Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pull down blinds spring back!

Hope this is not to late it’s been a busy morning. The statement in the workshop manual says “the blind guide is bonded to the front roof reinforcement. It is therefore not possible to remove the blade guide without damaging it”. Hence it should be replaced the pats required are D180KD2A1 adhesive, N910945501 rivets *4, 7H7875119B and 7H7875120a guide rails. The riveting tool is Vas5072a with Adaptor Vas 5072a/1.

Hope that helps

Brilliant and massively helpful. Thanks again VW Guru for your advise and support to us all. You clearly take a lot of pride in your work and have technical knowledge to match.

On a more general note, I think lots of us have had issues with repair work not going as well as we would like. Sometimes because of the care taken but sometime because the proper procedure is not followed.

Is our expectation too high? Does a VW Dealer Technician learn this from years of experience and the knowledge being passed down through the generations or should we expect that the someone working on our vehicles should have read how to do it before starting from a manual? How is a Cali technician meant to know that there is a special tool for replacing a rivets for example?

Brilliant and massively helpful. Thanks again VW Guru for your advise and support to us all. You clearly take a lot of pride in your work and have technical knowledge to match.

On a more general note, I think lots of us have had issues with repair work not going as well as we would like. Sometimes because of the care taken but sometime because the proper procedure is not followed.

Is our expectation too high? Does a VW Dealer Technician learn this from years of experience and the knowledge being passed down through the generations or should we expect that the someone working on our vehicles should have read how to do it before starting from a manual? How is a Cali technician meant to know that there is a special tool for replacing a rivets for example?

Hi your expectation should be high you have an expensive vehicle that is a big part of your life and will have many memories you don’t want any of them to be bad.

From a point of view putting on my Official vw cap the workshop manual has full instructions on how to carry out every repair listing what tools to use and what components need to be replaced etc.

Technicians cap on we have all gone through years of training and have work routines that we have established over years of experience the vw manuals are at times over kill and make the job a lot longer than it needs to be.

From the point of view of your average tech When your up against time and bounus payments come in to how efficient you are then short cuts are taken. this is not always a bad thing for highly experienced techs but is for the younger less experienced technicians.

From my own point of view I’m not payed bounus and even when I was I don’t care about the pay or time it takes it’s all about the quality of work and customer satisfaction.

That was probably a long Winded way of answering your question but I suppose it really all depends on the skills,competency and morals of the tech working on your vehicle and wether they choose to follow the instructions

I don't think our expectations are too high. I think its more that many dealers probably don't see the California as something they want to get involved with, too much hassle. Which is why there's the euphoria on the forum when we find someone who does .. hats off to @Vw guru!
I imagine the dealers are provided with very precise guidance for all operations/repairs which would include details of any special tools.

Update...
Blodwyn is now with another dealer, she’s been there a week. It’s been discovered that the tall wardrobe and trim panel running above were damaged. The wardrobe alone costs 4K... this is damage which I didn’t find... the current dealer’s master tech did...
The next problem will be when those four rivets in the guide for the sliding panel are removed... if the holes are damaged goodness knows what will happen.
I need to talk about rejecting the vehicle... see what is said!!

This is awful, and I can’t believe this is still ongoing Guy.

I just went back through the whole thread again and I’m wondering why the name of the dealership has been edited out?

Isn’t this forum supposed to be a platform for open and honest discussion? Good, bad or indifferent?

This is awful, and I can’t believe this is still ongoing Guy.

I just went back through the whole thread again and I’m wondering why the name of the dealership has been edited out?

Isn’t this forum supposed to be a platform for open and honest discussion? Good, bad or indifferent?
I don't think the Name has been edited out as such. It just hasn't been mentioned as yet. That will be upto the OP to mention. Obviously, not keen to do so until everything is sorted.

I don't think the Name has been edited out as such. It just hasn't been mentioned as yet. That will be upto the OP to mention. Obviously, not keen to do so until everything is sorted.

Aah my mistake.

So, after five weeks and thousands and thousands of pounds worth of spares, in another dealers garage Blodwyn will be ready on Friday, following a successful habitation check.
There was so much damage which their “California Exepert, one of the best in the country” had done and not put his hand up to. It makes me wonder how many other vehicles he has damaged and not admitted to. Surely VWCV has to look very closely at this buffoon?!

Last edited:
So, after five weeks and thousands and thousands of pounds worth of spares, in another dealers garage Blodwyn will be ready on Friday, following a successful habitation check.
There was so much damage which their “California Exepert, one of the best in the country” had done and not put his hand up to. It makes me wonder how many other vehicles he has damaged and not admitted to. Surely VWCV has to look very closely at this bafoon?!

I very much doubt it but I’m glad Blodwyn is back how it should be :)

I very much doubt it but I’m glad Blodwyn is back how it should be :)
Hey Mr Guru, I haven’t forgotten your valuable advice, I am still very much in your debt!

There was so much damage which their “California Exepert, one of the best in the country” had done and not put his hand up to. It makes me wonder how many other vehicles he has damaged and not admitted to. Surely VWCV has to look very closely at this buffoon?!
The whole kitchen/wardrobe unit had to be replaced..!

How have they managed to fix the damaged roof where the rivets were messed with?

How have they managed to fix the damaged roof where the rivets were messed with?
Hey there, how’s your new bus?

Aparenly there wasn’t any damage to the base plate, so it was just a matter of new trim and rivets. I can’t believe the amount of damage their “expert” did!

Hey there, how’s your new bus?

Aparenly there wasn’t any damage to the base plate, so it was just a matter of new trim and rivets. I can’t believe the amount of damage their “expert” did!

It’s pretty poor!
Are VW going to hold them accountable for it?

Glad it’s sorted now though. Are you happy with Blodwyn again? I really hope so.

Our new bus is lovely. We need to get the sliding door adjusted as it’s rubbing slightly on the rear wheel arch. I won’t be taking it back to them though. Their tinters also need to come and redo a couple of windows with large air bubbles in but other than that we are really happy with it.

6E0CCF74-AF66-4DE7-B5E1-0F6C63901C17.jpeg
It’s pretty poor!
Are VW going to hold them accountable for it?

Glad it’s sorted now though. Are you happy with Blodwyn again? I really hope so.

Our new bus is lovely. We need to get the sliding door adjusted as it’s rubbing slightly on the rear wheel arch. I won’t be taking it back to them though. Their tinters also need to come and redo a couple of windows with large air bubbles in but other than that we are really happy with it.
Hey there guys,
Very happy with Blod’ now...
Sorry your bus isn’t quite right... Snows is defiantly under the spotlight. If the tinters can’t get it right, I went to a place in Wimbourne, superb, 7 year warranty! I don’t blame you for not wanting to go back to Plymouth. Simon, the Master Tech in Exeter is superb, I bought him a few beers to thank him for all his effort.
A pic of all the bits they had to replace... the kitchen wardrobe is in the box!

Last edited:
Just had the sliding door blind done for this problem. They fitted a modified lower trim panel under warranty and its solved the problem. Had to wait a few months as the panel was on back order from the factory. The mechanic angled the blind at around 30 degrees and pulled it out of the track to reveal a felt pad on the end of the blind runner which holds the blind down by friction, for how long who knows.

This is the blind runner at each end of the blind...note it has an appearance of felt ...when new the felt is lush but after years of service the felt wears.The felt offers resistance and drag as the runner runs up and down the aluminium track...please dont try to adjust the track, just but some velour fabric and cut tiny pads and glue them on...if you look closely you can see this is what VW do as the OEM...VW should offer this as a changeable part as they are bound to wear over time...

Did mine today and works like new...do one side at a time...

View attachment 37537 View attachment 37538 View attachment 37539

No insult but I do appreciate the apology :). Here are a couple of pictures of the parts I was saying about with the blind one I have just finished working on today. The felt on the black guide pointed out by my pick is what wares and causes the blind issue. It’s easily accessed and replaced no need to replace the blind.
I have solved my blind problem today by glueing on some velour fabric...self adhesive felt would be less of a faff...where can you soutcd the black felt used by the OEM

Back