Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Prospective California Purchase

I

IntercityYouth

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello there
After 6 years of enjoyable T6 Bodans conversion ownership I am now in the position to purchase a 2019/20 California for the first time since owningT25's in the 90's,the Bodans with admittedly only 1 after market sliding window didn't once suffer from any water ingress,with the California is it a given that I am going to suffer with leaking windows? this is the only issue that is giving me serious concerns.
Thank you

Have only had my Cali for one year, but have camped in torrential rain several times. I have to admit to being dripped on (only by a couple of drips) a couple of times, but that was solved under warranty. VW replaced the seal round the rear window. Never any issues with the 'camping' windows in the sides, or any cab windows.

Hello there
After 6 years of enjoyable T6 Bodans conversion ownership I am now in the position to purchase a 2019/20 California for the first time since owningT25's in the 90's,the Bodans with admittedly only 1 after market sliding window didn't once suffer from any water ingress,with the California is it a given that I am going to suffer with leaking windows? this is the only issue that is giving me serious concerns.
Thank you
8 yrs on and No.

Mine is 2009 t5 so different model but some may never realise the kitchen window leaking until too late.Just made modification to mine to resolve and make improvement on weak design .Please see pics attatched.Sealed round bottom of drain with more mastic and all good now.

Hello there
Thank you
If you search “leaking windows“ you’ll find lots of posts on the subject. My T5.1 side window leaked and was replaced under warranty. I don’t know whether VW have finally sorted out the problem. The other “historic“ problem to be aware of is roof corrosion….. worth a search! Again I don’t know if VW have resolved.

No leaks for 2 years from new but recently developed a leak in the drivers door, with water appearing inside the van at the base of the door card. It’s going to the VW workshop in a couple of weeks. I suspect that something may have happened when the door cable upgrade (recall) was done and it’s only just showed up in the recent very heavy rain.

Hello there
Thank you
2+ years and no leaks on mine!

I agree that when reading posts on leaking windows it looks kind of inevitable! Personally we’ve not had the issue yet. I did post on a recent thread whether with our collective experience and knowledge whether we could devise a predictive maintenance type task, or at least a test. So far I’ve had no takers, so perhaps it’s not as bad as the negative posts would have us believe ? !

I agree that when reading posts on leaking windows it looks kind of inevitable! Personally we’ve not had the issue yet. I did post on a recent thread whether with our collective experience and knowledge whether we could devise a predictive maintenance type task, or at least a test. So far I’ve had no takers, so perhaps it’s not as bad as the negative posts would have us believe ? !
The replies are somewhat encouraging,maybe it's not such a common fault as I first thought.

The replies are somewhat encouraging,maybe it's not such a common fault as I first thought.
It is like most things. You have a problem you wish to vent your anger to someone. If you don’t have a problem then you get on with life.
Forums like this attract problems, rarely do they attract +tve posts.

Hello there
Thank you
Welcome, good luck with your purchase and take advantage of the huge amount of information provided by this forum. The search function will provide answers to most questions. :thumb

Another 2012 Beach here. Did have a leak in the early days of ownership. Fixed it myself by cleaning and then applying light smear of silicone grease to the rubber. Been fine since, (9 years) reapplied grease ever couple of years.
The Beach will show leaks easier as the water pools in the side moulding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a leak in my Cali's ...

Well, not from the windows ....:shocked