Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop-up roof weather resistance?

H

hughnettelfield

As a complete newbie, I'm interested to have any advice on the use of the pop-up roof, especially in high winds. At what wind strength does it become structurally unsound /unusable? By adding a cali-topper, does this help, or are they only about extra water-proofing/insulation? If getting a cali-topper, is there any advice about which one is best? All advice appreciated!

I've used mine (manual beach roof) in winds of about 40- 50mph. I had the van roughly backed into the wind. No problems at all - a bit flappy at times but nothing shocking.

I've done a bit of research (on this site) and decided on a cali-topper before I next camp out in poor weather - but that's just to ensure no water leaks in during rain. I don't want to spoil a good van with mould/mildew/stains.

My only remaining concern is whether the topper will significantly increase condensation as the cali roof bellows has vents which I guess won't work with a topper on. I decided that's the best option available at the moment though.

I’ve got one well worth the money especially with the cold weather. It does seem to feel warmer up top with it on as well great buy. :smile

Hi all,

Obviously I'm very bias on this one :D but one point to add is that the Cali-topper drastically reduces the opportunity for the wind to get under the lip of the roof, stopping it lifting up and damaging it in a high wind situation (there's a joke in there somewhere) :lol: That said - if the winds were really strong, you'd just keep the pop up roof down I guess.

Cheers
Nick

Back