Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop up roof not opening 2024 Cali

C

Clalfys

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Our pop up roof is not opening. No motor noise and screen says that it is blocked or jammed please check.
AA man through VW assist has looked at it and has spoken to VW but still no joy. Apparently this is a problem which they have never come across before.
It needs to be checked at a dealership but the one local to us can’t even look at until the end of August! That would be longer to wait than the time we’ve owed it!
We bought a California in preference to a conversion so that all elements were covered by VW.
Is this typical of VW service experienced by others?
Are there any knowledgeable people out there who can assist?
Thanks

I thought VW assist could get priority booking for the workshop.

Our pop up roof is not opening. No motor noise and screen says that it is blocked or jammed please check.
AA man through VW assist has looked at it and has spoken to VW but still no joy. Apparently this is a problem which they have never come across before.
It needs to be checked at a dealership but the one local to us can’t even look at until the end of August! That would be longer to wait than the time we’ve owed it!
We bought a California in preference to a conversion so that all elements were covered by VW.
Thanks
which part of the country are you in
what about a trip away combined with visit to another dealer

A couple of ideas after looking at this post :

Have you tried to raise the roof with the engine running?

Try removing fuses 5,6,7 and 8 from the fuse box below/to the right of the steering wheel. Wait a few seconds then replace them all. Then try the roof again. Apparently, removing the fuses reboots the control panel.

Either suggestion may not work but worth a try.

I would read the manual and attempt any manual override method suggested to see if you can open/close that way and then try electric opening again.

Thanks
hi i would pull this fuse wait for a few minutes the put back it will shut down your display then re start it work for me a few years ago

vw fuse.jpg

Resetting j608 (Post 4) is worth a shot.

Resetting the control panel (post 6) is worth a shot.

Next I'd try the fuse for the roof SH13 under the front left seat same as post 6.

Next you could try swapping the two relays. J238 and J239 both under the front left seat.

The diagram with regard to SH13 is a little confusing so I might have misunderstood the fuse's purpose. But worth a check anyway.

If you are not prepared to get your hands dirty please say so, it will save people providing more of this advice.

Waiting until late August is unacceptable. I would immediately raise a case with VW Customer Services stating that you cannot use the vehicle for its intended purpose through the height of the camping season. From past experience they are very likely to offer you a ‘gesture of goodwill’ by way of compensation. They have been very good to me on a couple of occasions. Usually a credit note to use at a VW Van Centre for accessories or servicing. Good luck.

A couple of ideas after looking at this post :

Have you tried to raise the roof with the engine running?

Try removing fuses 5,6,7 and 8 from the fuse box below/to the right of the steering wheel. Wait a few seconds then replace them all. Then try the roof again. Apparently, removing the fuses reboots the control panel.

Either suggestion may not work but worth a try.
Here’s a picture of fuse 5 - 8 location. Worth a try.

IMG_1783.jpeg

On waiting times, it is a long time but doesn't seem out of the ordinary these days sadly. Ours has had the engine management light on since we got it home day one and when I called VW Assistance they weren't interested as it is steady amber and runs fine (they were confident I could continue to drive as normal until I could get it seen to). I called our local Van Centre and it's a six week wait for diagnostics, which is finally happening on Monday.

Our previous car was booked in for diagnostics on a battery issue with about a two month wait (even longer if I'd wanted a courtesy car). It took so long I'd sold the car and bought the Cali before the appointment came around :rolleyes:

5amp fuse under passengers seat, pull and leave 10 seconds, worked for me when poptop would not open.

Thank you for all your replies, we are about to try pulling out that fuse ( we hadn’t tried that)
Apologies for not acknowledging all your advice sooner. My thread was showing no responses!

Taking the fuse out hasn’t worked. So we are going to drive to our nearest dealership and hope they take pity on us!
It is reassuring to know that other Cali owners are out there and ready to help.
Thank you

Did you try pulling all four of the fuses? Positions 5,6,7 & 8?

Taking the fuse out hasn’t worked. So we are going to drive to our nearest dealership and hope they take pity on us!
It is reassuring to know that other Cali owners are out there and ready to help.
Thank you
Did the control panel shut down When you pulled the fuse?

Is rejecting the vehicle an option as it is clearly not fit for purpose and the supplying dealer isn't able to look at it in a reasonable period of time. I'm sure heading back to the dealer, finding the dealer principle, handing him the keys and telling you'll see him in court might suddenly enable a technican to be found?

the over ride only closes a stuck open roof. it won't lift it as the bleed screw dumps the hydro pressure back into the tank.
I would read the manual and attempt any manual override method suggested to see if you can open/close that way and then try electric opening aga

We are at Listers Coventry, they did not supply the vehicle but are the closest dealership. They have had a quick look, nothing obvious.They are being really helpful and have agreed to look at it today.
I will post what happens next.
They think it might be some piece of fabric caught blocking the sensors. The mattress has a single duvet cover on it and we have a Brandrup iso-top attached.
If this is the case we will have to pay because it will be classed as our fault!

They think it might be some piece of fabric caught blocking the sensors. The mattress has a single duvet cover on it and we have a Brandrup iso-top attached.
Fabric wouldn't block the sensors, & I'm really, really struggling to see how anything in the bed area is going to get into contact with the sensors.

i'm
We are at Listers Coventry, they did not supply the vehicle but are the closest dealership. They have had a quick look, nothing obvious.They are being really helpful and have agreed to look at it today.
I will post what happens next.
If this is the case we will have to pay because it will be classed as our fault!
i'm concerned they already don't know what they're talking about. the sensors use the 'hall effect' to 'detect' where the ends of the pistons are inside the rams. however it is possible that a sensor is faulty, though this usually throws up a roof error 1000 fault (T6) .

It might turn out to be something simple like a software update?