Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pull down blinds spring back!

I, for one am very glad you are on the forum. Thanks for all your help and advice, much appreciated. :thanks

That I don’t know but I am one of those few California experts in the country and I’m definitely not awful

I’m sure you’re not awful, you seem to know what you’re talking about.
I’ve just asked vwcvcc if I can take my bus to a different dealer, I was told I can’t as they have to sort their mess out.
I’m not confident!

I, for one am very glad you are on the forum. Thanks for all your help and advice, much appreciated. :thanks
That I don’t know but I am one of those few California experts in the country and I’m definitely not awful
Ah, I think I may have inadvertently insulted you, I was talking about the rest of the mechs at that dealership.
Sorry about the misunderstanding!

66A2DDD1-AD64-4682-97F8-26D296504BC3.jpeg 47AE0556-1D9C-44DA-AB5A-BCCC91F53D8F.jpeg 70967DEE-9AC3-477F-8ABA-5354D2BE0111.jpeg
Ah, I think I may have inadvertently insulted you, I was talking about the rest of the mechs at that dealership.
Sorry about the misunderstanding!

No insult but I do appreciate the apology :). Here are a couple of pictures of the parts I was saying about with the blind one I have just finished working on today. The felt on the black guide pointed out by my pick is what wares and causes the blind issue. It’s easily accessed and replaced no need to replace the blind.

Ever considered setting up your own independent California Workshop? I think people would travel and pay just for peace of mind that their pride and joy was in good hands!

It’s crossed my mind on more than 1 occasion but I like to keep up with technology and 6 months out of a main dealer and the tech will change so I would rather keep my knowledge up and help people out as I can. Also my advice is free on here ;)

Ever considered setting up your own independent California Workshop? I think people would travel and pay just for peace of mind that their pride and joy was in good hands!
Totally agree. Something like CCN dedicated to Californias and people would travel, and pay for excellent service.

Totally agree. Something like CCN dedicated to Californias and people would travel, and pay for excellent service.
Linked to a overnight sleepover in the car park, could be a winner!

Thanks for the pictures, I get what you’re pointing out. As my wagon is under warranty I won’t be touching a thing, I wonder if the mech knows though?!!

Linked to a overnight sleepover in the car park, could be a winner!

Along a similar line - I picked up a new vehicle last weekend (not a Cali I know, but). They did the handover one day, that night you can sleep at their facility, on hook up, and test everything. The following morning, after they have ordered you breakfast, you go in armed with anything that doesn’t work properly or more importantly, any questions that you forgot to ask during handover.

I for one would have traveled to a VW dealer for that facility, especially if they had a @Vw guru on site.

4AB4C7C8-DADD-4C17-A8D0-562EFD14AFEA.jpeg FAF668A9-3FF1-4795-9354-A2A998D6F6CD.jpeg C718C376-6130-491D-894C-415333D81021.jpeg F2CA7A1E-7454-4512-B839-2E05A46B25AE.jpeg During the replacement of the blinds the roof lining was damaged, the roof lining was replaced at the same time the blinds were “fixed”.
I’ve just tried opening the roof and struggled to pull the concertina door above the drivers seat back.
I then found this.
How can anyone be proud of workmanship like this?
The rivets should be covered by some black Velcro-like material, that just peeled off!

View attachment 37636 View attachment 37637 View attachment 37638 View attachment 37639 During the replacement of the blinds the roof lining was damaged, the roof lining was replaced at the same time the blinds were “fixed”.
I’ve just tried opening the roof and struggled to pull the concertina door above the drivers seat back.
I then found this.
How can anyone be proud of workmanship like this?
The rivets should be covered by some black Velcro-like material, that just peeled off!

That’s completely unacceptable and there is a special vw tool (rivet gun with and extension) to fit those rivets also the guides for the roof slider should ha e been replaced as per the workshop manual as they are bonded on. Not only completely unsatisfactory Workmanship but also completely against the vw workshop manual instructions. Unforgivable in my book.

Hey Mr Guru,

Thanks for clarifying that for me.
On closer inspection the right hand side isn’t pulled down fully, if you push the plastic down the rivets stand up even more...
I’m so unhappy/stressed/fed up and disapointed...
I appreciate your input though, thank you. Any more would be more than welcome!
I’m seeing the dealer on Monday, if I have as much ammo as I can I can shoot them down if they try and bull me!!

Hey Mr Guru,

Thanks for clarifying that for me.
On closer inspection the right hand side isn’t pulled down fully, if you push the plastic down the rivets stand up even more...
I’m so unhappy/stressed/fed up and disapointed...
I appreciate your input though, thank you. Any more would be more than welcome!
I’m seeing the dealer on Monday, if I have as much ammo as I can I can shoot them down if they try and bull me!!

Well as I said they should have the correct special tool to fit the rivets and the guides should have been replaced and bonded down as per the vw workshop manual. I also think having looked at the pictures again they have used the incorrect rivets the genuine ones are a lot smaller and have a totaly Flat head to drop below the level of the guides.

The only thing I can say is that if this was a warranty job then vwuk will reject the dealers claim and the dealer will foot the bill not that that helps you but it may make you feel a tiny bit better.

Sadly it wasn’t a warranty claim, they were rectifying damage they caused when replacing the blinds the first time. Instead of removing the wardrobe to drop the panel, with the lights in above the kitchen, they pulled the roof lining down to drop the panel. By doing so they creased the roof lining and hoped I wouldn’t notice, they also damaged the panel with the lights, on both sides, as they were replacing both blinds. The air vent was lose on the r/h overhead too.

They didn’t put their hand up to admit anything before I started looking around. When their expert came over he said the creases in the head lining would fade in time!!!

The overhead locker doesn’t open squarely now, after the rectification of all the damage (they removed the wardrobe this time) and the wiring for the light and speaker look as it may get caught in the mechanism, not routed correctly!

I asked VW Customer Care if I could get an inspection carried out by another dealer, they said no as this one has to put right it’s mistakes!

Doesn’t look right to me... C6C6FA0E-BA46-4700-A97B-7B1486464A38.jpeg

Sadly it wasn’t a warranty claim, they were rectifying damage they caused when replacing the blinds the first time. Instead of removing the wardrobe to drop the panel, with the lights in above the kitchen, they pulled the roof lining down to drop the panel. By doing so they creased the roof lining and hoped I wouldn’t notice, they also damaged the panel with the lights, on both sides, as they were replacing both blinds. The air vent was lose on the r/h overhead too.

They didn’t put their hand up to admit anything before I started looking around. When their expert came over he said the creases in the head lining would fade in time!!!

The overhead locker doesn’t open squarely now, after the rectification of all the damage (they removed the wardrobe this time) and the wiring for the light and speaker look as it may get caught in the mechanism, not routed correctly!

I asked VW Customer Care if I could get an inspection carried out by another dealer, they said no as this one has to put right it’s mistakes!

I am at a loss for words I can’t believe they would do this much damage after messing up the first time. What time are you going in on Monday morning I can give you the tool numbers and part numbers they should have used so you can cross reference them against what they did.

They have tried to repair it cocked it up by not following VW procedures for repair and then cocked it up some more by taking shortcuts to put right what they cocked up it the 1st place. Then VW what the failing dealer try again.

I think I would seek legal advice. I would want another dealer who knows what they are doing to sort it out.
Could you not get another dealer to assess the cost of repair (ok it may cost you a fee) then take the failing dealer to court to claim the cost of the repair, costs including inspection fee and hire van.

Mr Guru, you’re great!

I travel home tomorrow evening so I won’t be too early...

They have tried to repair it cocked it up by not following VW procedures for repair and then cocked it up some more by taking shortcuts to put right what they cocked up it the 1st place. Then VW what the failing dealer try again.

I think I would seek legal advice. I would want another dealer who knows what they are doing to sort it out.
Could you not get another dealer to assess the cost of repair (ok it may cost you a fee) then take the failing dealer to court to claim the cost of the repair, costs including inspection fee and hire van.
I said that to VW, taking it elsewhere would have to be agreed by the dealer... fat chance!

I just don’t understand why they can’t do the job properly. They don,t seem to get that these cost a lot of money!

I’ve just found out that a small electrical harness has been incorrectly rooted, unlikely to cause a fire but it’s basic maintenance! I’m an aircraft engineer, imagine if my outlook was the same as theirs!!!!!!!!

Thanks Alan,

As it is still under warranty I’m going to put it to VW that it isn’t right...then go from there. I don’t want to fiddle with it then have another snag and then VW come back and say warranty is void, someone has been bodging!!!

There is a certain amount irony here, or is it just me?

:cheers :Iamsorry

Appalling.
I'd be looking at getting an engineers report and making a claim in the small claims court on the basis that you have already given the garage the opportunity to fix their initial cock up and can't trust them. Find out where @Vw guru works and take it there!

Back