Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Prewiring for tow bar

Betty67

Betty67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Apart from contacting dealer, how can i see easerly if my van has prewiring for tow-bar?
Should there be a connector inside and if so where?

You should have 1D7 in the list of PR numbers on the sticker under the dash or in the front of the service book.

Tow bar Prep should include the wiring loom and module under the left front seat, the module should also be ready coded into the vehicle electrics.

Our new Cali has tow bar prep, we would love one fitted but worried about fitters damaging the interior to gain access to electrics

Our main issue is that we are in our late 60's and our plane was to buy an Eriba to tow but having been now told that the combined weight would take the units over 3500kg I would have a problem at 70 :(

Our new Cali has tow bar prep, we would love one fitted but worried about fitters damaging the interior to gain access to electrics
If towbar prep is fitted then the socket is taped to the inside of the body panel where the Mains and Water tank fittings are. Just the rear wardrobe door needs to be opened. No internal fittings have to be removed.

You can't even tow this with a B license.
1598170155565.png
Even for this trailer (750kg), I need a BE license, which I don't have.

But it's perfectly legal to drive this combination with a B license:
1598170246741.png

Where is the logic?

If towbar prep is fitted then the socket is taped to the inside of the body panel where the Mains and Water tank fittings are. Just the rear wardrobe door needs to be opened. No internal fittings have to be removed.
Oh thanks for that, I had heard that parts of the internal fittings needed to be removed

I have granddad rights where I can drive / tow over 3500kg but at 70 have to submit health check I believe
And you will doubt your health at 70?
What tests would you have to pass? Eyes, hearing?, reflexes? I don't know.
I think there are enough people over 70 still driving 3500 kg +. You think they are all in better health than you will be?
I would only worry if I would fail the test. For now, just enjoy today, and don't worry about tomorrow.

Our main issue is that we are in our late 60's and our plane was to buy an Eriba to tow but having been now told that the combined weight would take the units over 3500kg I would have a problem at 70 :(

Are you sure? I have seen lots of debate about this. Motor homes over 3500kg, yes, but lots of drivers affected by this complain that a car/caravan combo can significantly exceed this and no special licence requirements for towing (if you have grandfather rights).
In any event you can obtain your medical through one of the online medical services for about £40, assuming that you are a normal, healthy 70 year old.
Edit: typed during intervening posts.

Yes I am fit and healthy but worry about investing in the Eriba then to have a issue if things change with rules etc

Oh thanks for that, I had heard that parts of the internal fittings needed to be removed

I have the Towbar pre-wiring and got a Westfalia detachable bar installed last week. Took 2.5hrs and had a great experience at Professional Retrofits near Nuneaton. Chose them based on reviews and it was worth the near 2hr drive. A guy from a garage dropped an identical California off whilst I was there, wouldn’t be surprised if it was a main dealer charging his customer twice the price.

The thing I would say to any potential new purchasers, just get the Towbar when you order from new, the prep feels like wasted money.

I have C1, onto my third 3yr extension, never been a problem.

I have the Towbar pre-wiring and got a Westfalia detachable bar installed last week. Took 2.5hrs and had a great experience at Professional Retrofits near Nuneaton. Chose them based on reviews and it was worth the near 2hr drive. A guy from a garage dropped an identical California off whilst I was there, wouldn’t be surprised if it was a main dealer charging his customer twice the price.

The thing I would say to any potential new purchasers, just get the Towbar when you order from new, the prep feels like wasted money.
Thank you for this, I’ve rang and asked for a price. £600 fitted for a detachable westfalia.
great price over main dealer quote of £850