Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

problem update control panel

FilipBil

FilipBil

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi,

Today I wanted to pick up our GC from the dealer after some repairs. When I arrived there was a problem with the control panel update. No functions could be controlled from the panel anymore. No lighting, no water tank level, no battery voltage ... According to the dealer, the update consists of two parts and the two parts conflict with each other. I am very disappointed, especially that our GC was at the dealer for four days for the repairs. Now they wouldn't have more news about a possible solution until next week. The main switch has already been turned off and back on. But the problem remained. Anyone have a suggestion?

Silly suggestion, have you tried charging on hook up at home? My T6 came back with dead batteries after some work done.
If it’s still at the dealer then maybe they need to put it on hook up (most don’t).

Silly suggestion, have you tried charging on hook up at home? My T6 came back with dead batteries after some work done.
If it’s still at the dealer then maybe they need to put it on hook up (most don’t).
the screen lights up, I can only select nothing, only the language can be changed ...

Hi,

Today I wanted to pick up our GC from the dealer after some repairs. When I arrived there was a problem with the control panel update. No functions could be controlled from the panel anymore. No lighting, no water tank level, no battery voltage ... According to the dealer, the update consists of two parts and the two parts conflict with each other. I am very disappointed, especially that our GC was at the dealer for four days for the repairs. Now they wouldn't have more news about a possible solution until next week. The main switch has already been turned off and back on. But the problem remained. Anyone have a suggestion?
Hola, cuando compré la primera GC600 tuve el mismo problema. Conseguí que me dieran una segunda GC. La primera la tienen en el concesionario de F. Tomé en Madrid y por lo que sé, la han conseguido reparar. Puedes decir en tu concesión de tu ciudad que hablen con ellos para que digan cómo lo han solucionado. O quizá, que pidan otra nueva.

Hi,

hola buenos dias
¿ cual fue la solución ??
tengo el mismo problema
un saludo

Did the dealer find a solution for this? I just had an update today and now nothing works.

We had a similar issue post software update. I think the dealer disconnected both habitation and vehicle batteries for a while - possibly overnight. On reconnecting the issue resolved itself.

Interesting! My GC680 is out of warranty and going to the dealers on Thursday for a software update, due to the battery level on the panel always saying it’s 100% and no draw even when the fridge etc. Is on….they have stipulated that they want it for 2 days, I wonder if it’s due to disconnecting the batteries for a while etc. Thankfully following some confusion on their end with the existing service plan, they have said that they will pay 80% of the software update as a goodwill gesture…….let’s see how it makes out!

Interesting! My GC680 is out of warranty and going to the dealers on Thursday for a software update, due to the battery level on the panel always saying it’s 100% and no draw even when the fridge etc. Is on….they have stipulated that they want it for 2 days, I wonder if it’s due to disconnecting the batteries for a while etc. Thankfully following some confusion on their end with the existing service plan, they have said that they will pay 80% of the software update as a goodwill gesture…….let’s see how it makes out!
I hope they install 100% of the update though!
Do you know what software they are updating?

I hope they install 100% of the update though!
Do you know what software they are updating?
Hi Chris - no, following its recent engine service, I told them that the control panel was not showing the leisure battery %, although it shows it charging when hooked up to electric. They said that it needs a software update and originally said it was part of the service plan. A few weeks later they called to book in the software update and said that it was not part of the service plan, i queried why they originally said it was included and after a couple of more calls etc. They have agreed to conduct the update at 80% discount but nothing else if they find any different issues. I will stress about conducting the full update and ask to see the new software reference on the panel when I pick it up. Do you think that sounds ok?

Hi Chris - no, following its recent engine service, I told them that the control panel was not showing the leisure battery %, although it shows it charging when hooked up to electric. They said that it needs a software update and originally said it was part of the service plan. A few weeks later they called to book in the software update and said that it was not part of the service plan, i queried why they originally said it was included and after a couple of more calls etc. They have agreed to conduct the update at 80% discount but nothing else if they find any different issues. I will stress about conducting the full update and ask to see the new software reference on the panel when I pick it up. Do you think that sounds ok?
Do you know what the control panel software is currently?
Worth checking what they are updating specifically.
I think they have to remove the panel and update it via an SD card in the back of the panel, so a little bit of manual work required.
The kfg can also be updated from what I understand, this is what seems to be fixing step issues. Also this has the information regarding the type and size of leisure battery etc. so wonder if it might be this actually rather than the control panel itself.
So be interested to hear what they are updating. .

Do you know what the control panel software is currently?
Worth checking what they are updating specifically.
I think they have to remove the panel and update it via an SD card in the back of the panel, so a little bit of manual work required.
The kfg can also be updated from what I understand, this is what seems to be fixing step issues. Also this has the information regarding the type and size of leisure battery etc. so wonder if it might be this actually rather than the control panel itself.
So be interested to hear what they are updating. .
Thanks Chris, I’ll ask when I take it in. I am a little sceptical on what they plan to do. To be honest everything else works on the panel - WiFi, water, heating etc. I’ve had no issues with the step (touch wood) since I’ve had it, so there’s part of me hoping this doesn’t open a can of worms…..

Just to follow up On my leisure battery issue! My GC went in to the dealer as planned, they had it for 3 days and couldn’t resolve the issue. They claim that when they called VW U.K. they said it was on the latest software update, which I still question. When I collected it (Scunthorpe VW), it was then that they decided to tell me that they had never worked on the habitation side of a GC…..when I got home the heater and fridge had an error message from where they had been playing around, all reset now and seems to be fine. I have read a post from 2021 on here from a member who had exactly the same problem, including the fast charge button on the dash lighting up as normal when pressed, but not doing anything, this seems to have been resolved with a specific software update. I have sent the member a private message to see if I can find the dealer that was used and give them a call, but from the members location, I think it may be in Scotland. As my GC is out of warranty I really want to steer whichever dealer I take it to next in the right direction…anybody have any recommendations for a dealer that they feel has some knowledge of the GC? I was thinking of Birmingham van centre, that’s 2.5hrs away from me, but I don’t mind travelling and getting myself back if the dealer has half an idea on what they are doing!

Last edited:
Just to follow up On my leisure battery issue! My GC went in to the dealer as planned, they had it for 3 days and couldn’t resolve the issue. They claim that when they called VW U.K. they said it was on the latest software update, which I still question. When I collected it (Scunthorpe VW), it was then that they decided to tell me that they had never worked on the habitation side of a GC…..when I got home the heater and fridge had an error message from where they had been playing around, all reset now and seems to be fine. I have read a post from 2021 on here from a member who had exactly the same problem, including the fast charge button on the dash lighting up as normal when pressed, but not doing anything, this seems to have been resolved with a specific software update. I have sent the member a private message to see if I can find the dealer that was used and give them a call, but from the members location, I think it may be in Scotland. As my GC is out of warranty I really want to steer whichever dealer I take it to next in the right direction…anybody have any recommendations for a dealer that they feel has some knowledge of the GC? I was thinking of Birmingham van centre, that’s 2.5hrs away from me, but I don’t mind travelling and getting myself back if the dealer has half an idea on what he is doing!
I use Peterborough they are ok but not great, to be fair they have sorted fair few issues but wouldn’t recommend for solving something they need to investigate like this. When I had a California we used to take to Leicester for more tech issues as they were very good but that was few years ago.

I use Peterborough they are ok but not great, to be fair they have sorted fair few issues but wouldn’t recommend for solving something they need to investigate like this. When I had a California we used to take to Leicester for more tech issues as they were very good but that was few years ago.
Thank you, I’ll give Leicester a call on Monday, not too far from me (Otherside of Lincoln)

As an example of their lack of knowledge, they said that they also could not get the fridge to work on gas!!!

@GordonH who do you use, seem to recall you reporting some good service from a dealer?
We've found Listers Van Centre in Coventry good with our GC, certainly happy to give kudos to Richard Edwards in the service department there for his excellent customer service - he seems to know the GC and keeps a close eye on things when it goes into the workshop and also seems to have an empathy with campervan owners, it is our little home away from home, not a works van. My understanding is Listers has a technician who is a Grand Cali 'expert' that travels between the Listers dealership to sort out/advise on GC issues.

We've found Listers Van Centre in Coventry good with our GC, certainly happy to give kudos to Richard Edwards in the service department there for his excellent customer service - he seems to know the GC and keeps a close eye on things when it goes into the workshop and also seems to have an empathy with campervan owners, it is our little home away from home, not a works van. My understanding is Listers has a technician who is a Grand Cali 'expert' that travels between the Listers dealership to sort out/advise on GC issues.
Thanks @GordonH here you go @Carryon Cali Camping

As always Gordon, your help and advice is very much appreciated! Looks like I’ll be sending myself to Coventry! Coventry VW will be getting a call on Monday! Thanks again.

I have booked it in with Coventry VW….Earliest they can see it is January 8th!!
So……thought I would close my issue out with an update. As mentioned in my posts above, I was having issues with the alternator not charging the leisure battery and the control panel always saying that the leisure battery was 100% with no draw, regardless of what voltage was being used I.e. fridge etc. I had booked it in with VW Coventry following positive reviews (thanks @GordonH), but the earliest that could see my GC was January…..I took a punt when I heard good customer service feedback on JCT600 VW in Hull, called them and explained the issue and straight away got a warm fuzzy feeling that they knew what they were talking about and they booked me in last week. They had the van for 2 days and did a couple of software updates etc. And hey presto, everything works as it should. The best part (my GC is out of warranty) is that they only charged me for the diagnostic, so all sorted for £99. So from my experience, I can deffo recommend them. It was a bit of a trek for me, but well worth it. They will be my go to garage now, they also had 2 other GC’s they were servicing, so hopefully know what they are doing.

So……thought I would close my issue out with an update. As mentioned in my posts above, I was having issues with the alternator not charging the leisure battery and the control panel always saying that the leisure battery was 100% with no draw, regardless of what voltage was being used I.e. fridge etc. I had booked it in with VW Coventry following positive reviews (thanks @GordonH), but the earliest that could see my GC was January…..I took a punt when I heard good customer service feedback on JCT600 VW in Hull, called them and explained the issue and straight away got a warm fuzzy feeling that they knew what they were talking about and they booked me in last week. They had the van for 2 days and did a couple of software updates etc. And hey presto, everything works as it should. The best part (my GC is out of warranty) is that they only charged me for the diagnostic, so all sorted for £99. So from my experience, I can deffo recommend them. It was a bit of a trek for me, but well worth it. They will be my go to garage now, they also had 2 other GC’s they were servicing, so hopefully know what they are doing.
Hello Carryon
I would like to know which software version was installed now on your control panel and what other interventions were made (if you know) because I just realized that I have always battery level on the control panel indicating 100% !!!

Hello Carryon
I would like to know which software version was installed now on your control panel and what other interventions were made (if you know) because I just realized that I have always battery level on the control panel indicating 100% !!!
Hi - I am sorry, but I am unsure of the update, but VW did say that there was an update on the VW U.K. Technical department that identified the issue that I had. I also was not able to charge my leisure battery via the alternator when driving, because the engine did not think the battery needed charging due to it saying 100% all of the time. I know they also left the battery disconnected for sometime when doing this because I received a call from the Tracker company confirming that the van was not stolen! Interesting was that they also confirmed that my GC was already up to date with the latest software, so this must have been something more specific for my issues. Apologies that I cannot provide and details on the update.

Back