Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Purchase Advice

R

Rutland Harry

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I wonder if the forum could offer some advice on the purchase of a T5 California SE 140 manual that will be a temporary summer camper while waiting for my T6 to arrive sometime this decade. I’m one of the many let down customers with T6 delivery times.

The van in question is in general all round good condition but does have the expected corrosion/bubbling to the front section that goes between the windscreen and roof and a nip/small mark on the bellows. Both these issues are very well covered on the forum and with the case of the bellows a suitable amount £600 has been taken off the purchase price. The rust/corrosion is a more difficult one the dealer has suggested they will get it fixed prior to collection using there trusted body shop. The dealer is a general motorhome sales establishment not a VW dealer. Now would you trust them to do the work or leave alone and take it to VW for the repair under warranty as it’s a 2012 (I assume the 6 year cover still stands?)

I’m committed to the van, deposit paid and if I’m going to stop them repairing the corrosion I need to tell them in the next couple of days.
Regards Andrew

The roof will be covered by the 6 year "goodwill" from Vw. When the roof is repaired the bellows are replaced, take the reduced price though;);).
If you have the reg number ring Vw customer service it might be on record and down for repair anyway.
It's a simple matter to register the roof at a main dealers and it will be good practice for your T6!!
Buy it and get an extra summer of Cali-ing.

Is this grey Cali, if so I may have seen it and personally I wouldn't let the dealer do the work and instead log it with VW. I was surprised when the dealer told me they would do the work as they will not have the experience with the problem that VW have in terms of applying the correct fix.

Thanks for the reply's I will stop the dealer doing the work and contact VW to progress things with the warranty work.
Seaview - Yes it is grey and has 23K on the clock if you have seen it in person and spotted any issues I would appreciate a heads up as I only have a deposit down at this stage. I will add I believe I'm getting the van at a good price so happy with some of the minor bits I noted. It compared well to some of the used vans I have viewed at VW dealers for 3-4K more.

I would get the corrosion work approved by VW before you pay the balance as we are still getting the odd report where the warranty work it is being refused. You will also need to check under the rubber seal on the main roof.

I didn't spot anything else but that said as soon as I saw the roof I knew that the vehicle wasn't for me but unlike you I don't have a t6 on order. Do you plan to trade it in or sell privately when your new Cali is ready s the warranty work may not be completed at that time as I believe there is a lengthy waiting list?

This buying a California lark is not easy, i thought buying new would be straight forward but that has been a nightmare, now buying used is being a pain. Looking on here it could be up to 2yrs to get the warranty work completed and I only plan to own the van for 3 months. If I don't take the dealer up his offer to complete the work now and then VW refuse the warranty claim I will be left with a rusty camper.

I plan to sell the camper privately based on the assumption that the part ex offer will be poor just like every thing else in the buying experience. I'm completely aware I will be down financially on the buy to sell price but really want to get out and about in a camper this summer. My partner thinks I'm mad and should just go out and buy a Range Rover Sport for a family car and traveling Europe this summer.

Seaview have you found a van yet? I have been very surprised how tatty a lot have been that I looked around at the 4-5yr old range and it does worry me how our new T6 will age. But I guess its like anything else if looked after it should last for years.

I don't mean to sound negative and I'm very much looking forward to owning a California, rusty roof or not.

Hi Harry, I think it is essential you get the front panel and main roof approved before purchasing this van, if your claim is rejected you could be out of pocket to the tune of £6,000 + depreciation, there is also a good chance it could become unsellable.

I and many others would not buy a secondhand Cali without it having been repaired or on the waiting list for repair to VW HQ spec at one of their named body shop's. It is a fairly simple to get VW to confirm they will do the work. Even if it is a 18 month wait it will be on the list for the next owner. If you want to buy this T5 I would say the sale is subject to being accepted by VW for repair. If your dealer's body shop does the repair and when it comes back VW would I expect not offer the full spec repair.
Why not rent for a holiday this year? (While waiting for your T6).
Most Cali's I spot that are a few years look as new and well cared for normally someone's "pride & joy"

As Andy says, you should rent for three months, even if hiring in peak period it will be cheaper than buying, dont forget you have road tax, maintenance to add to the cost, plus you could end up with needing new tyres and pads so this could end up costing you a fortune in three months of ownership.

In regards to the corrosion work, you MUST get this approved by VW before accepting the vehicle

I have found a 2015 Cali in well looked after condition with low mileage but I agree a few are in poor condition but overall most owners are careful. Mine doesn't have some of the options I may have chosen if ordering from new ie towbar (has prep), bike rack, ACC, sat nav but I reckoned that these items apart from the ACC can be added to the right base vehicle.

Personally I think unless you find a vehicle in good condition that will sell easily then I would most likely rent. If you were planning on keeping the t5 for a longer time then it may be worth considering at the price as 4k saving on a dealer price is significant and you would just join the wait for the warranty work to be completed.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Thank you for all that replied. I have spoken to VW commercial services this morning who were very helpful and confirmed the van is on the waiting list (number 33) and due to have the warranty works completed within the next six months, they even told the body shop it was assigned to etc.. They also confirmed this was fully transferable to me. I feel I can now buy the van with a little less risk as any future sale by me can be made with a the works completed if I'm still waiting for my T6 in 6 months or the assurance that VW are repairing the corrosion for any future owner.

I pick the van up next week so look forward to a summer in the California

As a side note I did look at hiring and based on a notional figure of £80 a day the van would need to lose around £5000 in deprecation to be worse off. I would hope that a California purchased at a reasonable price will not lose that sort of money even post summer.

Thank you for all that replied. I have spoken to VW commercial services this morning who were very helpful and confirmed the van is on the waiting list (number 33) and due to have the warranty works completed within the next six months, they even told the body shop it was assigned to etc.. They also confirmed this was fully transferable to me. I feel I can now buy the van with a little less risk as any future sale by me can be made with a the works completed if I'm still waiting for my T6 in 6 months or the assurance that VW are repairing the corrosion for any future owner.

I pick the van up next week so look forward to a summer in the California

As a side note I did look at hiring and based on a notional figure of £80 a day the van would need to lose around £5000 in deprecation to be worse off. I would hope that a California purchased at a reasonable price will not lose that sort of money even post summer.
That sounds like a result! I'm with you with regards to buying a Cali short term if you can afford it then it's the best way to go as opposed to hiring which is throwing money down the drain, even better if you've had £600 knocked off for damaged bellows which will be replaced anyway!
I'm doing something similar for work at the moment - I bought a T6 transporter in March but have just bought a used lwb Sprinter for the sake of one project I'm starting soon, when it's finished I'm going to sell it again. Have done the math and it should be cheaper than renting a van by some distance.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Back