• Only if heavy rain predicted

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Always

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters
slowcoach65

slowcoach65

VIP Member
I wonder if some who know's what they're doing could set up a poll for me? The question is; Do you use a Pop-up roof cover? The possible answers being 1. Never, 2. Only if heavy rain predicted and 3. Always. And if you're feeling really adventurous, a supplementary question; What type of cover do you have? 1. None, 2. Fabric and 3. Foil.

I am intrigued to know what people are doing. I now have both foil(Pucer) and a fabric (Kyam) covers due to my indecision!

Hope someone can help?

Andy

Can I suggest another question to be "when it is a bit chilly outside"

I agree with CaliforniaDan - we use our Mutze when its cold as well as when its wet - we've slept up top in temperatures of -5C.

We are also the same. Not quite as clear cut as always/never. We tend to put the roof on if it is cold and/or wet AND we are staying for a number of days.

If it is wet but likely to have warm dry spells AND we are staying for a few days then we probably won't bother putting it on.

The main thing being that when I park the van up after use that I want the bellows to be dry.

I've also had a pucer (used it once, sold it. Nothing wrong with it, I just found the Vanorak to be much better) a Vanorak (good piece of kit but I wanted something that packed smaller; my old one is still in regular use by another forum user I believe) and ended up with a Mutze.

The Mutze packs up nice and small but it is quite a heavy material - and I have noticed that when it is very windy, if the roof isn't extremely clean then there can be some evidence of rubbing around the outside of the roof panel.

What I want to try next is a really lite weight goretex type thing that'll keep the wind out, rain off pack up really, really small, dry almost instantly etc...! (I don't ask for much...)

I found the mutze was ok but as mark said a bit flappy in the wind
I now use one of nick's calitoppers as that problem has been solved with a series of bungee straps along the length and the front and back making it fit better.

Pucer when cold and/or wet. Has proved itself in very severe conditions, easy to fit, can still use roof bars, fairly cheap.

The bellows really aren't up to the job in anything but pleasant weather. We once left the cover off when it looked dry; it rained heavily, our daughter got soaked. TBH that and the bubbling paint issue are two major gripes of mine with the California.

Brickwerks foil cover on our T4. Use it most of the time.

Keeps the van warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer. Hides 20 odd years of stains on the pop top fabric...

Only downside, the van is darker in the mornings so I oversleep!
dan

Californiaman. Fabric suggestion for roof cover - Ripstop Nylon. This is what hot air balloons are made of. It’s very light - flexible- packs up small - water just runs off it - doesn’t absorb water as it’s nylon - loads of colours available, but not breathable like Gortex, sorry!

If it sounds of interest, I could put in contact with a very helpful guy who could discuss the feasibility of making one.

Big thanks for setting up the poll and for all the comments. I shall watch the thread to see how the votes pan out.

Andy

Hi All

Any chance of someone experienced listing the various makes of roof cover with fabric type & cost so members considering one of these can get an idea of costs?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Used our vanarack loads, 5 times this year so far. Kids sleep up-top.
Love it. Thanks to Californiaman. :thumb
Mostly cold/wet conditions. Takes 5mins.
If its wet packing up I either hang it in the garage or even over dinning table, drys quick enough.

We also use our vanarak for both cold and wet conditions.
Ours has shrunk a bit though, to the extent that if it shrinks any more it's going to become unusable

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

My vanorak was never a great fit from day one I find nick's Cali-topper much easier to put on
And takes up half the space once folded down :thumb

Mutze has been brilliant! Mostly use it since you can never predict the rain. Never had flapping problems, though I could see how that would happen. Had it for over 3 years and not any signs of wear. Helps keep warm in the cold and the silver colour reflects the sun to keep cool in the heat. Packs up small even when wet.

It would be great not to have to use anything since it is one more thing to put up and take down [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Barryjm said:
Mutze has been brilliant! Mostly use it since you can never predict the rain. Never had flapping problems, though I could see how that would happen. Had it for over 3 years and not any signs of wear. Helps keep warm in the cold and the silver colour reflects the sun to keep cool in the heat. Packs up small even when wet.

It would be great not to have to use anything since it is one more thing to put up and take down [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mutze for me, all the way.

Same here, 4 years on and I wouldn't be without it. Had it it gale force winds and rain in Bamborough and 30 degree heat and sun in France... works well in both situations

Always put it on... takes less than 5 minutes, quicker to take off, but I guess we are well practiced ;)

Never had flapping or chaffing (at least on the roof ;) )... the bungee that comes with it stops this.

Still looks as good as it did 4 years ago.

Rgds
M

KernowLad said:
Pucer when cold and/or wet. Has proved itself in very severe conditions, easy to fit, can still use roof bars, fairly cheap.

The bellows really aren't up to the job in anything but pleasant weather. We once left the cover off when it looked dry; it rained heavily, our daughter got soaked. TBH that and the bubbling paint issue are two major gripes of mine with the California.

+1 for us.

Having got our Cali last November the Pucer was the first thing we purchased and we've used it on every trip so far due to the wet or cold weather.

Our last trip a few weeks back we probably didn't need it as it was warm and dry! We'll probably use it when conditions dictate.

None of the five Calis (all roof up) I just saw had a roof cover! Brave in these temperatures...

Part way through a week in Woodhall Spa and I am now a convert to the Pucer cover :D It's easy to put on and take off, keeps the canvas clean and dry and me warm.

Andy

We use a Vanarak if it is cold or wet , We have never had a problem with the fit,and consider it to be a quality product, hope this helps .Mario+Jill.

Back