Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Putting a cover over my beloved Cali Pros and cons

Autumn

Autumn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello, I am sorry if there is an upto date thread on this subject. I cannot find it.
I live in the Peaks and my cali is stored on a drive. It tends to get moss on it if left as the weather is wet and the drive is north.
If I buy a cover for it, will it rub on the paintwork?
Can I have some sound advice please because you lot are so knowledgeable.

Also are the tyres going to be okay, just sitting there? I invested in some all season tyres only last autumn. Thank you for reading.

Re tyres, if you can, move the vehicle a little bit every so often, to rotate the tyres.

A big source of harm to tyres is sunlight (maybe even in the Peak District!) and some caravan owners seem to cover their tyres up in the off season for that reason. But let's hope your van won't be out of use all that long so i personally wouldn't worry about it.

We use a cover on ours and I haven’t noticed it causing any damage to the paintwork.

We cover ours up as well to stop mold and bird dropping just wash the van before and i think it keeps prying eyes away.the only problem we have is cats tend to put their claws in it at each corner.make sure you drain the water tanks and charge the batteries once a month.

Hello, I am sorry if there is an upto date thread on this subject. I cannot find it.
I live in the Peaks and my cali is stored on a drive. It tends to get moss on it if left as the weather is wet and the drive is north.
If I buy a cover for it, will it rub on the paintwork?
Can I have some sound advice please because you lot are so knowledgeable.

Also are the tyres going to be okay, just sitting there? I invested in some all season tyres only last autumn. Thank you for reading.
I have a Protec cover and they are brilliant. Not cheap but designed to fit perfectly and can now sew in a clear panel if you have solar for leisure battery charging. They are breathable and fully waterproof.

I had a cover when I bought my new California being a bit precious about it I soon sacked it off when I discovered a blister on the aluminium roof yes the dreaded roof corrosion issue. My theory if you put a cover on in damp conditions you trap in the moisture and create a perfect environment for the electrolytic action between dissimilar metals on the roof. No problems since 7 years old now.

Inherited a cover for the van and thought that i might use it in summer if restrictions continue - the only good thing about UV light is it kills viruses. Quite hard to drive with the cover on even with holes cut for the windscreen.

Back