Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop roof in bad weather

Don’t park under trees in a storm, once had half an oak tree blow down in the middle of the night and miss us by 20 foot !

We kept the roof up lol

Don’t park under trees in a storm, once had half an oak tree blow down in the middle of the night and miss us by 20 foot !

We kept the roof up lol
Oh my gosh!! Such a balance!!! Sheltered / no trees! Glad you escaped!

We are camped near Utrecht in the Netherlands. Last evening we had the most violent hour’s storm I can recall. Continuous lightning, extreme winds and torrential rain. Four caravan awnings on the site are in shreds this morning. The pop top stayed up and to all intents and purposes didn’t notice it. No water penetration either. I did run the engine for two minutes and re-raise it to make sure it was tight beforehand. We did take the awning in. It had tie-downs but I just didn’t fancy it as it was facing the direction the storm was coming from.

The pop-top impressed us greatly and gave us much confidence for the future.

Currently in Sheildaig, Thursday night roof up, gusts of 52mph, noisy yes, roof was fine...

We've just spent the week on a cliff top with 53kph winds from storm kyle knocking us about and the roof stayed up unscathed. Our nerves were shredded but our kids who were actually sleeping in the pop top were totally fine and slept through it without a murmur. We did take the precaution of winding in the awning which had survived a few windy nights (with storm ties and the comfort panels) before the worst of it hit and we did draw the line at another night of buffeting and headed home early mind you!

We have put it down once in strong gusting winds but only due to the noise of the bellow flapping in and out kept waking me up

We've slept in the roof bed in pretty ferocious winds, no problem - as long as the back is pointing into the wind we're fine. But in a very windy Skye a couple of years ago the wind direction changed in the night & we had an unpleasant mental image of ourselves clutching hold of the duvet after the roof had blown off, so we very carefully lowered the roof in the middle of the night & slept downstairs.
We have on a few occasions kept the roof down if very strong winds were coming, but it's not as comfortable as sleeping up top so best avoided.

Has anyone actually ever had their roof blown off? Come on, don't be shy, all friends here.

Stayed in the Cali for the past 8 nights including Thursday night at Godrevy which was exposed to 60mph gusts and a steady 50mph wind, but little in the way of rain. Very noisy but ultimately we had little choice to carry on as there were four of us (2 adults + 2 children) and I am pleased to say the van cam through all it with flying colours.

I was a little concerned thinking that my replacement bellows was fitted at a VW dealer in the UK rather than at the factory and wondered if this may be an issue, but am happy to report it stood up to the test.

Seven years ago our first night camping in the Cali on a camp site 75mph hour winds....understandably nervous but cosied up with dig and daughter didn’t risk it. Biblical type storm so sleeping not on even if you were in a house!

Hello Laurao,

There is bad weather and yes there is --- bad weather.

We had a few nights with quite strong winds and many nights with lots of rain. So far we had no problems leaving the roof up. Last year I can remember a night in Mayo I thought the wind is so strong we might need to bring the roof down, but decided to leave it up. It seems that the canvas is quite resilient and keeps the rain out.

Have I said that, if there is really bad weather then we will decide to lower the roof. Can I say how strong the wind has to be - no. It is a judgement call.

The awning is quite good to protect against rain. We equally used the awning for shade as for shelter against rain. In opposite to the roof I am a wee bit more concerned with the awing and wind. I got special holders from the forum shop to secure the awning against wind. But if it is really strong wind I prefer to put the awning in.

We / I had some nights in the camper which was windy, rainy and cold and, within reason, I felt quite well in the camper (certainly better than in a tent). Have I said all that, we are only two. So in the worst case we can put down the roof and sleep downstairs, switch on the heating and enjoy the special feeling and place in the California.

Happy California.
Eberhard

Nice to hear you left yours up. We encountered a bit of a storm at Durness a couple of years ago. Dropped the roof and trapped the canvas - no real damage, but perhaps next time leave it up for a bit longer. It appears to be more resilient than I am.

Seven years ago our first night camping in the Cali on a camp site 75mph hour winds....understandably nervous but cosied up with dig and daughter didn’t risk it. Biblical type storm so sleeping not on even if you were in a house!

A real baptism of fire, it being a Biblical storm.

Stayed in the Cali for the past 8 nights including Thursday night at Godrevy which was exposed to 60mph gusts and a steady 50mph wind, but little in the way of rain. Very noisy but ultimately we had little choice to carry on as there were four of us (2 adults + 2 children) and I am pleased to say the van cam through all it with flying colours.

I was a little concerned thinking that my replacement bellows was fitted at a VW dealer in the UK rather than at the factory and wondered if this may be an issue, but am happy to report it stood up to the test.
Couple of Calis there during the week. We left Thursday morning but had a great time - lovely area.

Thanks everyone! Some great tips, many thanks.

But still what is the risk with wind?! The van blowing over or the roof getting wrecked or is it just that it’s a bit scary and impossible to sleep? We’ve done some pretty dodgy weather in a tent, but there’s nothing really that can go that wrong in a tent... you get a little soggy...
I have an aftermarket awning and it did blow over the van last year in heavy winds. I now make sure the poles are pegged at the bottom, I attach guide ropes and most importantly hang some sandbags over the tip of the poles. Fortunately no damage to the van and we were able to repair the awning at a reasonable price

We have an Isotop, it’s more expensive but in our opinion the better choice. Once fitted you leave it on, it’s great at insulating & darkening the roof space.
Some use an external cover but you have to put on & take off each time. If it’s wet when moving on you have to travel with it wet in the van. Lots of discussion on the merits of both in previous threads.
Hi Beagle,
some queries if you don’t mind pls:
re isotop. How is fitted? Velcro? Does it remain in situ? What’s the brand? I guess it’s worth it?

cheers
Paul

40mph eindd last night here on North Ronaldsay in the Orkneys started 2 am. Used two huge rocks to tie the awning down. No damage but it was a close call, the rocks moved a little. Any more and we would have moved.

We have just returned from the Nicholaston Farm site (which is great) on the Gower where winds were over 40mph for 3 days and over 60mph on Thursday night. The Vango Kela 3 driveaway awning survived all of that, but needed the storm straps over the roof of the van, so the roof had to be down. This relieved the pressure on the joining strip which I don't think would have taken the strain. Up 4 times on Thursday night to check straps and bang pegs back in. I did help a caravanner whose awning had been destroyed and he and his wife were trying to disengage it from the caravan and on Friday morning, apparently there was only 1 tent still standing in the camping field (I assume it wasn't the only one to start with). There was a Beach on site as well and his roof was up throughout because, as the guy explained, it was where the kids slept! There was another van with a roof up on the first night but they left because their kids were so scared. Someone asked last week in a thread, why would people want to go to France or Spain or anywhere else than the UK. I'll tell you. Generally warmer, longer evenings to sit out, usually less traffic and the wine and beer is so cheap. Craster next month so I am hoping to be proved wrong, and the weather will be sunny and warm!

Hello Laurao,

There is bad weather and yes there is --- bad weather.

We had a few nights with quite strong winds and many nights with lots of rain. So far we had no problems leaving the roof up. Last year I can remember a night in Mayo I thought the wind is so strong we might need to bring the roof down, but decided to leave it up. It seems that the canvas is quite resilient and keeps the rain out.

Have I said that, if there is really bad weather then we will decide to lower the roof. Can I say how strong the wind has to be - no. It is a judgement call.

The awning is quite good to protect against rain. We equally used the awning for shade as for shelter against rain. In opposite to the roof I am a wee bit more concerned with the awing and wind. I got special holders from the forum shop to secure the awning against wind. But if it is really strong wind I prefer to put the awning in.

We / I had some nights in the camper which was windy, rainy and cold and, within reason, I felt quite well in the camper (certainly better than in a tent). Have I said all that, we are only two. So in the worst case we can put down the roof and sleep downstairs, switch on the heating and enjoy the special feeling and place in the California.

Happy California.
Eberhard
hi Eberhard,

my awning was ripped from my Cali when I left it out one night when I went to sleep. The wind started during the night (the weather was good when we went to bed) and damaged the awning so much I was worried about driving with it only half attached the following day. Just for info. My policy now is to wind the awning in at night and reopen it in the morning,

best,

Eliot

Hi Beagle,
some queries if you don’t mind pls:
re isotop. How is fitted? Velcro? Does it remain in situ? What’s the brand? I guess it’s worth it?

cheers
Paul
Brandrup, we bought from club shop. The Velcro is supplied with it, it’s a bit fiddly to attach but once it’s done you don’t remove it. Makes a huge Improvement to the warmth and darkness in the pop top.

Brandrup, we bought from club shop. The Velcro is supplied with it, it’s a bit fiddly to attach but once it’s done you don’t remove it. Makes a huge Improvement to the warmth and darkness in the pop top.
Thanks a lot

We have just returned from the Nicholaston Farm site (which is great) on the Gower where winds were over 40mph for 3 days and over 60mph on Thursday night. The Vango Kela 3 driveaway awning survived all of that, but needed the storm straps over the roof of the van, so the roof had to be down. This relieved the pressure on the joining strip which I don't think would have taken the strain. Up 4 times on Thursday night to check straps and bang pegs back in. I did help a caravanner whose awning had been destroyed and he and his wife were trying to disengage it from the caravan and on Friday morning, apparently there was only 1 tent still standing in the camping field (I assume it wasn't the only one to start with). There was a Beach on site as well and his roof was up throughout because, as the guy explained, it was where the kids slept! There was another van with a roof up on the first night but they left because their kids were so scared. Someone asked last week in a thread, why would people want to go to France or Spain or anywhere else than the UK. I'll tell you. Generally warmer, longer evenings to sit out, usually less traffic and the wine and beer is so cheap. Craster next month so I am hoping to be proved wrong, and the weather will be sunny and warm!

We are there as we speak, and had an interesting Monday and Tuesday night. Left the roof down and just didn’t bother with the awning, especially on advice from the staff here. Some tents in a horrendous mess on Tuesday with many opting to sleep in cars and recover what was left of tent the next day. A great site I should add with excellent staff and facilities.....and beach access.

Just came back from 3 nights in the Cotswolds. There were a large number of damaged tents in the bins on Monday and Tuesday.

We had children up top but put on the Topper. All seemed OK and the children had a good night's sleep. Not surprising as they were very tired.

I was more worried about losing the Quechua MSH but being inflatable it just flexed with the wind.

Alan