Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Applying velcro to the inside of the pop-top canvas

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've had a Comfortz inner topper for years now, and it's been great. However, the plasticard thingy's which hold up the liner are all now falling out of the gaps in the roof lining - through age - and the topper is sagging all of the way round, which is not so good.

I thought that the easiest way to solve this is to attach stick-on velcro at intervals to the pop top canvas inner, and then simply affix the inner to them. Just wondering whether sticking velcro to the canvas is likely to invite leaks in the rain - you know like touching the canvas when it rains. Any views gratefully received? Thanks.

I have used Velcro to re-attach parts of my sagging Brandrup pop-top several times and on each occasion it fell off again after a day or two. No idea whether it affects the waterproof-ness as it doesn’t stick on successfully.

If the plastic are bits are falling out, stick some Velcro on them use the hooked pieces rather than the loop side, it makes the plastic thicker and the Velcro grips the headlining.

I have used Velcro to re-attach parts of my sagging Brandrup pop-top several times and on each occasion it fell off again after a day or two. No idea whether it affects the waterproof-ness as it doesn’t stick on successfully.
Brandrup sell fitting kits if it’s just those bits that have failed over time:

IMG_4037.png

Andy - That's precisely what I did, but they're still falling out. Maybe because the gap in the lining is larger than it was - I don't really know. I guess there's nothing lost to try and stick the velcro directly to the pop-top fabric, but I assume it will just fall off as the WEHILL has found. I'll report back.

Our posts crossed Ch1pbutty. Not sure if the brandrup fittings are compatible with the Comfortz system, but will try and find out. Thanks.

Just bumping this. Can anyone comment on whether the Brandrup fitting kit can be made to work with the Comfortz internal liner? They're £61 which I don't mind paying if it can be made to work. The Comfortz liner has sewn in velcro all around the top and bottom seams, and given that it's really baggy anyway I'm hoping it can be pulled into the corners.

Have you reached out to the club shop for advice. They are super helpful.

Good point. I know a man who may be able to help ;)