Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Premium diesel - more MPG?

You won't necessarily get more power or better mpg; but I'm in little doubt based on discussions with a late friend in the technical side of the industry that these synthetic fuels will deposit less crud on the injectors and elsewhere, because they don't contain much, if any.

One of the reasons you would not see an immediate difference in mpg going from V-Power to ordinary diesel, or vice versa, even if there were one, is that injector fouling builds up over time and is not going to be removed by a few tanks of V-power - try a Forte treatment or similar for that.

Conventional distilled diesel is a very variable product, and tends to leave deposits. As stated, it should all meet EN590, but that doesn't mean there is no difference - I dare say luncheon meat complies with food standards but I'm not going to eat it.

Having just fitted a new variable vain turbo to my 2006 130ps Cali with 60000 miles due to sticking vains and constant limp mode when towing I will run it on V-power, I only use it for leisure so the extra cost per litre is irrelevant,

I for one like some evidence before I take costly decisions and the internet is a great tool for finding out facts, information, nay even research that can be taken into account. Lots of sweeping statements can be made usually on the basis of limited (i.e. individual) observation. On their on own they add up to little more than anecdotes. Then add in alleged links between events and actions - causation and all kinds of myths arise. There is little causal evidence that using these fuels on their own have any other effect than making vast profits for the oil companies and HM Government.

Sticking vanes, EGR valves, better mpg can all be caused by a whole host of other factors such as the weather, driving conditions, vehicle usage patterns, poor design, poor maintenance, variability in construction (they are built by fallible human beings after all) and so on. One only has to observe the recent controversies over the declared mpg figures for new vehicles to see how complex real world vehicle performance is to manage. So straight line correlations between things like premium fuels and vehicle behaviour are just anecdotes.

Back