Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Projector

@5i1ver8ack what are your thoughts on the Apeman with respect to picture and sound quality? I assume an external speaker can be attached with a 3.5mm standard cable?

External speaker can be connected via 3.5mm standard cable.... Much better than internal speaker.

Picture quality is "ok" for inside the campervan. But no more than ok. It's not high def enough for "big room" projection. But probably about what might be expected at this price.

@5i1ver8ack what are your thoughts on the Apeman with respect to picture and sound quality? I assume an external speaker can be attached with a 3.5mm standard cable?
I kind of figured "OK" would be the order of the day

I have a nebula capsule, basically a 4 hour battery life, built in android media system and hdmi ports. Will run off usb cable too.
@MattBW how about your Nebula? It's got a lot less reviews on Amazon when compared to the Apeman. The Apeman @5i1ver8ack has however only costs £199.98 when compared to the £367 for the Nebula. The Apeman has significantly more positive reviews too

It works as a small screen projector, in the campervan, on a cold and wet winter evening when enjoying a family evening with popcorn is a highlight. It's perhaps easier for me to keep my family entertained in this way because we don't have a TV at home, so the idea of siting together watching a film on anything other than a laptop is a bit of a novelty.

Will it run Netflix / amazon / iplayer off the internal apps?
Yes it runs any app that you can get on the Google Play store.

I use Youtube, Flixster (Ultraviolet library), Netflix, Amazon prime, Tv Player, Kodi etc etc.

@MattBW how about your Nebula? It's got a lot less reviews on Amazon when compared to the Apeman. The Apeman @5i1ver8ack has however only costs £199.98 when compared to the £367 for the Nebula. The Apeman has significantly more positive reviews too
I have found it very good indeed, size is perfect about the coke can dimensions (fits in cup-holders in the back of my beach). Picture is great, and you don't notice it's not full HD until you blow it up to 100" but often you will be further away at this size so you won't notice then either. It is only 100 lumens so it needs to be dark to use but works well. Battery life is 3 to 4 hours but can be powered from USB. You can also use USB sticks etc via an adapter on battery if you don't have a connection.

Its worth contacting support to get access to the full beta software as that opens up the full play store, so any app is available rather than the limited ones on the default Anker store.

I had vouchers to spend and this seemed perfect and a good way to spend them. I hadn't heard of the apeman at the time.

We've had outdoor films at Camperjam watching predator at 100" and also a Eurovision viewing at the Slimbridge meet. I got a screen made by Nick at the club shop that can velcro onto the Isotop fixings and now I can have a big screen in my poptop too!

My next plan is a screen I can insert into my awning kador strip for a big outdoor screen :D

Thanks for that @MattBW.

I wonder, as it has no horizontal keystone adjustment only vertical, have you tried to project onto the roof canvas like Chili did in his video? Not necessarily from a side shelf but the table perhaps?

Last edited:
Thanks for that @MattBW.

I wonder, as it has no horizontal keystone adjustment only vertical, have you tried to project onto the roof canvas like Chili did in his video? Not necessarily from a side shelf but the table perhaps?
It has auto keystone and on a small tripod you can aim it accurately. Keystone can be done manually too. I do have a screen I can put up there’s yet as I was fitting an isotop first.

I’ll let you know when I have
@MattBW have you got it to work on the screen yet?
I've just bought both the Nebula I and Nebula II. I'll run a side-by-side comparison to see whether the II is worth twice the price!!

I've just bought both the Nebula I and Nebula II. I'll run a side-by-side comparison to see whether the II is worth twice the price!!
What’s the verdict? Nebula 1 or 2?

Just to add to the mix I went for a view sonic as on paper it seemed brightest for less that £300.
No built in apps & needs a proper plug (hook up or inverter) to charge but both android phone & Nintendo switch plug straight in with supplied USBC cable and work really well.
Automatic or manual key-stoning and projects perfectly from the table to either the blind above the kitchen or sliding door.

1569085815456.png

Wow that is dedication :) I will be very interested in hearing how much better the quality is.

I now have the screen that Nick at the club shop made, it has velcro tabs that attach to the isotop fixing points. I am also sorting some kador based velcro tabs for use outside with the awning.

The screen works well but if you dont have a screen, swivelling the front seats and protecting the picture onto the roof (with the inner roof up) looks pretty good too. I had to manually keystone it but it looked surprisingly good.

Had this offer pop up today:

Had this offer pop up today:

Avoid this one at all costs!
Was an Indiegogo scam. Terrible little projector.
I've got a Philips PICOPIX max on preorder instead.

Has anyone got an experience or feedback on this projector...www.properprojector.com
Looks a good price but think if I buy it my super techie other half will be disappointed!

Just to add to the mix I went for a view sonic as on paper it seemed brightest for less that £300.
No built in apps & needs a proper plug (hook up or inverter) to charge but both android phone & Nintendo switch plug straight in with supplied USBC cable and work really well.
Automatic or manual key-stoning and projects perfectly from the table to either the blind above the kitchen or sliding door.

View attachment 50652
An other vote for this one. It’s great and the sound is pretty good but I frequently use a better Bluetooth speaker. Battery life is a great. quality is really good.
We watched Glastonbury on a sheet on the van- it was great fun.

Obviously one needs to consider other campers. However, most campers’ reaction is ‘where can I get one’

Last edited:
Yes it runs any app that you can get on the Google Play store.

I use Youtube, Flixster (Ultraviolet library), Netflix, Amazon prime, Tv Player, Kodi etc etc.

I have found it very good indeed, size is perfect about the coke can dimensions (fits in cup-holders in the back of my beach). Picture is great, and you don't notice it's not full HD until you blow it up to 100" but often you will be further away at this size so you won't notice then either. It is only 100 lumens so it needs to be dark to use but works well. Battery life is 3 to 4 hours but can be powered from USB. You can also use USB sticks etc via an adapter on battery if you don't have a connection.

Its worth contacting support to get access to the full beta software as that opens up the full play store, so any app is available rather than the limited ones on the default Anker store.

I had vouchers to spend and this seemed perfect and a good way to spend them. I hadn't heard of the apeman at the time.

We've had outdoor films at Camperjam watching predator at 100" and also a Eurovision viewing at the Slimbridge meet. I got a screen made by Nick at the club shop that can velcro onto the Isotop fixings and now I can have a big screen in my poptop too!

My next plan is a screen I can insert into my awning kador strip for a big outdoor screen :D

could you link the screen with Velcro straps?

Really pleased with our Anker Nebula Capsule Max. Difficult to compare with others as it is our first projector, but we thought it was excellent.

Really pleased with our Anker Nebula Capsule Max. Difficult to compare with others as it is our first projector, but we thought it was excellent.
Bought yesterday the max version since there was a Deal on Amazon

We purchased a mini ‘smart’ projector from e-bay for around £120. It’s the size of an I-phone , has Bluetooth connectivity, usb, built in battery , onboard apps for whatever, screen mirroring ability & can be controlled via phone app. Usually project onto sliding door blind from sink giving approx 42” screen. We also have a ‘roll-up’ screen but generally don’t use that. Keep projector in the glove box when not in use. We ‘hit spot’ it to our phone 4g data for internet. Have 100gb / month to burn so no issues. If you like to have the capability for media / tv for those rainy days and like gadgets this is definitely worth considering.

We purchased a mini ‘smart’ projector from e-bay for around £120. It’s the size of an I-phone , has Bluetooth connectivity, usb, built in battery , onboard apps for whatever, screen mirroring ability & can be controlled via phone app. Usually project onto sliding door blind from sink giving approx 42” screen. We also have a ‘roll-up’ screen but generally don’t use that. Keep projector in the glove box when not in use. We ‘hit spot’ it to our phone 4g data for internet. Have 100gb / month to burn so no issues. If you like to have the capability for media / tv for those rainy days and like gadgets this is definitely worth considering.
Have you got a link?

Got the capsule and have to test it inside the Cali. Since you cannot adjust zoom have you found the best place to hang or put the projector to see the film on the front side of the bellows?

Got the capsule and have to test it inside the Cali. Since you cannot adjust zoom have you found the best place to hang or put the projector to see the film on the front side of the bellows?
We put our Capsule Max on the hob worktop and project onto a white paper tablecloth which we hang off the roof opening and across the two front seats. We do have to use the manual keystone correction to square up the picture.