Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop-up bed in windy conditions

Just back from the Outer Hebrides yesterday - a trip from Lewis to Barra mostly on the breezy west coast. What a stunning place to visit! At this time of year it's very easy to find places to camp wild or semi-wild right beside the sea and we also stayed at a couple of nice commercial sites when we wanted hot showers. Amidst the lovely sunny, calm days there were a few very windy nights and we slept upstairs, with the tail of the van pointing into the gale. Yes, it was noisy, but after a day in the fresh air we were able to get several hours sleep. Maybe it would have been different if the wind direction had shifted much. In 250+ nights in the Cali since March 2014 the only time we have slept with the roof down was a night kerb-parked in the middle of a Spanish town where we didn't want to be obvious. It's a tough roof!
!P1120163.JPG P1120346.JPG

In the context of rough weather isn't the Cali's heater a wonderful thing too! Friends and acquaintances with Transporter conversions never seem to have one and I don't think their insulation is as good. They have a glum time when it's cold and rainy. The more I use our Cali in different conditions the more impressed I am with it and the more I love it! Off to France and Spain next week.

Back