Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilet - what to buy

F

Franthevan

Vehicle
N/A
OK, have to bite the bullet and ask a frank question about porta pottis... interested in advice from a female perspective.... My husband and I have young twin boys. We are completely new to camping and have just bought our Cali. We plan to buy some sort of portable loo. Maybe less of an issue for the 3 men in my life but I don't fancy trips across muddy fields in the middle of the night to go to the loo. What do people recommend? Do we buy a port potti or another brand? Where do we buy from? Do we need a pup tent or can we use a couple of wind-breakers that you see on a beach for a bit of privacy (I think I saw this one a campsite recently). Any other advice on the toilet question would be most grateful. Thank you.

Yorkie

Yorkie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We too are newbies. Only one trip under our belt.
We bought a porta poti cube. It fits in the boot under the bed and I carried it into the van where it just fits in the gap when the lower bed is ready for sleeping.

No view on taking it outside. Sorry

Others keep the same one in the RH kitchen cupboard.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Do we buy a port potti or another brand?
We are planning a farewell tour of the European Union between May 2017 and June 2018, visiting 24 out of the 27 other EU countries, plus Switzerland, Norway, Andorra, Monte Carlo, San Marino and Lichtenstein. When we depart our two boys will be ages 2;2 and 3;5.

We plan to buy a pop-a-loo:
https://www.popaloo.co.uk/
and a Fiamma rear door enclosure:
http://www.fiamma.it/en/campervan/fiammastore-354256056/rear-door-enclosure.html

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
If you go to the toilets and portal's thread here you may find the information that you need.

BillyCasper

BillyCasper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
For males, these empty, wide necks and handles.

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=200

Ps. these also have a screwed top, a big advantage over the plastic medical style bed bottles which have a very weak snap on cap. Unfortunately the female adapter is not a good fit for the Waitrose bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
crazygrandad

crazygrandad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Sadly I would need a wider neck.

Trailertrash

Trailertrash

Vehicle
Just browsing
OK, have to bite the bullet and ask a frank question about porta pottis... interested in advice from a female perspective.... My husband and I have young twin boys. We are completely new to camping and have just bought our Cali. We plan to buy some sort of portable loo. Maybe less of an issue for the 3 men in my life but I don't fancy trips across muddy fields in the middle of the night to go to the loo. What do people recommend? Do we buy a port potti or another brand? Where do we buy from? Do we need a pup tent or can we use a couple of wind-breakers that you see on a beach for a bit of privacy (I think I saw this one a campsite recently). Any other advice on the toilet question would be most grateful. Thank you.

With two kidlets you really should stay on sites with facilities....I think.....We have a qube 335 just for night use which is very difficult to spill easy to empty and never pongs.

Roger Boeken

Roger Boeken

calisutra
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Have to admit no.....But my mate once hired an East European cleaner, took here five hours to hoover the house. Turns out she was a Slovak.
hmm..is this still politcal correct ? what if slovak cali owner joins the club? You never who is reading the forum..Let us be carefull..and polite.

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Think he meant 'slow vac' :D

Cwoods1405

Cwoods1405

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a 335 and it's ok. No way I could sit on it mind or use it for a number two! Kneeing down is the order of the day for us sturdy chaps. They fill up fairly quicklyand make sue you open the hatch because bitter experience shows they overflow Prefer that to having a wee in a bag of gravel mind and they are convenient size wise

Kmann

Kmann

Iben & Henrik
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We went for a Porta Potti from the beginning, in the belief that we would need it (particular my wife was eager to get one). We have now had it for 6 month, traveling a lot … newer ever used it. It now stays in the cellar (until i sell it). It takes to much space – well it fits perfect under the kitchen – but really, who wants to keep the toilet with the food? Not me. And it has never been an issue not to be able for her to find a prober WC.

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We went for a Porta Potti from the beginning, in the belief that we would need it (particular my wife was eager to get one). We have now had it for 6 month, traveling a lot … newer ever used it.
You are very lucky to be able to last that long! :D

At our time of life ours certainly gets used and on occasion it's been a lifesaver even when just out for the day.

We keep it in the boot, if we need it during the day I just slide the rear seat right forward (I took the stop out of the rails) and it makes a little cubicle accessed from the sliding door.

I'm trying motors
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Porta Potti Excellence, electric water pump and integrated roll ... I did do a vinyl cover and padded in the gray color, excellent as a leg rest ...