Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta Potti at night

Finlay

Finlay

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
This may be a daft question but where does one put the porta potti at night (if one is using one)? I have visions of it being knocked over if left in the van? Solutions for night time visitations please!

This may be a daft question but where does one put the porta potti at night (if one is using one)? I have visions of it being knocked over if left in the van? Solutions for night time visitations please!
Just behind the passenger seat if RHD. Must be something weird going on if you think that you will knock it over.

Just behind the passenger seat if RHD. Must be something weird going on if you think that you will knock it over.

No question is daft if you don't know the answer Finlay.

We almost always sleep 'upstairs' so the PP just sits on floor of the 'living area' of van at night. We move it there from under the rear shelf when we sort out the van for the evening, and I find it a useful footrest when sitting in the van late evening with a whisky and a book.

If you sleep 'downstairs' it will just fit between the end of the bed and the front seats, on our van anyway.

Like Vagophile I can't quite imagine the use-case where you could knock it over.

We put our porta potti in the bedroom area of the drive-away awning or in the link tunnel

In the T4 Cali some people use drawer slides in the right kitchen cupboard to slide the porta potti in and out. It's a nice solution (not mine), although you 'loose' the cupboard space. But I believe that in the T5 and T6 the downstairs bed partially blocks the right cupboard, so that will only work during the day I guess. Unless you sleep upstairs. If you sleep downstairs, which I conclude you do, we find the easiest place to be just between the front seats and the bed, against the right kitchen cupboard. It fits and doesn't block you from going in and out of the van. It's stable enough.

file.php

No way am I putting the potti in the kitchen cupboard, anyway won’t fit in the later T4 unless as there’s a bottom board about 2” fronting the cupboard you would have to cut off.

Our potti’s In the back until we need it, goes behind the drivers seat when used by the wife, not me...

But this is one area that really bugs me about the T4 and this also applies to the T5 & 6, in the T3 Westi you could have a buddy seat at the side door containing the potti with plenty space to exit past it and open the kitchen doors with the bed opened out, the T3 was nearly same length as the T4 but vastly larger inside due to the rear engine, moving to FWD we lost about 500mm of internal length, what a difference if the VW California was on a LWB like the US version sold by VW built by Winnebago.