Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Possible Newbie

Mrstu2u

Mrstu2u

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi everyone,
I'm possibly about to jump into the world of VW California ownership, I have signed up here to gather information.

I have placed a deposit on a 2017 Ocean with only 18k on the clock, it must have had most of the options ticked when new and the spec is impressive ( apart from lack of 4motion ) and the price horrendous at nearly £56k.

The California is coming from a VW dealer all be it one that has been given terrible reviews on here, but as I'm only look to buy from them and not use them for future service I don't think I should let that put me off ?

I have read through the buying advise here and am going for a test drive Saturday all being well.

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
we bought a 2017 a couple of months ago. Get a few things done before the deal so you are not going back to them! Make sure that they do a 'habitation check' - this should include gas safety, get the health of all the batteries checked (or replaced as part of the deal) as they don't like to be left on the floor court. Check the heater and the fridge and open and close the roof. TBH they should offer the habitation and battery check anyhow. Be aware that with only 18k on the clock it may need a good 'Italian tuneup'...

Does it have an extended warranty? If so many issues will be covered until 2022. If not, what will the dealer offer you (and Check if you can use another VW dealer for any Warranty issues).
Happy test driving...

edit:
Check the sliding windows aren’t leaking.

Remember to factor in that nee cambelt due at 4 years (around £5-600 for cambelt and pump I believe).

check if roof corrosion recall has been done

check is emissions recall has been done (may still be some of the 8 free adblue refills remaining?)

Thanks for your reply Mick and Alison.

Mick, Great advise I'll make sure they do the habitation check for me, and I'll probably get the chance to do the Italian tune up on the way home, although it's not really that type of vehicle I know it will probably need the cobwebs blowing out of the exhaust !

Alison Hi ! It doesn't have the 5 year extended warranty as far I can tell, I am in talks with them about what warranty will come with the Cali and for what price, Cali's seem to be unique in many ways and warranty is one area that seems to be an area the dealer isn't sure about and is looking into for me, Ideally I would like the full extended warranty but recent experience in this area also says they might not be all they are cracked up to be anyway.

I'll report back with anything that might be useful.

Thanks again.

Welcome @Mrstu2u there will be little chance of getting an extended warranty I would think, and at 3 years old that's about to finish the standard warranty I would guess, so little cover other than 3 months I would suspect.
The £56k price tag you mention, I assume that was the new cost, not what it's up for now.
As others have said, check everything, don't be rushed, there's much to test on a Cali.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

There's a really good set of checklists on the forum site that will help you check through everything before you drive away. You just need to sign up as a VIP member, I think to access them.

Thanks for your reply Mick and Alison.

Mick, Great advise I'll make sure they do the habitation check for me, and I'll probably get the chance to do the Italian tune up on the way home, although it's not really that type of vehicle I know it will probably need the cobwebs blowing out of the exhaust !

Alison Hi ! It doesn't have the 5 year extended warranty as far I can tell, I am in talks with them about what warranty will come with the Cali and for what price, Cali's seem to be unique in many ways and warranty is one area that seems to be an area the dealer isn't sure about and is looking into for me, Ideally I would like the full extended warranty but recent experience in this area also says they might not be all they are cracked up to be anyway.

I'll report back with anything that might be useful.

Thanks again.
If the 5 year warranty was taken out when purchased it is definitely worth it. But the price to extend at end of 3 years for an additional 2 does not seem worth it.
However I got a lot out of mine in year 4 so saved a fortune...

What is the score with the emission check and free AdBlue. Never heard of that before?

Welcome @Mrstu2u there will be little chance of getting an extended warranty I would think, and at 3 years old that's about to finish the standard warranty I would guess, so little cover other than 3 months I would suspect.
The £56k price tag you mention, I assume that was the new cost, not what it's up for now.
As others have said, check everything, don't be rushed, there's much to test on a Cali.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!
Mr T thanks for the reply, the cali is for sale now at just under 56k, I'll try and find out the cost when new but I bet it wasn't shy of 70k it has everything on it, I don't know if it's just Covid but Cali prices seem really strong at the moment, I have seen 2019 models for the same money but without the spec, for me LED lights are a must when you discount everything for sale that doesn't have them the choices are really limited and that then pushes me in the direction of ordering the new 6.1

Welcome!

A lot of money, whatever the spec. Unless you are really desperate to have a Cali right now, order new with 10%+ discount, 5 year warranty and service pack. Much better value IMHO. The silly season for pricing will be over once supply starts coming through and demand tails off in the autumn / winter and you’ll have a 3 - 4 year old van with pending maintenance and expiring warranty versus a new one for similar money.

What is the score with the emission check and free AdBlue. Never heard of that before?
There was a recall, or ‘update’ that many T6’s had during service around 18mths ago (plus / minus, obviously, I’m basing that on when mine was done). As a consequence they need more AdBlue.

Welcome!

A lot of money, whatever the spec. Unless you are really desperate to have a Cali right now, order new with 10%+ discount, 5 year warranty and service pack. Much better value IMHO. The silly season for pricing will be over once supply starts coming through and demand tails off in the autumn / winter and you’ll have a 3 - 4 year old van with pending maintenance and expiring warranty versus a new one for similar money.
Thanks Elmo,
I've been looking at used prices and they are all mad, I guess I was trying to justify the price because of the amazing spec on this one, I've read through the forum for hours and over your message and actually buying new on a Cali makes more sense than on a traditional vehicle it would seem, maybe I need to think more on it and order myself a christmas present instead.

Thanks

Mr T thanks for the reply, the cali is for sale now at just under 56k, I'll try and find out the cost when new but I bet it wasn't shy of 70k it has everything on it, I don't know if it's just Covid but Cali prices seem really strong at the moment, I have seen 2019 models for the same money but without the spec, for me LED lights are a must when you discount everything for sale that doesn't have them the choices are really limited and that then pushes me in the direction of ordering the new 6.1

Pricing seems rather bonkers right now.Just shy of £56k is strong money for a 3 yo Cali, top spec or not. Maybe consider new if you can wait, have a play with the configurator and see what you can get, the T6.1 Ocean is quite well spec’d as standard. Good luck with it!

Pricing seems rather bonkers right now.Just shy of £56k is strong money for a 3 yo Cali, top spec or not. Maybe consider new if you can wait, have a play with the configurator and see what you can get, the T6.1 Ocean is quite well spec’d as standard. Good luck with it!
Mr T I'm on the configurator right now, thanks all for advise

Found the van you are looking at, I paid almost £10K less for a similar van, but with additional options such as alcantara/upgraded sound/18s, a couple of weeks ago. Admittedly that was a private sale, my van a touch newer and a bit more mileagy. In terms of the specs, the list provided looks to be the standard (high) spec but it does appear to have ACC which isn’t listed.

Values are all over the place at the moment on the secondhand market, a couple of mates in the trade thought I was bonkers for paying over top book retail (£43.5K for 32,000 miles) for a private sale.

Hey Stu - didn't realise that 56K was the asking - paid at leat 10k less than that a couple of months ago - so take your time - let the kids go back to school...

Found the van you are looking at, I paid almost £10K less for a similar van, but with additional options such as alcantara/upgraded sound/18s, a couple of weeks ago. Admittedly that was a private sale, my van a touch newer and a bit more mileagy. In terms of the specs, the list provided looks to be the standard (high) spec but it does appear to have ACC which isn’t listed.

Values are all over the place at the moment on the secondhand market, a couple of mates in the trade thought I was bonkers for paying over top book retail (£43.5K for 32,000 miles) for a private sale.

Many thanks this is really helpful.

Hey Stu - didn't realise that 56K was the asking - paid at leat 10k less than that a couple of months ago - so take your time - let the kids go back to school...

Thanks I've not agreed on a price so this helps a lot as well.

Thanks Mick, thats top advice I guess there is no hurry is there.

I have to say a huge thanks, such great advice and genuine help not like a normal forum at all !

Thanks all

@Mrstu2u

Excuse me asking something if already answered but I am on my way out to dinner and only caught sight of this ....

"Not 4 mo...."

Were you looking for 4mo?

Hi GrannyJen,

My Ideal would be a 4motion yes, I have had vw transporter syncro and 4motion transporter vans and always found the 4motion a very useful aspect of the vehicle.