. It’s hard to say what margins places are working to and what their cash flow is like after losing the Easter holidays and early summer trade. Do you have holiday insurance @GraemeSmith that would cover it? I hope your daughter and everyone gets better soon.

Thanks. Tough times for everyone I suppose. I've made my protestations, and am going to move on. The experience was just really annoying. I won't be claiming on insurance - I think that just perpetuates things for everyone :).

From another point of view it all depends on when the booking was made and what the Ts & Cs were at the time. Many campsites allow changes upto a certain time before the holiday and thereafter you are liable for the full fee. The Op wasn't aware of the Pandemic restrictions beforehand nor were the Campsite. I'm sure bookings made now will have different Ts & Cs to accommodate such factors. If the Campsite hadn't been able to open then they would have had to give a full refund. I know it may seem harsh but both sides sign upto these Ts & Cs.
The Campsite in question probably have amended their Ts & Cs now and if not then they should have in order to compete with others.

Back